Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 06:04 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
No, you haven't, unless you allow this person to silence you. It doesn't matter if he doesn't like what you say, or if he left you a crappy review, you. are. NOT. SILENCED!

Yes I have been silenced on FB because I do not want to upset my business partner. I scrolled through my FB feed this morning and saw controversial topics that I would like to chime in on but I resisted and will continue to do so. Here on CD not so much. I will continue to add comments and start threads that offer different view points on current events and be respectful of other peoples thoughts no matter how ridiculous they might be.

The good news is that my partner got onto FB yesterday and made a complaint about the negative review citing hate speech, slander and the fact that the guy has never met us or experienced our work. They wrote back that it could take a while to review due to Covid and their reduced staff but this morning the negative review was gone.

Hopefully he will not be back again.

I just think it is so lousy that someone chooses to go out of their way to try and wreck your reputation because they did not agree with something you said but such is the way of the Social Justice Warrior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 06:22 AM

7,369 posts, read 3,533,397 times
you can't say things on social media at all political or non-political. Any unpopular opinion and people come out with their torches and pitchforks. Best to keep your opinions to yourself. It's amazing how much drama goes on with social media for such petty things. Social media has really turned into a sounding board for personal grievances. The best is when someone has a problem with how they perceived they were treated by a business or organization and go on to social media to validate their experience when they could have addressed it with the person or business face to face. Same goes for reviews, one bad review can really hurt your bottom line. And most times, they never even came to the business with a concern.

Old 07-28-2020, 06:29 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Yes I have been silenced on FB because I do not want to upset my business partner. I scrolled through my FB feed this morning and saw controversial topics that I would like to chime in on but I resisted and will continue to do so. Here on CD not so much. I will continue to add comments and start threads that offer different view points on current events and be respectful of other peoples thoughts no matter how ridiculous they might be.

The good news is that my partner got onto FB yesterday and made a complaint about the negative review citing hate speech, slander and the fact that the guy has never met us or experienced our work. They wrote back that it could take a while to review due to Covid and their reduced staff but this morning the negative review was gone.

Hopefully he will not be back again.

I just think it is so lousy that someone chooses to go out of their way to try and wreck your reputation because they did not agree with something you said but such is the way of the Social Justice Warrior.
The bolded: That is how you fight back. That is how you prevent morons from trying to silence you.

You not wanting to upset your business partner is not being silenced by some idiot. It's being respectful to your business partner not to discuss political, or other controversial things, on your facebook page.

You know, you don't have to use your real name on Facebook. They don't check unless it's obviously not a real name. So, if you want to continue debating (which, there is no "debate" on facebook, it's just shouting back and forth at each other), then make another account using an alias, and don't tell anyone you know about it. That way, you don't have to stop speaking your mind out of respect for the people you care about.

But no, idiot did not silence you - you still have a voice, and you still have the ability to fight back. I refuse to acquiesce to these mouth breathers, and you shouldn't, either, by claiming that they silenced you. No, your business partner did - and you obliged out of respect.

Old 07-28-2020, 06:32 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,552,074 times
It sucks that this is the way it is but...

I have long learned that the internet can be a scary place. There are a lot of people that want to silence you no matter what you say. I used to have a blog and I thought -- who would care about what I say -- but I got some cray cray and her minions who didn't like what I said and proceeded to try to put me out of business / try to find out who I was in real life and destroy my real life. It wasn't even political it was about a food lifestyle.

Thankfully I had used false information and she was not able to but still she literally took things like my e-mail and tried to search google to find out about me. The blog had to go and now I have serious concerns about ever starting one again.

There is even a website full of people making fun of others on the net and in some cases teaming up against them to find out who they are and embarrass them just because they don't like what they say.

I feel like liberals are more likely to be mentally unstable. If you are mentally ill you need the large government body to care for you. For your money, for your therapist so for them, it really is life or death if you say anything against it.

My suggestion to you is to have a false facebook page for speaking. I have that. I change my name and my photo frequently -- and my photo is taken from the internet. I used names that aren't easily traceable - like famous book or movie characters so if someone does a google search they will get 100K hits. You can switch back and forth between profiles. I only use my real profile for family and friends and never talk political on it. I never e-mail anyone as e-mail meta data had your ip address and location of your service provider.

Old 07-28-2020, 06:35 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The bolded: That is how you fight back. That is how you prevent morons from trying to silence you.

You not wanting to upset your business partner is not being silenced by some idiot. It's being respectful to your business partner not to discuss political, or other controversial things, on your facebook page.

You know, you don't have to use your real name on Facebook. They don't check unless it's obviously not a real name. So, if you want to continue debating (which, there is no "debate" on facebook, it's just shouting back and forth at each other), then make another account using an alias, and don't tell anyone you know about it. That way, you don't have to stop speaking your mind out of respect for the people you care about.

But no, idiot did not silence you - you still have a voice, and you still have the ability to fight back. I refuse to acquiesce to these mouth breathers, and you shouldn't, either, by claiming that they silenced you. No, your business partner did - and you obliged out of respect.

Thank you. I couldn't rep you again but I appreciate you reaching out.

Old 07-28-2020, 07:24 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
What did you say? Post it and let us determine if it was innocent or not.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:00 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Reason 1 I keep my FB to family and hobbies.

Almost wrote about a provable falsehood then realized that was a bad idea and scrolled past.
The 'hide all from this poster' feature is very handy in FB

Old 07-28-2020, 08:13 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,991,693 times
I think it smart to keep business accounts very separate from private accounts on social media.

I had a side gig doing regional technical security engineering consulting a while back. I allowed my FB account for that and my personal account drift into each other, and it ended up not turning out well for me.

But it wasnt due to political things at all.

Other than "liking" a post I see perhaps, I typically leave political things off of FB (I dont use any of the other ones).

I did break that rule, and annoyed some of my hippy friends/family members recently though, by leaving the comment of

"What kind of a Dad calls his daughter that! Child abuse!" to the below video I saw in my feed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHEG...7yjpSzj1GhRlV4

Old 07-28-2020, 08:44 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
I have now been successfully silenced by the kooks, doxed I guess it is called. I have now lost my Right to post an opinion on social media because of children that can't have an adult conversation.
Welcome to America.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:59 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
I do keep my FB lite with hobbies and fun things my mistake was responding to something an old work buddy sent me and a reader took it out of context challenged me and when I tried to appeal to his common sense as one adult to another used to do he did a bit of digging on FB and next thing he was cutting and pasting what he found to be offensive and conveniently leaving out the positive remarks that tied the whole conversation together and put those on al negative review of my company.
Error #1 was mixing business with personal opinion, but you learned that the hard way.
Error #2 was thinking that a Leftist was capable of “common sense”.
They live in a Rubber Bubble of total group think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
You can have those reviews removed.

A leftist cannot be reasoned with, as they do not respond to reason. It is like trying to carry on a civil conversation with a mad dog.

Of course a leftist would try to do something evil; they have corrupted and rotten souls who think nothing of levying harm on others. Most libs have no regard whatsoever for their fellow man; libs are long on virtue signaling, but in action are some of the most tight fisted, mean people I have ever encountered.
Good advice on getting the derogatory review removed. There are companies that do this.
The one thing that posters on City-Data have learned over the last decade is the corruption and vitriol of the Left. We are dealing with people that actually support Burnings, Looting, shooting children, destruction of Cities, fire bombs.

They are to be avoided at all cost because the “ cost” is too high - the goal is to destroy not only your life/career, but our Freedoms and System of Government. They WILL lose, they will NOT succeed, but they can/will do a lot of damage in the meantime. At the end of the day ... there are a LOT more Normal People who love this Country than their are the Nutters who want to destroy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
I get that, but why is the OP’s comments any more offensive or less relevant then those of the other party’s? Who gets to decide that? Each has equal right to share their opinion. Unless one can be factually proven to be incorrect, or one party is obviously promoting physical violence, there should be no consequences for either one. So called hate speech should be protected regardless of whether I agree with what is being said or not. As long as no physical harm is taking place, it should be protected under the first amendment.

Unfortunately, the Leftists SJWs are BULLIES and tolerate nothing less than dissenting opinions to be silenced. Frankly, it is the same methods used by totalitarian governments who want to silent dissent, it’s just wrapped up with some social justice bow. If you speak your mind your livelihood and even your life will be threatened. It is completely un-American.
These BULLIES have a lot of money, they are Power hungry and we know they think LAW does not apply to them ... just to the little people they want to conquer. They will eventually find that LAW does apply to them.

The alternative to that is for every town, City and State to become a War Zone like Portland, Seattle, New York City, Chicago and coming to a City near you. Officials can barely keep up with the daily death counts and people like Jerry Nadler - House Judiciary Chairman, says these daily deaths, Riots, Bombs, Burnings ... are a MYTH.

We have to save ourselves .... Remember in November and let nobody scare you away from voting.
In person is best ... those that will murder, burn, riot loot .... will certainly Cheat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies