Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2020, 06:57 AM

8,151 posts, read 3,678,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
He'll be re-elected because the majority knows regardless of what the media tells you that when the professionals were saying we need not worry President Trump instated a travel ban which greatly slowed down the spread buying a lot of time which saved hundreds of thousands of lives. Love him or hate him the man deserves credit.
The "travel ban" did not do much for reasons discussed ad nauseam.

Old 10-13-2020, 07:16 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
https://www.worldometers.info/corona...country/china/

As of January 31st - 11289 total confirmed infections
Your article shows a graph titled: Daily New Cases in China. Set the graph to "Daily Cases" and then Mouse over the graph and it shows the dates and numbers of newly diagnosed infected. It shows that on Jan 25th 688 people were infected, and 2099 more on Jan 31st. This is why Trump placed travel restrictions on flights from China. I don't see what your criticism is.

Quote:
BTW, you did not answer my question.
I have answered your comments multiple times. The president does not have the power to stop Americans from freely moving about, so he cannot make it illegal for citizens to travel to and from China. He did stop foreign travelers, and instituted quarantine procedures.

I don't know what criticism you are making. Are you saying Trump should have declared something akin to martial law back in January? During the impeachment hearings? You don't think the dems would have crucified him for that, saying he was pulling a political stunt.

Old 10-13-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
yawn. Also of note, we had some of the lower case #'s. A mask isn't a guarantee. It lowers probability. Taking it like the OP does shows a amazing lack of comprehension.

Seat belts dont make accidents 0 deaths either. GASP!

Who knew?
Seat belts is a horrible analogy. Seatbelt prevent you from flying out of your seat. A cloth mask does not prevent you from breathing in the virus.

Masks which are not the equivalent of the N95 mask don't lower the possibility of being infected. they simply cannot filter out the micro droplets of the virus. All the masks are for is to stop an infected person from sneezing on you.

Even wearing an N95 mask will not protect your eyes from the virus circulating in the air around you. If an infected person not covering their mouth will sneeze and send saliva and phlegm into your face, getting it in your eyes, and contaminating you so that you might get a contact infection. Those cloth and cheap surgical masks DO NOT stop you from breathing in the virus.

Old 10-13-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Your article shows a graph titled: Daily New Cases in China. Set the graph to "Daily Cases" and then Mouse over the graph and it shows the dates and numbers of newly diagnosed infected. It shows that on Jan 25th 688 people were infected, and 2099 more on Jan 31st. This is why Trump placed travel restrictions on flights from China. I don't see what your criticism is.

I have answered your comments multiple times. The president does not have the power to stop Americans from freely moving about, so he cannot make it illegal for citizens to travel to and from China. He did stop foreign travelers, and instituted quarantine procedures.

I don't know what criticism you are making. Are you saying Trump should have declared something akin to martial law back in January? During the impeachment hearings? You don't think the dems would have crucified him for that, saying he was pulling a political stunt.
Lol, I said "total cases" - 11k +. You are welcome to double check.

Citizens and residents are obviously always allowed to come back. The problem is the majority got in with no checks whatsoever, let alone quarantine. And as I said, with huge numbers coming from the hot spots. This is why I said, that the "ban", while touted as a huge achievement, was actually close to useless. Why don't you check what Taiwan did in similar circumstances? They had zillion people coming back from China. Or maybe check what Hawaii did later.

Same way later with Italy, etc, people were coming back, there were no tourists anyway, do you get it?

Old 10-13-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Seat belts is a horrible analogy. Seatbelt prevent you from flying out of your seat. A cloth mask does not prevent you from breathing in the virus.

Masks which are not the equivalent of the N95 mask don't lower the possibility of being infected. they simply cannot filter out the micro droplets of the virus. All the masks are for is to stop an infected person from sneezing on you.

Even wearing an N95 mask will not protect your eyes from the virus circulating in the air around you. If an infected person not covering their mouth will sneeze and send saliva and phlegm into your face, getting it in your eyes, and contaminating you so that you might get a contact infection. Those cloth and cheap surgical masks DO NOT stop you from breathing in the virus.

Lol. Yes, they do. They lower the load (dose), thereby lowering the probability of infection. The obvious fact that nothing is 100%, and you might still get infected is just that - obvious, but it does not help your point in any way.

Another obvious fact is that a "good" mask is "better" than a bad mask.

Old 10-13-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
the question isn't whether people who got COVID were wearing masks. It's whether the people who DIDN'T get it were
This is anecdotal, coming from people I know or work with. There are people living with an infected person, or working closely with them all day, not wearing a mask, and never got the virus. So...

Old 10-13-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Lol. Yes, they do. They lower the load (dose), thereby lowering the probability of infection. The obvious fact that nothing is 100%, and you might still get infected is just that - obvious, but it does not help your point in any way.

Another obvious fact is that a "good" mask is "better" than a bad mask.
That's like say a colander lowers the amount of water that can pass thru it. You are probably referring to an infected person wearing a cheap mask, where some of their larger droplets collect on the inside of the mask. If you around a person who is infected for 15 minutes, your cheap mask is all but useless. Cite a study that shows wearing a cheap mask around an infected person will protect you. The mask does nothing to stop the virus from entering thru your eyes.

We are seeing junk science anecdotal studies designed to push the cheap mask agenda. the only purpose of these cheap masks is in case you are infected, you will not sneeze all over other people or common use surfaces.

Old 10-13-2020, 08:10 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryons View Post
A good reply.....Its good some people here are awake!!
You call a a person in denial of this pandemic "awake"? You should learn how to high five the truly awake folks, not sound asleep deniers.

So there is no pandemic according to this deep asleep denier?

A pandemic (of a disease) is a disease that's prevalent over a whole country or the world.

I bet you high five flat earthers and those who think we never landed on the moon as well.

Old 10-13-2020, 09:07 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
You call a a person in denial of this pandemic "awake"? You should learn how to high five the truly awake folks, not sound asleep deniers.

So there is no pandemic according to this deep asleep denier?

A pandemic (of a disease) is a disease that's prevalent over a whole country or the world.

I bet you high five flat earthers and those who think we never landed on the moon as well.

And everybody who doesn't agree with you is just plain wrong! Must be some world you live in. Is it nice to be the one and only true arbiter of what is fact?

Old 10-13-2020, 09:16 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skandalon View Post
There are outliers on both sides. As I said, one should do their conscience and not force it on others as there is just as much *proof* for one side as there is the other. To call someone a conspiracists because they believe differently is the action of a child. Do the homework and do what *you* feel you need to do, but you cross the line when you tell me what to do.
If you're asserting that the mask guidance is ineffective and the real reason is it's some worldwide government psyop without evidence... Simply ask your doctor about it. If you then further assert that the whole medical community is "in on it". Yeah, that's a pretty far fetched conspiracy theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies