Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 10:06 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,561,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Whether your dad died of covid-19, a heart attack, or cancer, the loss is entirely on your shoulders and it's somewhat tacky to use his deaths in some vain effort to make a point.
First, you quoted a statistical post. Have you NO REBUTTAL for the data in that post?

Instead, in your current - hideous comment - you refer to a subsequent post wherein the point was made that deaths from COVID are real - she lost her father. Because all over this thread and this board, the deniers ask "who do you know who died from it" - or "who do you know that actually got it"....... like this has been a made-up calamity for seven months.

And, the best you can do is post an off topic slam to a remark which was totally ON-TOPIC?

Yes, sadly, people are seeing friends and relatives die every day from COVID - and these deaths have been reported on the Retirement Forum, the Current Events threads on COVID, and all over P&C.

So, now you know.....it isn't 'making a point' - these deaths ARE the point - and they are REAL.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 07-21-2020 at 10:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 10:21 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,405,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
We average about 34,000 auto deaths per year over the last decade; we have over 140K deaths from COVID with five months to go and with none the first two months.
That's ridiculous. There were undoubtedly lots of Covid-19 deaths in the first two months of this year. I know they aren't counted in your 140k, so your awful mistake hurts your own argument rather than helping it, but you might want to try to get your facts straight.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:03 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,470,377 times
None of this is news. CNN has been reporting since mid April that the reported number of cases of covid is likely only 10-20% of the true number of cases. Health experts already take into account all of that undercounting, and the overall death rate is still estimated at about one-half to one percent (it's 3.6% as of now if you only count reported cases). In other words, OP's little "discovery" is about as insightful as a brick wall.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:06 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,112,635 times
Quote:
Whether your dad died of covid-19, a heart attack, or cancer, the loss is entirely on your shoulders and it's somewhat tacky to use his deaths in some vain effort to make a point.
Speaking of tacky. You kind of prove the point. Conservatives have no empathy for anyone but themselves. Any decent human being would not attack someone for speaking openly about a painful loss, but here you are. I figured it was a wasted effort, and was not disappointed in that regard. It does motivate me to vote Trump out more than ever, and to work on helping the nation heal from the damage of his administration and all the monstrous people who have supported him.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:12 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,736,518 times
When CNN and MSDNC finally come around in a report, you know they are trying to get out ahead of something big coming to light soon.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:14 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,531,406 times
Quote:
WTF???

Alternatively downplaying this virus and claiming at every turn it's a Democrat conspiracy to win an election is the moral higher ground to you?

Old 07-21-2020, 11:27 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,576,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
That's ridiculous. There were undoubtedly lots of Covid-19 deaths in the first two months of this year. I know they aren't counted in your 140k, so your awful mistake hurts your own argument rather than helping it, but you might want to try to get your facts straight.
I have no idea what you are saying. Did they retroactively call some deaths COVID deaths from early February? Whatever the case, 140K deaths are 3.5 times more than even a year with a lot of car accident deaths with five months left to go - - those are the facts.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:32 PM

30 posts, read 15,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
CNN reports a study that shows "actual number of Covid-19 cases is far greater than thought". Well, if this is true, then that must mean the mortality rate is much lower than thought, right?

Not only is it less deadly, it's likely over 10 times less deadly. Thanks for clearing that up, CNN.

[URL="https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/21/health/us-coronavirus-tuesday/index.html"]Study says actual number of Covid-19 cases is far greater than thought[/URL]
I think the math actually works out to it being about 7 times less deadly than previously thought.

Old 07-22-2020, 12:34 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,781,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
None of this is news. CNN has been reporting since mid April that the reported number of cases of covid is likely only 10-20% of the true number of cases.
Yeah, I don't know how this could be news to anyone. We certainly discussed it at length here back in April-May.

Old 07-22-2020, 12:49 AM

24,449 posts, read 23,135,379 times
The best estimate I heard was 1/4 of 1% and that's not even taking into account the probable number of those who were infected but never got tested due to having very mild or even no symptoms or just having it before testing was even available.
I had it at least 3 months ago when it went through my county and workplace. Now we're still wearing the masks( sort of) and still social distancing ( sort of) and I wash my hands like always. I'm glad most people have made more of an effort to wash their hands and thats probably stopped many other illnesses and the flu has been forgotten. But the infection rate has bottomed out. Its only where people were lockdowned early on where it hadn't gone through yet that people are getting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies