Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 10:52 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
No, the reviewer went out of normal channels to malign the OP. It would be appropriate if the reviewer objected to the OP on Facebook, since Facebook is a place where it's not unexpected to share personal opinions. However it sounds as if the reviewer did research on what the OP posted on Facebook, took it out of context, and posted that on a business review website. That is harassment, especially since the reviewer never was a customer of that business.
Neither I, nor the post I was quoting, said anything contrary to the post above.

So.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 10:52 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Facebook is DEAD on arrival, swarming with Liberal censor police and NO LONGER a good place to be!
My daily lists on Facebook consists of polls from lonely people looking to spark up one word conversations. Things like "there's 5 1980's bands on an island with you, which one do you eat first?" Garbage like that...

Old 07-27-2020, 10:53 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
No one has to make phone calls either.
When my house catches on fire, or a burglar breaks in I should just shout for 911?

Old 07-27-2020, 10:54 AM

3,319 posts, read 2,340,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Reason 1 I keep my FB to family and hobbies.

Almost wrote about a provable falsehood then realized that was a bad idea and scrolled past.
Reason one that I don't use social media.

I can pick up a phone and either call or text my friends and loved ones. I don't need a middle man with questionable motives involved.

Old 07-27-2020, 10:57 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,254,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, I'm curious about what you said, Cape Cod Todd. If you said something mild, like "cops are human too and everyone makes mistakes and I'd sure rather have a cop for a neighbor than a street thug", you'll probably be fine.

If you said something objectionable - don't know.

I would respond to the accusation, and let it drop. When people read business reviews they want to know about pertinent things that would affect their experience doing business with you, not some hot headed rant, and we've all seen them on reviews.

But yes. In the future on Facebook, choose one of these three statements - "what a cute puppy", "oh, so sorry for your loss" or "wow, is that an eggplant"? That's it. That's ALL you should be saying on facebook.
If debate and discussion is limited to anonymous forums, then you have the other problem of trolling.

I think it's reasonable for the OP to be able to express a political opinion in a public forum without someone who disagrees pursuing a vendetta against his business. We should act like adults and not try to hurt other people for disagreeing with us.

All those asking what the OP said should consider whether it matters how a woman is dressed when she is harassed by men or worse.

Old 07-27-2020, 10:59 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,254,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
When my house catches on fire, or a burglar breaks in I should just shout for 911?
The 911 system only reached 50% of the population in 1987 and ATT was broken up in 1982.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:01 AM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
You didn't lose your right to post something on social media.

What you lost was your mistaken belief that taking your opinion public, thus making you a public figure within that limited sphere of the public, could be done without reprisal in the Hysterical Aggrieved States of America.

It used to be you had to choose to become a public figure, but now, social media allows anyone with a gripe to "take you public."
He lost his belief in the sanity of his acquaintances. The last few years have demonstrated that for vast numbers, mental illness is very close to the surface.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:05 AM

26,578 posts, read 14,449,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
My partner has done a bit of digging on her own and she has found out where he lives and what he does for a living. I don't want her messing around with this guy but she is angry. I'm more of a lets talk it out than a fighter but she is ripping mad and ready for a battle.

this won't end well.

if i'm researching a business on social media and come across some quid pro quo battle going on, i don't take the time to investigate who's right/wrong, i just make a quick mental note of "not going to happen" and move on to the next potential business.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:12 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Facebook is DEAD on arrival, swarming with Liberal censor police and NO LONGER a good place to be!
What ya talking about?-- FB is Trump's best buddy

What’s Facebook’s Deal With Donald Trump?
Mark Zuckerberg has forged an uneasy alliance with the Trump administration. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/21/b...uckerberg.html

I know nobody can open up NYT $

Zuckerberg once wanted to sanction Trump. Then Facebook wrote rules that accommodated him.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...rg-trump-hate/

Facebook audit paints 'deeply troubling' picture of company's response to Trump posts, civil rights issues

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/08/tech/...dit/index.html

Old 07-27-2020, 11:26 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I once thought that we were all adults that could have a healthy conversation about current topics but no.

An old work buddy sent me a snippet from an article on FaceBook, I commented as I sometimes do and some idiot was offended. On this site and others I never say anything intentionally inflammatory and never something that I wouldn't say to an adult if we were face to face. I do like to post alternative thoughts, ideas and "what ifs" to spark debate but not to offend.

The idiot engaged me in a debate over the topic and then he used my words against me. He took snippets of the conversation and used them out of context to write a terrible review of my company. Of course he left out the positive comments that I had also made. My coworker is not happy about this because she has worked hard to build out reputation. She wrote a kindly letter to the guy but I doubt he will remove his comments. She has also contacted the company that carries the comments and is looking to have it removed. It doesn't seem right that someone can give us a negative review having never met us or worked with us but there it is.

I have now been successfully silenced by the kooks, doxed I guess it is called. I have now lost my Right to post an opinion on social media because of children that can't have an adult conversation.

It is not right. I guess I will go back to sharing photos of cute puppies on FB. At least we still have this forum to chat in.
Hmmm...another victim of the social justice system.

I guess we need to understand the system in order to deal with it.

In this case, Todd has freedom of speech. An opinion is expressed. No laws are broken.

However, there has been an overlay of another justice system placed over the real existing justice system.

This overlay has no real power or legal authority - except for peer pressure. Justice in the social justice system is rendered by peer pressure. The courtroom could be via Twitter, Facebook, etc. or it could be by means of a protest. But the goal is to maintain a liberal environment of thought as the norm... as the correct line of thinking... conventional wisdom. And when the conventional wisdom is violated, then the court of social justice is activated - as it was in Todd's case.

People who have overcome the social justice system are those who choose to not be concerned with the peer pressure. Goya foods CEO stood up. Candace Owens stands up. Chik-fil-A owner has picked their spots - but they do want they want.

You can hide your identity when making opinions on line. You can't hide when making opinions in person.

You can do a bunch a research and make a contrary opinion and show a bunch of support of why the conventional wisdom is incorrect.

I guess I am trying to pin down this whole doxxing /social justice effort and try to think of solutions to counter it.

At some point, the conventional wisdom that is the liberal, communist way of thinking needs to be countered and removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies