Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2020, 05:41 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,254,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
I'm not talking about the actual wearing of the damn mask, which I do when it's appropriate. I'm frustrated with the politicization of the whole thing. Do what you're going to do and be responsible for yourself and quit whining about how the world owes you safety and security. Nothing about life is safe or secure and I'm sick unto death of those who try to convince me that THEIR life is MY responsibility.

Sweet Jesus, some of you folks just need to turn off the TV and get a life!
Amennnnnnnnnnnnnn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 05:56 PM

2,264 posts, read 973,367 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about the actual wearing of the damn mask, which I do when it's appropriate.
How do you define “when appropriate”?

Speaking of politicization, I’m a libertarian conservative who believes the state has no business mandating the use of seat belts even though I religiously wear one when driving because it’s the smart thing to do. My philosophy is if you’re only free to do what’s right for yourself you’re no longer free. I believe the state has every right to mandate the use of stop signs though — or anything else which impacts others — because that’s the appropriate thing to do.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:29 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,550,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
How do you define “when appropriate”?

Speaking of politicization, I’m a libertarian conservative who believes the state has no business mandating the use of seat belts even though I religiously wear one when driving because it’s the smart thing to do. My philosophy is if you’re only free to do what’s right for yourself you’re no longer free. I believe the state has every right to mandate the use of stop signs though — or anything else which impacts others — because that’s the appropriate thing to do.

When I'm in the grocery store, hardware store, et cetera.

And good for you. Wear your mask 24/7 if that what makes you respect yourself.

Old 06-28-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
When I'm in the grocery store, hardware store, et cetera.

And good for you. Wear your mask 24/7 if that what makes you respect yourself.
I don't need to wear a mask anymore. I live in Taiwan where there hasn't been a new domestic case of Covid-19 transmission since April 12th.

When I did wear a mask it had nothing to do with self-respect. It was about survival, which meant I wore one whenever I came within six feet of anyone else other than family members. That's what everyone else did too without a whimper and why only 7 people out of 24 million died of Covid-19 here. As a result there was never a lockdown/shutdown and the pandemic was kicked to the curb, rather than vice-versa as in the U.S.

Old 06-28-2020, 07:32 PM

57,323 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
That's certainly the way my mama taught me to look at it!
Maybe your mother didn’t live in a pandemic where each persons actions could impact many others, this disease doesn’t stop at some mystical border.

Old 06-28-2020, 07:37 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,550,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Maybe your mother didn’t live in a pandemic where each persons actions could impact many others, this disease doesn’t stop at some mystical border.

If you say so.

Old 06-28-2020, 08:08 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
It have nothing to do with acting like bunch of spoiled brats and everything to do with denying government the power to tell us what to do. Vaccine will be another fight, many of us will refuse to get it.
No, it has everything to do with acting like a spoiled brat. Not wearing a mask during this pandemic is the equivalent of driving a car full of kids but not putting them in car seats or wearing a seat belt yourself.

Old 06-28-2020, 08:16 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,544,095 times
It's been proven to minimize spread...you don't need to bother with CDC or WHO....just look at how Asia has been using them since SARS back in the day. They even wear them when they have a cold. It is common sense.

Old 06-28-2020, 08:17 PM

Not wearing a mask isn't like not wearing a motorcycle helmet. It's like driving thru a four-way stop sign intersection without stopping.

I'm as libertarian as anyone. I don't believe the government has the right to mandate personal use of seat belts or motorcycle helmets on the basis that if you're only free to do what's right for yourself you're no longer free. I stop at stop signs though for everyone's sake, including my own.

Anyone who's fact-based though understands that whatever level of mask wearing is being done in the U.S. now is far from appropriate: https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/

Last edited by mathlete; 06-28-2020 at 08:29 PM..

Old 06-29-2020, 09:39 AM

41,976 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Freedom of non-verbal expression
Where is that guaranteed? And what is not wearing a mask expressing, exactly? Other than ignorance ...

Quote:
city's tried to ban pants being too low, court ruled that to be unconstitutional.
But the pants are still worn. That's the point.

Quote:
That's certainly the way my mama taught me to look at it!
What did your mother teach about community, society, and civic duty? I'm curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies