Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 03:53 PM

256 posts, read 87,207 times

Advertisements

Did anyone see the show about Epstein on Netflix? Dershowitz said he did not have any recollection of ever meeting or sleeping with any of the girls. One of the girl's testified that she had been with him at least 6 times that she could remember and produced a photo of the two of them together. This could get interesting!

What was even more interesting in the show was that photos of Trump and Epstein kept popping up, with Trump at Epstein's place and Epstein at Mar A Lago. Right before Esptein's girlfriend was arrested by the FBI, the lead attorney for the Southern District of NY, Geoffrey Berman, got fired by Bill Barr. He was the one who was responsible for Epstein going to prison. He was currently investigating the girlfriend's case. Just seems too coincidental to me. Something is definitely not kosher with this entire thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 04:41 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I still don't know how you enforce that. How long to do have to date? Second date sex is rape but third date sex is OK? I think the easiest thing to do is ban all premarital sex. Or ban sex completely. People don't need to have sex - we can even reproduce with artificial insemination. Sex traumatizes too many women.
Good grief.

Old 08-04-2020, 07:24 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Does he not understand the difference between two teens having sex, and an adult person having sex with a teenager?
No. Maybe you can explain the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Age of sexual consent should be the same as the age of criminal responsibility. And it should be illegal for someone under the AOC to have sex with anyone, not just older people.
It is illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to have sex with anyone in California. I would not hold your breath on prosecutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
to lower the age of consent is an indefensible position regardless of your political leanings.
Great. Than HOW do you enforce violations of the age of consent laws? Who is it you are going to arrest and charge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You didn’t understand my point. An 18 year-old high school senior engaging in sexual activity with a 15-year old high school sophomore he’s been dating for months is very different than a 19-year old solider having sex with a 16-year old high school sophomore he picked up at the mall that afternoon.
I understand your point, but I don't see the difference. In fact, I would not see the difference if a 17 year-old high school senior engaged in sexual activity with a 15-year old high school sophomore.

Your second scenario would be legal in 24 states.

Old 08-04-2020, 07:27 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,775,066 times
Dershowitz has been sucking up to trump because he’s going to need a pardon.

Old 08-04-2020, 08:50 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,100,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Dershowitz has been sucking up to trump because he’s going to need a pardon.
There had been speculation that Dershowitz was sucking up to Trump to get the Supreme Court spot opened up by the death or retirement of Ruth Bader Ginsburg (hang in there Ruth). Now it looks like he'll have to set his sights a little lower, like staying out of prison.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:55 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,630,750 times
Dirshowitz needs to retire. We all know he’s an attention addict.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:48 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,255,257 times
Lower the age of consent? Not on my watch.

Children need to be protected at all costs.

No leeway or loopholes for pedophiles, period.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:51 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,758,698 times
In Trump's America hide your daughters. You guys are sick.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:16 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
It's a very tricky issue, and hard to legislate. I'm fine with getting rid of age of consent provided the people who are doing the sex are in the same age range. 14 has sex with 16 year old? Fine in my book. Not fine when she is 14 and the guy is 40/50 or whatever. How you write that into black and white in the law books is a trickier question.

During my school days, long ago, a girl got pregnant at 12, so even in my day having sex at 14 was not a shocker.
That's where I'm at .^^^ My big thing is the 18yo guy has sex with his 16 or 17 yo girlfriend and has to register as a sex offender.

Things get a bit sticky with adults in their early to mid 20s and "teens". That goes for men and women. Older women having sex with teenage boys is NOT uncommon. I saw it happening a lot growing up. Nobody ever flipped out over it.

As a teenager it never happened to me personally but I had friends who it did. More than one. But all through my 20s I dated women from early 30s to mid 40s.

But that's not really what the subject is here. Men or women that are having sex with 14 yo when they are full adults is more than odd to me. Not something I can even tacitly condone.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:26 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,443,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Our statutory rape laws are outdated and do need an overhaul.
  • The absolute liability concept tied to it is no longer applicable and needs to be changed.
    • The easy marriage remedy it was based on is no longer considered acceptable.
    • The assumption of just non-marital sex being illegal or immoral no longer applies.
    • The stakes for conviction are no longer a slap on the wrist.
  • It needs to be about age and developmental differences of the two parties, not some set-in-stone age. Charging someone with statutory rape the day after they turn 18, for sex with the exact same person they legally had sex with the day before, is ludicrous.
  • Sometimes the child involved is the aggressor and/or the more experienced partner, and that needs to be taken into account
Not that any of that applies to Epstein. I feel, however, that what does need to be considered is the age of consent at the time the sex took place, not the current age of content.
The problem with this approach is who determines what is an appropriate "developmental difference" aka reasonable age separation? To me, this is a very slippery slope. Many young people (both girls and boys) will say sex with an older adult was consensual, because they are being manipulated by the predator. That is why a hard age (like 18) is necessary for prosecution. Otherwise, half the cases would be impossible to prosecute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies