Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 11:19 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,096,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
No, they'll probably just double down on their claims and insist that anything twitter posted is fake.
I hope so.

Funny thing is, many of his die-hard supporters believe that the only credible source for news and information is Donald J. Trump's Twitter feed, so they can't actually boycott Twitter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 11:19 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
No, they'll probably just double down on their claims and insist that anything twitter posted is fake.
Actually, it's quite understandable to believe that Twitter could have gone to that much of an anti-Semitic extreme. We only have to look to the NYT, with its Nazi-era cartoon and constructive termination of the Jewish reporter, or the Gay Rights Parade that disallowed the Jewish Star on its participants' flags, or a zillion other instances of antisemitism on the left, to believe it could have been intentional. (And didn't Facebook take FOREVER to finally ban the "Jews are Termites" Farrakhan?) Thankfully, in this instance at least, Twitter corrected their sloppy work and made an apology.

Old 07-22-2020, 11:20 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
First of all, I am more aware, and more thoughtful, than you give me credit for. (Do you honestly think I do not know of 1st amendment rights and agree that scumbag Nazis still deserve a defense?) In fact, I recall discussing this very case, WHEN IT HAPPENED in 1978, as a young lady, with my father (may he RIP), asking how could a Jewish lawyer possibly defend a bunch of scumbag Nazis who, if they had their wishes granted, would never have been born because his grandparents would have been tossed in the gas chamber.

The answer is way too complex to discuss here, but suffice it to say that you have hit on a key difference between liberal Jews, and Jewish conservatives. The place for the discussion is in Great Debates, and if you are interested, I could start that within the next day or two. It is a much more nuanced issue than you realize. Let me know if you are up to an intellectual debate, without insulting the conservative point of view.
I wasn't aware I was insulting any POV.

Old 07-22-2020, 11:22 AM

26,582 posts, read 14,449,955 times
Quote:
Actually, it's quite understandable to believe that Twitter could have gone to that much of an anti-Semitic extreme.

not IMO. i think it was beyond ridiculous to believe that twitter would have banned the star of david.

in this situation i've been proven correct.

Old 07-22-2020, 11:23 AM

26,582 posts, read 14,449,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Just more leftist antisemitism.

once again.......:

"We categorically do not consider the Star of David as a hateful symbol or hateful image. We have for some time seen the 'yellow star' or ‘yellow badge’ symbol being used by those seeking to target Jewish people."

-Twitter

Old 07-22-2020, 11:24 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,806,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
not IMO. i think it was beyond ridiculous to believe that twitter would have banned the star of david.

in this situation i've been proven correct.
People still believe Twitter banned this to shut down Jews? Oy vey!!

Old 07-22-2020, 11:25 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
once again.......:

"We categorically do not consider the Star of David as a hateful symbol or hateful image. We have for some time seen the 'yellow star' or ‘yellow badge’ symbol being used by those seeking to target Jewish people."

-Twitter
Falling on deaf ears....

Old 07-22-2020, 11:42 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,096,706 times
Quote:
Actually, it's quite understandable to believe that Twitter could have gone to that much of an anti-Semitic extreme. We only have to look to the NYT, with its Nazi-era cartoon and constructive termination of the Jewish reporter, or the Gay Rights Parade that disallowed the Jewish Star on its participants' flags, or a zillion other instances of antisemitism on the left, to believe it could have been intentional. (And didn't Facebook take FOREVER to finally ban the "Jews are Termites" Farrakhan?) Thankfully, in this instance at least, Twitter corrected their sloppy work and made an apology.
It's not believable at all, and whenever I read something that seems unbelievable, I seek to corroborate or disprove it before I start posting more divisive BS.

As for the gay rights parade issue, I think the objection was to the pro-Zionist symbolism. Many Jews are anti-Zionist, incidentally--it's complicated. But that is for another thread.

Two random facts:

1. Twitter is not antisemitic and it's not targeting and banning those who display the Star of David.
2. Trump loves Twitter.

Old 07-22-2020, 11:46 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
It's not believable at all, and whenever I read something that seems unbelievable, I seek to corroborate or disprove it before I start posting more divisive BS.

As for the gay rights parade issue, I think the objection was to the pro-Zionist symbolism. Many Jews are anti-Zionist, incidentally--it's complicated. But that is for another thread.

Two random facts:

1. Twitter is not antisemitic and it's not targeting and banning those who display the Star of David.
2. Trump loves Twitter.
What do you mean pro-Zionist? Having a Jewish star on the flag is announcing one's religion. Was there a map of Israel on the flag?

And P.S. What does "pro-Zionist" mean in the first place? The right of Israel to exist? I thought most Jews do not want terrorists to wipe out Israel. But as you say, for another thread.

P.P.S. A lot of unbelievable things have happened on the left. I would have thought it unbelievable for the NTY to run an anti-semitic, Nazi-era cartoon, but there you have it.

Old 07-22-2020, 11:51 AM

4,901 posts, read 3,362,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
https://www.jpost.com/diaspora/antis...twitter-635847

I wonder how many wokies on twatter sport the Star of David.
A significant percentage to be sure.

As others have said, this is likely a nothingburger and is more likely due to overly aggressive algorithms than any true disrespect of the Star of Remphan..er I mean "Star of David"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies