Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 01:10 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the CSA's soldiers, were just that soldiers and sailors that were fighting for their purpose, their "new" country.... those soldiers fought honorably...or as honorable as you can in a freaking war
Bravely, not honorably. There is no honor in fighting for a morally bankrupt cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 02:11 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,398,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy84 View Post
I cannot for the life of me understand why people feel the need to defend the confederacy so much.

These are people who broke away and actively rebelled against the union. The tried to break apart the United States and yet Trump and a large chunk of the GOP want to preserve their legacy as some kind of heroism.
they are TRAITORS to the USA plain and simple.

Why do we need a statue in a traitors name, schools and streets named after them?

People say tearing down the status erases history but does it? We don't need a monument to Osama Bin Laden to remember 9/11 do we? Do we need a statue of Benedict Arnold? Lets have a statue honoring the legacy of King George. Ya know they one we rebelled against for independence.

So someone explain, why should the confederacy be honor like AMERICAN heroes
The murderous and destructive riots in the streets today, founded on a lie, are one example of the civilizational chaos that drives people toward Confederate Sympathy.

The Federal government's power at the time of the civil war had been relatively novel, advancing, and highly controversial. Good luck with persuasively framing organized State level Rebels against encroaching Federal Power as "traitors" in a nation that was founded by a Rebellion.

Old 08-21-2020, 03:35 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
1. the confederacy was a union of states the seceded from the untied states..... just like California was threatening to do (Cal-exit) after trumpo's election

2. this new union (which is constitutionally allowed) disagreed with the taxation from the US..the tax was based on slavery and interstate commerce

3. the CSA's soldiers, were just that soldiers and sailors that were fighting for their purpose, their "new" country.... those soldiers fought honorably...or as honorable as you can in a freaking war

btw uhm the first 'shot' was by the north in 1859...browns raid...not fort sumpter

WHY was there shots on ft sumter....because the NORTH attacked and TOOK it.......On December 26th 1860 U.S. Major-General Robert Anderson moves his troops from Ft. Moultrie, in Charleston, South Carolina, and takes over Ft. Sumter.

face it the north was the agressors

btw, I am a northerner, and my family fought for the Union..my ancestor was the Assistant Sec of war, and my other ancestor was a Union MG at Gettysburg

the north was wrong to try to FORCE its agenda on the southern states..we lost more Americans in that war than ANY OTHER WAR COMBINED

4. remember one thing, the civil war was Americans -vs- Americans...brother against brother, I would not call the soldiers, traitors..they were soldiers doing what they new country told them to do... fighting an aggressor (the union) that trespassed and attacked the south
Why don't you include the source? American Stalin: Abraham Lincoln

It's 'Lost Cause' redux:

The Rancid Abraham Lincoln–Haters of the Libertarian Right

The small but foul pro-Confederacy strain on the right has proven stubbornly perverse, writes Rich Lowry.

Quote:
The dean of the Lincoln-haters is Thomas DiLorenzo, an economics professor at Loyola College in Maryland, who writes books and gives talks about the man he cleverly calls "Dishonest Abe" and believes was guilty of treason. His scholarship, such as it is, consists of rummaging through the record for anything he can find to damn Lincoln, stripping it of any nuance or context, and piling on pejorative adjectives. In DiLorenzo, the Lincoln-haters have found a champion with the judiciousness and the temperament they deserve.

He contributes to the website LewRockwell.com, the eponymous fever swamp of Lew Rockwell, who is widely suspected of having written Ron Paul's racist newsletters. Rockwell now serves on the board of the new Ron Paul foreign-policy think tank, the Ron Paul Institute for Peace and Prosperity.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-ra...ertarian-right

Old 08-21-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I know.

The slaves wouldn’t have been freed for at least another 60 plus years AT A MINIMUM!

They would’ve never allowed slaves to be freed until there was a machine to replace their labor, and that didn’t happen until the 1920’s. That means America would be about where we were in the 1950’s in racial progress...an absolutely atrocious time for African Americans. And that’s an optimistic view...it would’ve surely been much worse than where we were in 1950.

Slavery needed to end when it ended...1865. Actually, it should’ve ended after the Revolutionary War. 1865 was actually way too late.
Agree. 60 years minimum, likely more. Those enslaved were considered as property, how many folks give up what they consider to be property? Today? Back then?

60 years or more, maybe indefinitely.

Old 08-21-2020, 03:52 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Why don't you include the source? American Stalin: Abraham Lincoln

It's 'Lost Cause' redux:

The Rancid Abraham Lincoln–Haters of the Libertarian Right

The small but foul pro-Confederacy strain on the right has proven stubbornly perverse, writes Rich Lowry.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-ra...ertarian-right
People who are Libertarians are not fond of Lincoln at all. Only FDR has done such an expansion of federal power.

Old 08-21-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
People who are Libertarians are not fond of Lincoln at all. Only FDR has done such an expansion of federal power.
The Lincoln-haters are over the top, imho, as are most libertarians.

Old 08-21-2020, 04:03 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
I love quoting Thom Hartmann on libertarians - they're Republicans who like to smoke dope and get laid.

Old 08-21-2020, 04:07 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
I think Libertarians are unrealistic. But Lincoln was definitely an anti-Libertarian.

Old 08-21-2020, 04:27 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy84 View Post
I cannot for the life of me understand why people feel the need to defend the confederacy so much.

These are people who broke away and actively rebelled against the union. The tried to break apart the United States and yet Trump and a large chunk of the GOP want to preserve their legacy as some kind of heroism.
they are TRAITORS to the USA plain and simple.

Why do we need a statue in a traitors name, schools and streets named after them?

People say tearing down the status erases history but does it? We don't need a monument to Osama Bin Laden to remember 9/11 do we? Do we need a statue of Benedict Arnold? Lets have a statue honoring the legacy of King George. Ya know they one we rebelled against for independence.

So someone explain, why should the confederacy be honor like AMERICAN heroes
You obviously do not have a good grasp on history to claim the GOP wants to give reverence to their memory.
Instead they GOP is against book burning, destruction of art/history and believes everyone should have the ability to express their point of view without fear of intimidation or violence.
[That was something liberals on the left also use to believe]
But many on the left today want to act like ISIS;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E295VGKXpIo

or the Taliban;

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/flas...n-409457219869

As an FYI, the actual confederacy and their supporters have always been Democrats. They were defeated by the Union, led by the Republicans.

That fact aside, rest assured that many former patriots and great men fought for both sides, and it pitted brother against brother for a variety of reasons.

Personally I do not care aBOUT THE CONFEDERCY, but neither do I think like a Nazi or Islamic terrorist to where history represented through art, statues, etc., should be destroyed.
Our past is our past, and pretending it didn't exist benefits no one.

`

Old 08-21-2020, 06:02 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
The Confederacy was a dishonorable cause, much like the Nazi party.

I can't believe how blatantly racist that some people are to fly the confederate flag. Total racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies