Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 02:41 PM

628 posts, read 209,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Exactly. I guess it helps the Democrats sleep at night pretending the unwoke history of their party does not exist.

The only leader to order the destruction of a city by atomic weapons was a Democrat. Or are they now pretending that Truman was a Republican too?
I can't decide whether your last paragraph is a red herring logical fallacy or a non sequitur logical fallacy.

Either way, it's irrelevant to whether or not the Dixiecrat shift occurred in the south.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:45 PM

19,233 posts, read 17,110,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Jim Crow laws were all passed and enforced by Democrats.

Civil Rights Acts passed because a higher % of Republicans voted for them than the Democrats.
Wrong answer, 153 Democrats and 136 Republicans passed it... What a surprise all the Dixie-crats of the Southern States voted nay

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/88-1964/h182

Old 07-09-2020, 02:49 PM

25,590 posts, read 17,318,658 times
Quote:
Confederates fought and died for the Democrats. Now they kick over their graves' tombstones.
This Southern Republican has come to believe that The Confederacy has outlived its usefulness. We would all be better off without the flag and without the memorials, with the exception of actual battle sites.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:50 PM

37,195 posts, read 19,238,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Doesn't bode well for Antifa and BLM. What terrible ****ing people **** on their own soldiers' graves when it doesn't suit them anymore?

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...rch-dc-suburb/
Confederates fought and died for the conservative slave owners. The Democratic party was the conservative party then. Read a little history.

Then come back and tell us why democrats destroying democratic monuments would cause any republican to get his nose out of joint..

Old 07-09-2020, 02:51 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,406,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_and_Sticks View Post
The south literally declared it, so yeah.

A rightfully-governing body is not "invading" when a legal subordinate defies the law.

This usage of "invasion" is extremist rhetoric from the wrong side of history, mate.
You might want to read my Post #211 in the other thread "Why do people fly the Confederate flag":

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...e-flag-22.html

It is currently on the last page.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:51 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,812,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
What a bunch of BS.

Confederates fought and died for slaveowners
That doesn't justify grave desecration.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:53 PM

2,707 posts, read 1,034,689 times
My ancestors didn't fight for a political party or for slavery, they fought because their homeland was invaded by an Army intent on subjugation. I don't apologize for that not one single bit. I am honored by what my ancestors did and always will be.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:54 PM

One thing to remember, folks, especially to those who are offended at the notion that the Dixiecrat shift occurred, remember that nobody here is accusing you personally of anything.

The only reason to get offended at a fact of history would be if you personally draw your identity from a political party. You aren't the party and aren't guilty of something someone else did just because you might align politically with the party in name or practice 150+ years later.

Don't think people are accusing you of being racists. Just understand that the political dogma of the modern party is the political dogma of the other party as it was 150+ years ago. That's all. They've basically switched names.

That's not your fault. Nobody should be blaming you for that.

Don't deny history, though.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
You might want to read my Post #211 in the other thread "Why do people fly the Confederate flag":

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...e-flag-22.html

It is currently on the last page.
"Me and my little family didn't, therefore no one else did, either."

The south officially declared it during that period of time. Whether you agree with it or not is irrelevant. It happened. Good on you, though, for rejecting racism.

(I didn't read your post, sorry, and have no intention of reading that thread)

Old 07-09-2020, 03:01 PM

25,590 posts, read 17,318,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
Slave owners who were all members of the democratic party.
Not true at all.
In Natchez, MS, the second wealthiest city in America, there was no support for the war. The plantations there were almost all owned by Yankees who had come to the South to make their fortune. Slavery was just part of how business was done.
In 1860, the Presidential vote in Natchez went to John Bell, a man who opposed the expansion of slavery and opposed secession.

Surprised? ......... Most people are.

Come visit. You may not want to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies