Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 10:37 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

...suddenly now wants everyone to homeschool? Hypocrites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 10:46 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,255,242 times
No. I haven't noticed anyone wanting everyone to home school.

Old 07-16-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
No. I haven't noticed anyone wanting everyone to home school.
So... they WANT kids to return to B&M school attendance? Since when?

Old 07-16-2020, 11:00 AM

2,902 posts, read 993,620 times
Here's how it works: you have a risk, so you try to mitigate that risk. Under "normal" circumstances, most people are way too stupid to be teaching children. But if sending your spawn into a classroom will cause a deadly virus to flourish even further, I guess we have to take what we can get. Maybe some parents will even get smarter as a result. Silver lining.

The usual "homeschooling" parent is a religious zealot whose reasons for not sending their precious progeny to the public school system is that they refuse to vaccinate. They prefer to keep those kiddos close in order to teach that the world is only a few thousand years old and Jesus was yeehawing while riding dinosaurs.

You can see why rational people might find this approach problematic. However, since we're in a pandemic, it's a free-for-all. It is up to parents to decide if they're going to have the dumbest kids who've ever roamed the planet of if they'll step up and do things that need to be done.

Old 07-16-2020, 11:02 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Yeah! Also notice how people who will get all in your grill about stopping at red lights are perfectly fine with ambulances and whatnot just zooming straight through?

Old 07-16-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So... they WANT kids to return to B&M school attendance? Since when?
Everyone I know is choosing what is best for their family. Some are choosing home schooling, some are choosing a sort of hybrid situation with a small group of other families, some are planning to send back to the school building in whatever form is allowed.
Who are these theys? Most people I know would not vote for Trump so I guess they are your definition of theys. The majority of voters will most likely not vote for trump if you believe the polls - is every single one of them in your they category?

Old 07-16-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerk View Post
Here's how it works: you have a risk, so you try to mitigate that risk. Under "normal" circumstances, most people are way too stupid to be teaching children. But if sending your spawn into a classroom will cause a deadly virus to flourish even further, I guess we have to take what we can get. Maybe some parents will even get smarter as a result. Silver lining.

The usual "homeschooling" parent is a religious zealot whose reasons for not sending their precious progeny to the public school system is that they refuse to vaccinate. They prefer to keep those kiddos close in order to teach that the world is only a few thousand years old and Jesus was yeehawing while riding dinosaurs.

You can see why rational people might find this approach problematic. However, since we're in a pandemic, it's a free-for-all. It is up to parents to decide if they're going to have the dumbest kids who've ever roamed the planet of if they'll step up and do things that need to be done.
I don't think most people are "way to stupid".
I think most people have jobs that they need to do so that they can support their families and it is hard to do your job and also home school your children.

Old 07-16-2020, 11:10 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,727,348 times
Quote:
To add on to this, going with a "virtual" option, where the majority of the teaching your children receive is still from teachers at a public school, is not the same thing as home schooling.

Old 07-16-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Where's the scientific evidence that school-age kids are anything other than a nearly non-existent vector for COVID-19 spread? Several European countries have released studies indicating they're not.

Quote:

Wow. Just wow. Poorly-educated, non-intelligent take on what really happens with homeschooling.

Quote:
"Let me share some facts that may surprise you. Overall, children with homeschool experience typically score 15 to 30 percentage points higher on standardized tests than students who have only been educated in traditional public schools. A 2015 study found that Black homeschoolers outscored Black public school students by a range of between 23 and 42 percentage points. “Homeschool students score above average on achievement tests regardless of their parents’ level of formal education or their family’s household income.”

Ok. I’m going to repeat that last part. “Homeschool students score above average on achievement tests regardless of their parents’ level of formal education or their family’s household income.”
https://chicagounheard.org/blog/fell...hooling-thing/

Old 07-16-2020, 11:12 AM

107 posts, read 46,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I don't think most people are "way to stupid".
I think most people have jobs that they need to do so that they can support their families and it is hard to do your job and also home school your children.
This!

I would expect 75% of families have one parent who is smart enough to teach elementary school. If you’ve been to a college campus you’ll realize that the majority of elementary education majors aren’t exactly geniuses. Plus, when home schooling you get to work one on one with your child, so it’s much easier than being a classroom teacher. The only reason more people don’t do it is lack of time and the fact that they’re being forced to pay thousands in taxes for their schools so they feel obligated to utilize them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies