Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 06:54 AM

2,400 posts, read 755,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Among other things I put my flag out every fair weather day in memory of my Dad and the multitudes who gave so much of themselves in WW II. And the First Amendment, one of the things they were fighting for, unfortunately escapes the minds of many.
And the 2nd amendment. BTW, my Dad was in the 3rd Marine Division in WWII.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 06:55 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,808,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
How do you retire an old flag? (Serious question.) Is there a place you donate them to? I can’t see putting it in the trash.
You burn it. Ironic, no?

https://www.vfw.org/community/flag-etiquette

Old 06-30-2020, 06:55 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Unbelievable as it is, flag etiquette dictates you burn them if they are no longer in condition to be displayed.

I know, what???

It's true.

For extra added respect, many people fold them into the triangle that you use to store them in (or use them in military funerals) before you burn them, and then do it reverently.
Isn't this something Americans learn as kids?

Why do I as a Canadian know the proper protocol for retiring an American flag ? LOL

Old 06-30-2020, 06:56 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
The mere fact that there is a thread on this item, tells you all you need to know about where this country is at. We are finished.

Old 06-30-2020, 06:58 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,586,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Big difference between a ceremony respecting the flag and the desecration performance of those with no respect for the flag, the country or the citizens of the United States of America.

20,955 posts, read 5,548,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Unbelievable as it is, flag etiquette dictates you burn them if they are no longer in condition to be displayed.

I know, what???

It's true.

For extra added respect, many people fold them into the triangle that you use to store them in (or use them in military funerals) before you burn them, and then do it reverently.

I know. I just can't bring myself to burn a flag. Besides, the ones I buy are synthetic and synthetic fabrics just don't burn -- they melt into gross blobs of plastic. Also, a synthetic 3x5 flag is impossible to get folded the traditional way. I need to get off my rear end and get a well made cotton flag to fly on the appropriate days.

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Where I live now, people are proud to be patriots. A large percentage have served in the military, just about everyone has a family member either in active, reserves or National Guard.

This is a very rural area that went heavily Republican in the last election and folks here are still proud of their country.

Needless to say, very few democrats here so there's lots of American flags flying all year round.
i live outside washington dc.

i've discovered an infallible method to determine where republicans live: is there an American flag outside the house?

if so, a republican lives there.

Old 06-30-2020, 06:59 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Is it dangerous to put out a flag or show patriotism this Fourth of July?
I dont see any reason whatsoever to NOT put out the flag. Never heard anyone even hint that there is any kind of issue with it.

The notion what it is dangerous to do so is pure and complete nonsense, which only the hyper-fearful would believe. Having said that, it IS something certain people would WANT you to believe.

Fly the flag! Don't listen to people who want to instill irrational fear and division into your heart.

Old 06-30-2020, 06:59 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,548,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Big difference between a ceremony respecting the flag and the desecration performance of those with no respect for the flag, the country or the citizens of the United States of America.

Thank you Silvertip.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:01 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I don’t think a flag will be a huge problem unless it's something pro-Trump.
Yet people still vote for the racist democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies