Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2020, 06:38 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times

Advertisements

https://theconversation.com/what-psy...r-minds-150343

Quote:
With mask wearing and social distancing, it’s down to the individual to decide whether or not to comply, yet what influences compliance isn’t straightforward. Demographic factors such as income level, political affiliation and gender have all been associated with whether people choose to wear a mask and socially distance.

However, psychology can go some way to explaining why behavioural differences occur. Past research has shown that psychological factors such as an individual’s perception of risk and tendency towards risky behaviour influence adherence to health behaviours. This is now being seen in the current pandemic.

One preprint study (yet to be peer reviewed) has shown that a greater propensity for risky decision-making goes hand in hand with being less likely to appropriately wear a mask or maintain social distancing. In another piece of research, perceptions of the risk of COVID-19 are cited as a driver of whether people decide to socially distance.

Pretty interesting article from a psychological point of view.

I put it here, instead of Psychology, because (I guess) masks are controversial today.

There is no reason for controversy because they protect others from droplets. But, I guess that's what we've come to this year

Old 12-10-2020, 06:47 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Ahh the ole deplorable angle

Old 12-10-2020, 06:53 PM

2,774 posts, read 902,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

I put it here, instead of Psychology, because (I guess) masks are controversial today.

There is no reason for controversy because they protect others from droplets. But, I guess that's what we've come to this year
I continue to be amazed at the number of mental health experts who hang out on CD. Coincidently they are all from the left. If one expresses an opinion, even a well informed opinion that goes against the established media narrative, they obviously have mental health issues.

Old 12-10-2020, 06:58 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,782 times
I wear them in stores because they require them, but it comes off the second I leave the store. I know it’s anxiety, but I have a hard time breathing and I’m claustrophobic.. I hate them, I did buy a blingy mask with Merry Christmas in sequins.

Old 12-10-2020, 06:58 PM

18,449 posts, read 8,275,501 times
too funny....

so their perception is right....

..and anyone who has a different perception is wrong

Old 12-10-2020, 07:13 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

They don't, actually. Here's the "psychology" behind why I don't wear a mask: From day 1, (you can see my posting history), I said this was overblown.

It is overblown.

*You don't quarantine healthy people.
*You don't make healthy people breathe in their own breath all day while they are out.
*You don't tell me how to take care of myself. I take care of myself.
*Masks are absolutely pointless, mainly because they don't do jack all, mainly because no one is even using them correctly, or have the correct type, but also because stupid mask morons think that they no longer need to leave space between them and others, and even more mainly because people are still out there touching every damn thing they can put their hands on, AFTER twiddling with their contaminated masks, not washing their hands, and spreading their crappy germs all over the place like they have been doing all along. No one can just look with their eyes, they have to touch every damn thing they see.

What people should have done was advocated for people to use disposable gloves when using the gas pump, or going into a store, or touching an ATM, or a card reader at check out, etc.

Instead, they wanted to fight the dumb battle of "muh masks" which they:

a) aren't using any that protect against anything, nor do they protect anyone else
b) don't even use them properly - don't dispose of them after 2 hours or don't wash them in boiling water after every use (fabric masks)
c) keep messing with them while they wear them, and then they want to touch everything they can see after doing so.

Here's all you need to do:

Leave space between you and others. If that means you have to wait to walk down that grocery aisle, OH WELL.

Stop touching everything.

Wash your fricken hands.

If you feel that you need to cough or sneeze, you don't need to dictate to everyone that THEY must wear a mask just because you (general "you") can't be bothered to cover your disgusting nose and mouth, instead, you need to use your sleeve, or a Kleenex, or a handkerchief, and then, go wash your hands, just like your mommy taught you when you were a tiny child.

Don't give me this BS about masks. Don't give me this BS about lock downs.

Big box stores that are crowded all the time are "safe", but small businesses with just a few people in them are "deadly and dangerous!!! shut them down!"? Really? REALLY PEOPLE?

Singing "happy birthday" is "dangerous" because apparently we all speak like Daffy Duck? You buy that BS? REALLY?

The stupid lock down didn't work.

The stupid masks don't work.

People have been locked down, people have been wearing the masks (the majority of people), and yet, we still have "Covid deaths" (allegedly).

What no one ever talks about?

Age of person who died.
The pre-existing conditions of the person who died.

I WONDER WHY THAT IS.

But, sure, a piece of cloth over your face is the armor against this stupid virus.

Let's talk about the psychology of those who are easily fooled by fear, and are getting closer to the front of the line at the slaughter house they're being led to...that's where the real danger lies.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:57 PM

2,774 posts, read 902,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
too funny....

so their perception is right....

..and anyone who has a different perception is wrong
Not just wrong. Mentally ill or so the mental health experts say.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:02 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,248,178 times
What psychology can tell us about others who spend their time worrying if everyone is wearing a piece if cloth over their face

Old 12-10-2020, 08:38 PM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
people are living day to day, they don't care about wearings masks. Millions of people in this country never listen to the news, they have no idea what's going on and really don't care.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:38 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
The areas I've traveled in my state show very few people wearing masks. They do in stores because the idiot-that-was-governor-but won't-be-after-January-1st declared he would fine stores not enforcing his mask edicts.

I've only seen one mask nazi yell at a customer for not wearing a mask in that store since the panicdemic started. Many stores in my area don't even force employees to wear one, but we customers mostly do it to protect the store owners from the mask gestapo.

Just as an aside, my state has one of the lowest infection rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies