Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 08:58 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,120,050 times

Advertisements

Thank you, I'm fully aware of the definition of victim. So, being opposed to the terms frequently coined in regard to Hurricane Katrina means I need to know something about it...other than hearing about it on every media outlet for the past 2 1/2 years...this is a similar argument to "you can't talk about the war if you never served"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 08:59 PM

595 posts, read 2,347,578 times
Considering 99.99% of destroyed homes in New Orleans were a levee failure, and those levee failures did not meet their design spec and failed far below their max capacity at holding water back...

Victims of the Federal Flood would be more accurate.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:01 PM

Or victims of a sinking city...

Old 04-29-2008, 09:03 PM

Not sinking.

Very little of New Orleans is subsiding at this point or it is mostly stabilized. I live in an area of the city at the Mississippi, 3 blocks from the only deepwater port on the Mississippi River which did not flood.
And areas such as St. Bernard which was 110% destroyed is above sea level as is a majority of New Orleans itself. See where the canal levee walls failed. In the outfall canals for the drainage. The Lake and River levees held.
Besides 33% of the oil in the United States comes through pipelines cut though wetlands just south of New Orleans which allowed saltwater intrusion into the wetland marsh which used to serve to cut down storm surge.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:05 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,152,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Or victims of a sinking city...
Keep broadcasting your ignorance, because it shows loud and clear there.

And be sure to trust everything the media told you about Katrina! There were no discrepancies to what really happened at all!

Old 04-29-2008, 09:08 PM

New Orleans Sinking Faster Than Expected | LiveScience (http://www.livescience.com/environment/060531_ap_norleans_sinking.html - broken link)

Quote:
"If we do things right, we probably can get another 100-200-300 years out of this area.''

Old 04-29-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Keep broadcasting your ignorance, because it shows loud and clear there.

And be sure to trust everything the media told you about Katrina! There were no discrepancies to what really happened at all!
My ignorance of what?! Of the fact that a hurricane is a natural disaster, that the city was flooded when the levees broke, that incompetant local and state officials left citizens in New Orleans to suffer, that troops were sent in to forcibly remove citizens from their homes and confiscate their firearms...that the Federal government was grossly incompetant as well.

So this entire discussion began because some people were offended that I do not truly believe these people are "victims"....

Old 04-29-2008, 09:12 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,273,434 times
I have a divided mind regarding Katrina and the people of New Orleans.

First, most of New Orleans is in a flood zone. What's more the vulnerability of the area to hurricanes has been worsened by flood control.

Second, when it was all said and done, Hurricane Katrina was a Category 3. It was by no means the monster it could have been. Of course, saying that a hurricane was milder than one thought is a relative term. But if the damage was this bad in New Orleans on what was actually the safer side of a Category 3 hurricane, then what happens to place when it receives a direct hit from a Category 4 or 5? It's inevitable, and no levee will be able to protect the city and property owners like the one in the article.

Sure I want to help people get their lives back together. But why are we pouring hundreds of millions, even billions of dollars into helping people rebuild houses that will almost certainly be destroyed again?

Old 04-29-2008, 09:13 PM

That conflicts directly with other geologists and hydrologists that have worked the problem directly.

Either way, why do you care? America takes its bounty of oil off the coast (which has contributed directly to environmental issues here), most of it's sugar, coffee, and seafood. It runs the only deepwater port on the Mississippi...ocean going ships cannot pass north of New Orleans.

Why do you care?

cpg: if you want your precious oil and goods up the river that's why. Besides even areas WELL above sea level, ie. Miami, Tampa Bay, Charleston, Savannah would be FLATTENED by a hurricane. Even Washington D.C. which is partially below sea level is at risk.
And most of New Orleans isn't a flood zone. I live in the city and I am not in a flood zone.

New Orleans doesn't want your sympathy, but there is a good part of New Orleans that received no flood water or no more than 1 foot.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:15 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,273,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampgrrl View Post
That conflicts directly with other geologists and hydrologists that have worked the problem directly.

Either way, why do you care? America takes its bounty of oil off the coast (which has contributed directly to environmental issues here), most of it's sugar, coffee, and seafood. It runs the only deepwater port on the Mississippi...ocean going ships cannot pass north of New Orleans.

Why do you care?
Why do I care? Because I'm a taxpayer that pays for these programs. That's why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies