Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 01:03 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times

Advertisements

Haters of Trump now have to grovel to him for money.

Governor Walz Requests Federal Support to Help Rebuild After Civil Unrest

Governor Tim Walz today requested financial support from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to help Minnesota rebuild after civil unrest damaged public infrastructure and caused extensive fire damage in the wake of George Floyd’s death.

“We’re asking our federal partners to step up and help our communities recover,” said Governor Walz. “We need to come together to ensure Minnesotans who were victims of this destruction have access to critical infrastructure they need so they can go to the grocery store, pick up their medication, and live their lives. Together, we will rebuild.”

“We are committed to helping our communities rebuild, but we can’t do this on our own,” said Lieutenant Governor Peggy Flanagan. “While state, tribal, and local budgets are stretched thin by COVID-19, we need everyone to step up, including the federal government, to restore safety and critical infrastructure to our communities.”

You can destroy yourselves, but together we rebuild.

They let two or three days of destruction (which included the burning down of the police station along with any evidence of the Floyd crime) occur before the Nat'l Guard was allowed to act.

Over 10,000 public safety officials contributed to the effort to restore peace and safety, including the first full mobilization of the Minnesota National Guard since World War II. However, nearly 1,500 Twin Cities businesses were damaged by vandalism, fire, or looting. Current estimates of the damage exceed $500,000,000.

Now I understand the reflex action would be to say heck no with a whole bunch of other expletives.

I would say the debt matters, but it really doesn't right now.

So if we are just throwing money at people, maybe Trump can be creative with this and make them reinstate the police under certain criteria and guidelines of how they are run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2020, 01:52 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,029,360 times
No. Out here in california newsom is telling counties that he is going to withhold aid money unless they follow his rules. States and cities aren't even pretending to uphold immigration laws and are constantly violating the second amendment yet they still get federal dollars. Every topic seems to be explained by the old saying about the dems not having standards unless they're double standards.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:35 AM

20,346 posts, read 19,934,560 times
No way. This wasn't a natural disaster it was civil unrest.

MN's inept civil authorities allowed this to happen.

"Federal partners....." LOL!!!!

Old 07-05-2020, 06:38 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,760,894 times
Do NOT give them any money! They asked for this, condoned this, and looked the other way! Get the loser protesters to clean up their OWN mess!

Old 07-05-2020, 06:39 AM

2,400 posts, read 755,463 times
Minnesota is a rich state. They were running close to a 3B surplus before COVID.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:49 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
So we all pay to rebuild and what is going to prevent the destruction from happening again?

We might have learned something from these riots, primarily that Democrats are willing to let it all burn in the name of social justice, whatever that really is... But the bratty spoiled children that did all this damage during their tantrums, they didn't learn a thing.

There is no doubt that somewhere in the future an angry ready to fight black man will have a run in with a white cop that will not end well for the black man and we will be right back to where we were.

What is going to prevent another riot? The answer is not Biden in the White House, that is for sure.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:56 AM

30,641 posts, read 18,242,637 times
I hope that Minnesota and similar states whose political leadership not only allowed (but encouraged) such lawlessness don't get a dime! We should not be rewarding recklessness and irresponsibility. This is what happens when you grant the mob free reign over your cities and states.

Old 07-05-2020, 07:08 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,377,717 times
I’m confused where the false narrative came from that looting or burning was allowed or encouraged? I live here and paid close attention to all the speeches and actions taken by city and state leaders and there is no truth to this whatsoever. FEMA aid was provided to victims of civil unrest after the LA riots in 1992. I see nothing real different here.

Old 07-05-2020, 07:22 AM

30,641 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I’m confused where the false narrative came from that looting or burning was allowed or encouraged? I live here and paid close attention to all the speeches and actions taken by city and state leaders and there is no truth to this whatsoever. FEMA aid was provided to victims of civil unrest after the LA riots in 1992. I see nothing real different here.
Looting and rioting weren’t allowed? Then why in city after city did leaders fail to either ask the governor to send in the national guard to combat the looters and rioters, use their own police forces to do so, or otherwise take control? It was allowed and encouraged by failure to act and via the encouragement of mass gatherings generally (you know, during a deadly pandemic). These mayors and governors willfully let their cities and states burn to avoid upsetting the BLM crowd. And note, many in the BLM crowd also took part in and otherwise condoned the looting and rioting as some sort of sick act of righteousness against the system

Old 07-05-2020, 08:21 AM

20,346 posts, read 19,934,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
You're very confused, it seems.

City leaders retreated and turned their authority over to a violent, unelected mob.

They ordered their law enforcement (emphasis on "enforcement") stand down.

Unlawful chaos, looting, arson, shootings and rapes occurred.

Still confused?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies