Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 01:49 PM

304 posts, read 160,368 times

Advertisements

I cannot for the life of me understand why people feel the need to defend the confederacy so much.

These are people who broke away and actively rebelled against the union. The tried to break apart the United States and yet Trump and a large chunk of the GOP want to preserve their legacy as some kind of heroism.
they are TRAITORS to the USA plain and simple.

Why do we need a statue in a traitors name, schools and streets named after them?

People say tearing down the status erases history but does it? We don't need a monument to Osama Bin Laden to remember 9/11 do we? Do we need a statue of Benedict Arnold? Lets have a statue honoring the legacy of King George. Ya know they one we rebelled against for independence.

So someone explain, why should the confederacy be honor like AMERICAN heroes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2020, 01:54 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Truly, a topic, the Confederacy (and the flag), has been done to death on this forum.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...ag-racist.html

Old 08-20-2020, 01:56 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Because our grandfathers were the grandsons of the soldiers who fought for the south. its not more complicated than that.

everyone loves their grandfathers. they are our childhood heroes. We all grew up listening to their stories with fascination.

OUR grandfathers saw their grandfathers in the same light. No one looks at Papa and sees a traitor. They see a hero and they trust his tales of heroism and hardship.

OUR grandfathers grew up and did what grandsons do. The built monuments to their heroes. We (not exactly me but you get the point) defend our grandfathers today because we love them. They are our heroes and we don't think they were honoring traitors... shoot most of them fought for America in WW1 and WW2 and Korea and Vietnam.

In 2 generations... kids that are being born today, will see all this with a strange curiosity. They will have no connection to any of it. It wont matter.

it is that simple.

Old 08-20-2020, 02:01 PM

2,400 posts, read 754,961 times
It was a different country back then. They truly believed they had the right to separate off from the republic. Kind of like how the Indians thought they had the right to live free, the crazy people that they were.

The Union didn’t have much moral high ground IMO. I do believe the slaves would have been freed by the south and their lives probably would have ended up much better had the south prevailed without northern interference. Who knows?

Old 08-20-2020, 02:03 PM

304 posts, read 160,368 times
So if my grandfather say sold secrets to the Nazi's or gave away his platoon position in Vietnam i would be justified in honoring him even though he turned his back on his country?

Old 08-20-2020, 02:07 PM

2,400 posts, read 754,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy84 View Post
So if my grandfather say sold secrets to the Nazi's or gave away his platoon position in Vietnam i would be justified in honoring him even though he turned his back on his country?
Are you kidding? Are you equating the Confederacy to Nazi Germany? America as a whole was responsible for slavery. The war ended the practice but before that it wasn’t a big issue for anyone except for the poor bastards who were living it. After the Civil War the Union went right back to subjugating Indians and forcing them onto reservations.

Did the good guys win? Really?

Old 08-20-2020, 02:10 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
I cannot for the life of me understand why people feel the need to defend the confederacy so much.

These are people who broke away and actively rebelled against the union. The tried to break apart the United States and yet Trump and a large chunk of the GOP want to preserve their legacy as some kind of heroism.

Why do we need a statue in a traitors name, schools and streets named after them?

People say tearing down the status erases history but does it? We don't need a monument to Osama Bin Laden to remember 9/11 do we? Do we need a statue of Benedict Arnold? Lets have a statue honoring the legacy of King George. Ya know they one we rebelled against for independence.

Well, they did not "rebel" against, they voted to break away, their break away was about as democratic and peaceful as it can get. I really cannot view people who voted to break away from a country, when no law stated they cannot do so, as "traitors". They did not want to overthrow the US, they wanted away from the US, that is a stark difference.

As for the statues and such, depends when and in what context. Those that were built as a big "middle finger" seems a bit odd to preserve, even construct in the first place, versus one on some battlefield or something, or one that was actually built during the War or immediately after.

I do think having US military bases named after CSA generals as being very strange, I cannot wrap my head around that one.

Old 08-20-2020, 02:14 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,738 times
Quote:

The colonies broke away from England, so by your metric the United States is a traitorous entity.

Old 08-20-2020, 02:18 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
Are you kidding? Are you equating the Confederacy to Nazi Germany? America as a whole was responsible for slavery. The war ended the practice but before that it wasn’t a big issue for anyone except for the poor bastards who were living it. After the Civil War the Union went right back to subjugating Indians and forcing them onto reservations.

Did the good guys win? Really?
That is a good point, and I admit to chuckling whenever I hear someone pontificate about the Confederacy being treasonous, because the nation that the South rebelled against went on after the war to subjugate the Indians in the West.

Old 08-20-2020, 02:20 PM

25,738 posts, read 18,809,520 times
It only holds a place of honor in the leftist mind. The reason being, by holding a place of honor, it then gives the leftist something to whine about, be offended by, and be outraged over.

As for the rest of us (and me specifically), I really don't give a **** about the Confederacy one way or the other. They did what they did, they held the beliefs they held, fought a war over it, and that's that. What they did was done over one hundred fifty years ago. I'm not going to defend or condemn it because I have no context or basis with which to defend or condemn. I didn't live through that time. I'll simply leave it at, "I don't agree with most of what they did and stood for." Case closed.

You folks' obsession concerning the confederacy makes no more sense than having an obsession with the Holy Roman Empire. Doesn't mean much today because it has been gone for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies