Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 03:39 PM

63,007 posts, read 29,203,719 times

Advertisements

IMO, they should be worn with the idea of it protecting yourself (if you think they do) not others. Others can do likewise to protect themselves if they so choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 03:43 PM

8,389 posts, read 4,376,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Simply calling it illogical doesn't make it so. If it's so simple then why don't you actually address it with logic?

"If masks are so effective, then those wearing them are protected from the person not wearing one"

You know this already .. but here goes ....

Wearing a mask primary help protect others from you.

The major transmission route is airborne droplets. Should you cough, sneeze or just throw spittle while speaking, you are creating airborne droplets.

If I am near you, I may have a mask but if I don't have glasses, the airborne droplets could land in my eyes and I am now infected. Where if you had a mask, that could very well have been prevented.

Masks are not 100% effective. No one I have seen claims this. At best, masks help reduce the spread of airborne droplets by about 80%. Though its not perfect, that is significant.

So when you wear one, it reduces your airborne droplets and significantly reduces the spread. That is if YOU wear a mask. I can have a mask an you can still spew all over me, increasing my risk of catching what you may have significantly.

Therefor, my mask is not that effective protecting me from you. Its your mask that protects me from you making the posters argument illogocial.

If I wear a mask, its because I am trying not to make you sick. You should return the favor.

Old 07-02-2020, 03:44 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,271,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
IMO, they should be worn with the idea of it protecting yourself (if you think they do) not others. Others can do likewise to protect themselves if they so choose.
Actually they are most effective in protecting others. But even more protective when everyone is wearing them.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...-guidance.html

Old 07-02-2020, 03:51 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,736,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
The key passage from the article:

The purpose of the mask is to protect other people from you. The anti-mask people are always claiming that it doesn't protect them. That is not the point.

Masks will probably be mandatory. There are too many people who won't follow safe distancing guidelines and become spreaders. The masks are to protect the others from the spreaders.
The first sentence, or the last.......

If the mask is effective. Then those wearing them are protected from me, is what your first sentence says.

If the mask is effective. Then I am protected from them.

If your tiny droplets can't make it out of your mask, to me, then my tiny droplets can't make it in, to you.

As long as you believe that, you're protected.

As long as you don't believe that, it doesn't matter.

So why the fuss? Personal preference is going to arrive at the same result either way.

You wanna wear it, wear it. If someone doesn't, they shouldn't have to.

CN

Old 07-02-2020, 03:58 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,664,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post

If I wear a mask, its because I am trying not to make you sick. You should return the favor.
Nice gesture and I agree with you on this part. But your argument logically proved the party you were responding to, to actually be correct.

On the other hand, government mandated mask wearing is rooted in political science, not real science. Their absolute dereliction over this matter for the BLM protests/riots/demonstrations speaks to this. The Democrat governor of NC, who has mandated face masks in the state, absolutely had no problem marching in a crowd of 4000 with no mask because he's pandering to the Black vote.

Old 07-02-2020, 04:00 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,589,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post
The first sentence, or the last.......

If the mask is effective. Then those wearing them are protected from me, is what your first sentence says.

If the mask is effective. Then I am protected from them.

If your tiny droplets can't make it out of your mask, to me, then my tiny droplets can't make it in, to you.

As long as you believe that, you're protected.

As long as you don't believe that, it doesn't matter.

So why the fuss? Personal preference is going to arrive at the same result either way.

CN
It doesn't matter what you believe, especially if it has nothing to do with reality.

You're illogical.

The masks are meant to reduce emissions. Emissions come from spreaders. Since you can't isolate the spreaders, everyone has to wear a mask.

Old 07-02-2020, 04:06 PM

41,991 posts, read 75,271,349 times
Quote:
If masks are so effective, then those wearing them are protected from the person not wearing one, and they have protected the person not wearing one as well.

Argue that logic.
There is no logic in what you say. You know what a double layer cotton mask does - it minimizes the spread of the water droplets coming from the wearer's mouth and nose. It is on those water droplets that viruses hitch a ride. The tight weave of the mask catches some of the water droplets, reducing the spread of the virus that may be attached to the droplets.

This is basic biology and physics. Why on earth are people not getting this, even though it's been repeated over and over again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
The purpose of the mask is to protect other people from you. The anti-mask people are always claiming that it doesn't protect them. That is not the point.
Say it louder for the covidiots in the back row.

Quote:
That's not how it works! Repeat after me:

My mask protects you. Your mask protects me.

Pretty simple, no?

Quote:
Then those wearing them are protected from me, is what your first sentence says.
That's not what it says. Good grief, it's not that hard.

Old 07-02-2020, 04:34 PM

46,978 posts, read 26,041,916 times
Willful ignorance in pursuit of a political stance or a chosen philosophy is not exactly noble, but I can see how people can get overly attached to a viewpoint and ignore uncomfortable facts.

The sort of willful ignorance that benefits a freakin' virus over humanity as a whole, that baffles me.

Stop the incessant whining and throw your lot in with humanity and not COVID.

My skipper, who's 81, helmed his sailboat to another race victory last night. He wore a mask, as did the rest of us. If he can, so can you.

Old 07-02-2020, 07:14 PM

63,007 posts, read 29,203,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
There is no logic in what you say. You know what a double layer cotton mask does - it minimizes the spread of the water droplets coming from the wearer's mouth and nose. It is on those water droplets that viruses hitch a ride. The tight weave of the mask catches some of the water droplets, reducing the spread of the virus that may be attached to the droplets.

This is basic biology and physics. Why on earth are people not getting this, even though it's been repeated over and over again?

Say it louder for the covidiots in the back row.

That's not how it works! Repeat after me:

Pretty simple, no?

That's not what it says. Good grief, it's not that hard.

No, repeat after me. My mask protects me. Your mask protects you.

Old 07-02-2020, 07:17 PM

46,978 posts, read 26,041,916 times
Quote:
No, repeat after me. My mask protects me. Your mask protects you.
That is quite literally not how masks work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies