Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 01:45 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,992,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
In a mere SEVEN MONTHS in the United States, 140,000 have died. By the time 12 months have passed, the death toll in the US will be 200,000 or greater. The flu does NOT kill 200,000 in the US in one year.

Estimates for flu deaths range 38,000 (2018-2019) - 61,000 (2017-2018).

In other words, to date in seven months, CV has killed 2.5x those who died of flu in the entire 17-18 season.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

Further, the lingering long-term complications are significant. Discussed ad nauseum on this board, but here is a synopsis:

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/07/...ow-about-long/

This should not be a disease anyone pooh-poohs. It could ruin your life.

Fortunately, we are getting to a place where early intervention therapies and antivirals can mitigate many of the awful aspects of this disease. See Coronavirus Science Thread on Current Events Forum. Severe illness/ventilator use, and death toll should continue to drop - even with increasing numbers of cases.

Still - it is early days. EVERYONE should make a concerted effort not to expose oneself - or others.
I think people point to the flu to create noise in the room. The fact is Covid-19 is like a novel flu like H1N1 stands in 1918 and to an extent 2009. In 1918 it was when we didn't have Tamiflu. In 2009, it was encouraged to get Tamiflu early on in the Swine Flu outbreak. Covid-19 is only comparable to SARS and MERS which both burnt out much quicker despite being deadly. Covid-19 unlike MERS or SARS spread worldwide while the other two Coronaviruses were largely localized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
The best estimate I heard was 1/4 of 1% and that's not even taking into account the probable number of those who were infected but never got tested due to having very mild or even no symptoms or just having it before testing was even available.
I had it at least 3 months ago when it went through my county and workplace. Now we're still wearing the masks( sort of) and still social distancing ( sort of) and I wash my hands like always. I'm glad most people have made more of an effort to wash their hands and thats probably stopped many other illnesses and the flu has been forgotten. But the infection rate has bottomed out. Its only where people were lockdowned early on where it hadn't gone through yet that people are getting it.
See the problem was we didn't know when areas would get hit four months ago. We just knew it was coming. New York got hit hard and fast but that's because it is an international travel hub. New Orleans got it due to Mardi Gras and the African-American community. Arizona and Florida were lucky that Spring Training baseball didn't cause a spike with the people going to the games. Native American areas in April/May were drastically hit due to lack of running water and comorbidities. The states that are swamped are states that are the Sunbelt states where young people have a number of nightlife or outside activity options.

It is going through Maricopa County bad. I went to Cardinals Stadium for a test today. I was indirectly exposed and due to having a potential family get together and living with my parents both with comorbidities, I had to when I noticed my cough got bad yesterday. Not that I was hacking up, just it was more consistent. My temperature is low and still have my sense of smell but I want to make sure that I didn't get it. Anywho, the parking lot was had a decent amount of cars when I was in queue for the spit test. Because it was a spit test, I will get it within 48 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 02:26 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,433,474 times
July 21st: 1,104 deaths...most since June 2nd.

COVID hears the headline and says "Here, hold my beer".

Old 07-22-2020, 06:11 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,127,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Speaking of tacky. You kind of prove the point. Conservatives have no empathy for anyone but themselves. Any decent human being would not attack someone for speaking openly about a painful loss, but here you are. I figured it was a wasted effort, and was not disappointed in that regard. It does motivate me to vote Trump out more than ever, and to work on helping the nation heal from the damage of his administration and all the monstrous people who have supported him.
Not just conservatives, if anyone claims they have empathy for people's dead fathers they don't even know, they're lying or socially posturing. We are human beings, we compartmentalize death. People are dying all around us, and unless it's in our inner circle, we ignore it.

You don't have really much of a point to add, except putting out that your father died and trying to use that as a shield. My father died long ago, of cancer, it's part of life, it's time to move on. I've had older relatives die of the flu, that doesn't mean I take the flu anymore seriously. Death is part of life, don't expect any special treatment.

Speaking of which, how is Mexico doing with coronavirus

Old 07-22-2020, 06:14 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,127,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
July 21st: 1,104 deaths...most since June 2nd.

COVID hears the headline and says "Here, hold my beer".
Smoke some of that Cali Kush, and chill, it will be all right.

Old 07-22-2020, 06:37 AM

42,016 posts, read 75,434,857 times
This thread has revealed the true pandemic: a shocking lack of compassion for fellow Americans and fellow humans. It's disgusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
CNN reports a study that shows "actual number of Covid-19 cases is far greater than thought". Well, if this is true, then that must mean the mortality rate is much lower than thought, right?
It means it's more communicable than we gave it credit for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Yea good point, just because this disease will only kill a small percentage of us, doesn't mean it isn't deadly. A lot of people will continue to die from this disease.
[sarcasm]Pfft. Who cares about dead people, or lingering health effects ... ? [/sarcasm]

I have learned enough about this disease to know that I don't want it, nor do I want anyone I know or even anyone I don't know to get it (that includes all the wacko deniers and conspiracy theorists on this board - I may think they're all crazy, but I wouldn't wish this on them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
We know who is most likely to get sick - elderly and people with health problems. If we just isolated them deaths would be less than the number who die from flu.
Tell that to all the previously healthy younger people who have been struggling with recovery for weeks, and who are faced with possible lifelong health complications because of COVID-19.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
They're just trying to obfuscate the scientific facts in furtherance of their political agendas. They've got an election to win.
Oh, the irony ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDaver View Post
My coworker who down plays the whole thing looks at a chart that has heart disease as the #1 killer and says we all have a better chance of dying in a car accident than a Covid death.
This is one of the deniers' most idiotic arguments, short of the conspiracy theories. Car accidents, heart disease, diabetes, etc. etc. etc. are not contagious. Their introduction into a debate is completely illogical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
A 0.5% rate, which is what the OP's study would truly suggest, would mean about 1.5 million deaths in the US if everyone was infected. How many deaths are acceptable to you? My father is one of the 145K. He died last Sunday.
I'm so sorry. Condolences on the loss of your father.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Whether your dad died of covid-19, a heart attack, or cancer, the loss is entirely on your shoulders and it's somewhat tacky to use his deaths in some vain effort to make a point.
This comment isn't "somewhat tacky", it's full-on disgustingly tacky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
But the infection rate has bottomed out. Its only where people were lockdowned early on where it hadn't gone through yet that people are getting it.
I don't think "lockdown" is a verb, but whatever ... What about the fact that infection rates are increasing in 40 states? Is that what you call "bottomed out"?

Quote:
Not just conservatives, if anyone claims they have empathy for people's dead fathers they don't even know, they're lying or socially posturing. We are human beings, we compartmentalize death. People are dying all around us, and unless it's in our inner circle, we ignore it.
Speak for yourself. Just because this post shows an incapability of compassion and empathy for someone else's loss does not mean the rest of us are.

Quote:
You don't have really much of a point to add, except putting out that your father died and trying to use that as a shield. My father died long ago, of cancer, it's part of life, it's time to move on. I've had older relatives die of the flu, that doesn't mean I take the flu anymore seriously. Death is part of life, don't expect any special treatment.
And now you double down on your initial repugnant and inconsiderate remark? Nice ...

Old 07-22-2020, 06:41 AM

4,038 posts, read 1,903,666 times
Yeah, I don't know how this could be news to anyone. We certainly discussed it at length here back in April-May.

I'm beginning to realize that reporters aren't any brighter than the rest of the room. I don't think they are (always) being sneaky - I just think there are many - many - people who did not know this - so it stands to reason lots of reporters don't either - and they think they're writing something new.

People - if you did not already know this - then please carry on with your opinions..But you must realize by now that your opinion for the last three months has been fairly uninformed. This might change it - might not - but maybe it will make you think twice before speaking.

Old 07-22-2020, 06:46 AM

7,249 posts, read 4,585,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
CNN reports a study that shows "actual number of Covid-19 cases is far greater than thought". Well, if this is true, then that must mean the mortality rate is much lower than thought, right?

Not only is it less deadly, it's likely over 10 times less deadly. Thanks for clearing that up, CNN.

Study says actual number of Covid-19 cases is far greater than thought
I can't believe they reported that.. I guess they have to as now world -o - meter is showing up only 6 % mortality rate with 4 million more cases to be counted.

Right now we can't get the numbers but the real way to count it is to count up the deaths this year and then subtract a typical years death... then get the real number. I am sure it will be less than 1%.

Old 07-22-2020, 06:52 AM

7,733 posts, read 12,658,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
140K not enough for you? I don't know about the "rowing" part of your name, but the second part seems about right.
140K deaths out of a country with 375,000,000 people. The blatant stupidity, dramaticism, and scare tactics among your ilk is ridiculous at this point.

Old 07-22-2020, 06:53 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,130,459 times
Quote:

Speaking of which, how is Mexico doing with coronavirus
Studies have shown that liberals tend to have empathy not only for people they know, but others even when they are not in their demographic groups. Conservatives, meanwhile, tend to only have empathy for themselves, their families and sometimes their direct demographic groups. Basically, liberals feel empathy for just about everyone, conservatives only feel it for people they know or people who are like them. This makes perfect sense in terms of overall policy and world view differences between the two. So saying that everyone ignores the deaths around them is not exactly true. I don't know you at all, but I empathize with you regarding your own father's death even though you seem to speak about it more as an inevitable inconvenience than anything else.

No, you're simply choosing to ignore the point. Death is certainly a part of life, but many deaths are preventable at the time they occur. When 30 children get gunned down at their elementary school or someone is killed in a drunk driving accident, simply saying "well that's life" is complete BS. Almost everything we do in life revolves around mitigating risk, either to ourselves or those around us. Taking the "that's life" approach to preventable death is not leadership or compartmentalizing, it's sociopathic. I am not demanding special treatment, I'm arguing that I care enough to want other families to not have to lose people they love before they should.

Old 07-22-2020, 06:59 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,130,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
140K deaths out of a country with 375,000,000 people. The blatant stupidity, dramaticism, and scare tactics among your ilk is ridiculous at this point.
Large changes in national security, the creation of a new federal department, a reduction in civil rights and a 19-year war are directly related to an event that claimed less than 3,000 lives in the US, and in which the average annual risk is less than getting struck by lightning, but at the same time, we're supposed to not give a crap about 145K people dying over just 4 months from preventable deaths directly associated with incredibly poor leadership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies