Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 08:01 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I belong to one of those African-American families who have been hit hard by this virus. People talk about not knowing a single person whose gotten the virus, well I’m the opposite because I know too &+&$# many. I have had two brothers die along with numerous aunts, uncles, and cousins. I’ve even had a nephew die. One of my brothers lived in the DC area, while the other lived in the Cleveland area. The extended family member lived in the Cleveland to Detroit areas. All had insurance, none lived in poor areas. Most were professionals or skilled tradesmen. About half worked essential jobs, the rest were either retired or were able to work from home. Diabetes does run rampant in the family but not all who died had it. The weird thing is my family seems to get infected easier than other people, we have non-blood family members that have lived and cared for the infected folks who either never got it or it was so mild as to be non-existent. My sister-in-law was tested numerous times and has yet to show up positive, despite sleeping in the same bed as my brother and taking care of him without a mask or gloves.

What I’m trying to say is that race may play a role in who gets sick/sicker but that doesn’t mean it has anything to do with racism, systematic or otherwise. It may be all about genetics.
it's horrible to read how the virus has affected you and your family. I wish everyone would read your post and then riff off of that, instead of claiming the treatment is racist, the system is racist, etc.

It's especially hard to read yours, because it would be RATIONAL to consider the role of co-morbidities....and they probably STILL are the greatest factor. But your experience goes beyond a random anecdote of a single unusual case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 08:02 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I belong to one of those African-American families who have been hit hard by this virus. People talk about not knowing a single person whose gotten the virus, well I’m the opposite because I know too &+&$# many. I have had two brothers die along with numerous aunts, uncles, and cousins. I’ve even had a nephew die. One of my brothers lived in the DC area, while the other lived in the Cleveland area. The extended family member lived in the Cleveland to Detroit areas. All had insurance, none lived in poor areas. Most were professionals or skilled tradesmen. About half worked essential jobs, the rest were either retired or were able to work from home. Diabetes does run rampant in the family but not all who died had it. The weird thing is my family seems to get infected easier than other people, we have non-blood family members that have lived and cared for the infected folks who either never got it or it was so mild as to be non-existent. My sister-in-law was tested numerous times and has yet to show up positive, despite sleeping in the same bed as my brother and taking care of him without a mask or gloves.

What I’m trying to say is that race may play a role in who gets sick/sicker but that doesn’t mean it has anything to do with racism, systematic or otherwise. It may be all about genetics.
And your conclusion is very likely, but since it runs against leftist narratives, it won't be amplified in those fora.

Old 07-13-2020, 08:40 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Why Even Healthy Low-Income People Have Greater Health Risks Than Higher-Income People

"The health of people with low incomes often suffers because they can’t afford adequate housing, food, or child care. Such living conditions, and the stress they cause, can lead to higher rates of tobacco and alcohol use and increase the risk of health problems developing or worsening over time.

In addition, partly because they are more likely to be unable to afford care, people with low-incomes use fewer preventive care services. As a result, there are fewer opportunities for practitioners to assess and educate these patients about their health risks."

https://www.commonwealthfund.org/blo...r-health-risks
There you go... Self-inflicted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies