Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 06:24 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
Never seen a Water Moccasin but that would freak me out because the are sneaky and deadly. I’ve seen a few rattlers but they give you a warning first.
I went swimming with them when I was a kid --- not on purpose. No one told me there were snakes in the pond on my aunts farm, but I learned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 06:25 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I can answer why more Blacks don't play hockey. More Blacks live in the South than any other region. Not exactly the best place to play hockey. Most of the NHL's Black hockey players are from Canada, or other parts of the world.

As for national parks, I have done alot of hiking at Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park. I would come across Black hikers from time to time. Seeing Blacks there wasn't uncommon for me. It's surrounded by Marietta and Kennesaw, both are suburbs of Atlanta. One can get to that national park easily. Smoky Mountain National Park, I don't know the demographics of those who visit.

I will bring up something else. I had a conversation with a Black woman who was working for the NPS. She mentioned that more Blacks don't work for the NPS because, according to her, many Blacks don't feel comfortable going to certain places where they would be the only Black person in town out in some very rural areas (the nat'l parks in places like eastern Kentucky or parts of the Rockies). The feeling of "the locals will look at me funny" or "there might be hostility". Not saying that I would avoid those national parks. And I'm not saying that Blacks don't visit national parks or work at them. I know a few Blacks who have worked for the NPS. I was just bringing up what I was told.
And when does the bold stop being projected onto white people? I know you don't feel this way but obviously many do.

Old 07-03-2020, 06:28 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,034,155 times
I've had people "look at me funny" in those all-white mountain towns on my road trip to Glacier National Park but I didn't feel it was menacing: more of glances out of curiosity. Once I was in the park, I saw several people of the same nationality as myself and it wasn't an issue at all. The rangers were super friendly and helpful, too.

Old 07-03-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
White people make up over 76% of the US population. Why wouldn't white people be the majority at any public place they choose to go? Beaches, ballparks, national parks.....

The real complaint is that the US is a white majority country.
Not for much longer ...

People of color will be a majority of the American working class in 2032

"As the current population ages, the older population will remain predominantly non-Hispanic white while the younger population will increasingly be people of color. In 2043, 60.7 percent of people under age 18 will be people of color, while 64.9 percent of those over age 65 will be non-Hispanic white. Given the pervasive impact of race on nearly every aspect of American society, this demographic shift has implications for the future of the American economy, as shaped by the workforce, education, and politics."

Attendance at National Parks may be even more troubling after 2043 ...

Old 07-03-2020, 06:37 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Many moons ago, shortly after adopting my son we went to the local State Park to celebrate Labor Day. Its was his first real holiday with us. He had just turned 8. He hated it that first trip. Too many bugs. LOL. It was boring. The fish weren't biting. He did like the food however. haha

Now he ice fishes, (something I hate doing), he hunts, shoots and lives for Turing the National parks. Go figure. I think it's a cultural thing. I know a lot of white city dwellers who have a patch of woods they can't see through to the other side. The country isn't for everyone. Just like broadway plays, and the hustle and bustle of city life isn't for everyone.

It isn't racist that Blacks or minorities avoid National parks. It's about their priorities. They work all year, build up a finite number of days oof vacation, let them spend it as they see fit.

Old 07-03-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Many moons ago, shortly after adopting my son we went to the local State Park to celebrate Labor Day. Its was his first real holiday with us. He had just turned 8. He hated it that first trip. Too many bugs. LOL. It was boring. The fish weren't biting. He did like the food however. haha

Now he ice fishes, (something I hate doing), he hunts, shoots and lives for Turing the National parks. Go figure. I think it's a cultural thing. I know a lot of white city dwellers who have a patch of woods they can't see through to the other side. The country isn't for everyone. Just like broadway plays, and the hustle and bustle of city life isn't for everyone.

It isn't racist that Blacks or minorities avoid National parks. It's about their priorities. They work all year, build up a finite number of days oof vacation, let them spend it as they see fit.
City Mice and Country Mice --- two different mice, even though they may look the same.

Old 07-03-2020, 07:30 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
And when does the bold stop being projected onto white people? I know you don't feel this way but obviously many do.
Ah, we have a gaslight remark and a whataboutism.

Old 07-03-2020, 07:30 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Quote:
Ah, we have a gaslight remark and a whataboutism.
What?

I didn't mean anything other than what I said and it sure wasn't meant to offend you. Sorry you took it that way.

Old 07-03-2020, 07:37 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
I can answer why more Blacks don't play hockey. More Blacks live in the South than any other region. Not exactly the best place to play hockey. Most of the NHL's Black hockey players are from Canada, or other parts of the world.

As for national parks, I have done alot of hiking at Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park. I would come across Black hikers from time to time. Seeing Blacks there wasn't uncommon for me. It's surrounded by Marietta and Kennesaw, both are suburbs of Atlanta. One can get to that national park easily. Smoky Mountain National Park, I don't know the demographics of those who visit.

I will bring up something else. I had a conversation with a Black woman who was working for the NPS. She mentioned that more Blacks don't work for the NPS because, according to her, many Blacks don't feel comfortable going to certain places where they would be the only Black person in town out in some very rural areas (the nat'l parks in places like eastern Kentucky or parts of the Rockies). The feeling of "the locals will look at me funny" or "there might be hostility". Not saying that I would avoid those national parks. And I'm not saying that Blacks don't visit national parks or work at them. I know a few Blacks who have worked for the NPS. I was just bringing up what I was told.
You know why more blacks don't play hockey? The same reason most whites don't play hockey. It's too damn expensive and you have to start skating and playing when you're five.

There ya go. You've gone hiking and have seen black people hiking. We don't need to find out anything as though black folks need to partake in every activity on an equal level with white people, or there's some nefarious racial issue involved. Jesus H. Christ, am I tired of this b.s.

And I'm sorry she feels uncomfortable. Guess what? With all the violence taking place, a lot of white people feel uncomfortable and unsafe around black men because there might be hostility.

There's our equality.

Old 07-03-2020, 07:41 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Well, what part of PG County were you teaching in?

I also have to tell you this. There are plenty of White people who never see Black people, except on television. And I'm not talking about rural areas. I'm talking about rich enclaves out in the suburbs.
Name one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies