Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2020, 08:05 AM

957 posts, read 538,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I'm pretty sure the previous poster was discussing how people like Oldglory are not familiar with the US, our Constitution, and our history as a result of being a foreigner. There's a lot of discussion around this in the illegal immigration forum. Foreigners come here and don't know our history and want to designate an official language here just like they have at their home country.

Their lack of understanding of our country while choosing to live here is discussed in this thread (among others): https://www.city-data.com/forum/ille...-recipe-2.html
Thank you... I may read that thread... however, theres no prerequisite to go searching previous threads, in order to respond to a thread in here.. based at face value of what is stated, therefore, Im fine responding as I did to the poster that I did
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
They can speak what they want at home.

But I'm not spending tax dollars to print 10 different versions of government forms and ballots to accommodate people too dumb or too stubborn to learn the language of the country they intend to either seek benefits from, or influence the politics of.
Ok.. I agree with this... that we should not be spending tax dollars (or even non tax dollars) printing govt forms (road signs etc etc) in different languages.
I do NOT agree that people immigrating over - are either 'too dumb or too stubborn' to learn the language of the country. There could be many reasons why they dont. I believe that the reason people 'expect' that everything will be written in umpteen million other languages is NOT because we have no 'Official' language in the US - but rather BECAUSE we HAVE pandered to all the different countries and set up that expectation. If we were to stop doing so... they would HAVE to learn English in order to take the Citizenship exam

Quote:
Teachers shouldn't have to be sourced from special places to teach the kids of people who put their children in public schools, etc.
I also agree with this statement... however, I do believe that offering ESL classes is a good thing - otherwise how will they learn?

Quote:
Learn English. For centuries it's been a key part of assimiliation and becoming American.

To immigrants, I say this: Simply showing up and planting your fat ass on American soil doesn't make you American. No matter what your stupid professor or self-appointed helpful white liberal friend tells you. Americans appreciate people who make effort. And it's your responsibility in exchange for the opportunity the country has afforded you.
As for this statement.. its downright rude and perhaps you shouldnt be allowed to play with rocks... from where you live.

Quote:
Side note: You will often see a contradiction in expectation among the "AMERICA HAS NO OFFICIAL LANGUAGE!" types. They will adamantly defend non-assimilation and balkanization of the United States along language and cultural fault lines in the name of "diversity"........ but then also be the first to guffaw along with Europeans who complain American TOURISTS don't know how to speak the language of the countries they visit, and want everything to be in English.
LOLOL it wasnt a complaint.. it was a first hand observation. Its clear that there are some people who have no understanding of the principles of the Golden Rule... nor even thought beyond the construct of the ID.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:17 AM

62,962 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaceyellis View Post
Oh man... first off... I havent attacked you in any way. I have merely stated things that you have posted which are incorrect.
Secondly... that wasnt rude of the other woman... unless she and your wife were friends.
If Im in line somewhere - lets say in Germany (only because my German is very rusty) and I was speaking with someone in line in (my rusty) German.. and then an American person came up - I would definitely switch to English to chit chat... and most assuredly if they were a friend and we were talking about things that werent any one elses business.
Lastly your wife doesnt KNOW that the two Hispanic women didnt know each other at all.. UNLESS she speaks Spanish and could understand that... in which case... why wouldnt she then join in the other two womens conversation?

Lastly... look back in the thread... someone DID say that the ONLY Spanish speakers in the US were here as illegal i mmigrants

This UNITED States would be so much better off, if people took the PLANKS out of their own eyes first....
No, they didn't know each other! After entering the store it was plain that the second woman knew English and they said to each "well it was nice chatting with you" and they went their separate ways. It was obvious that they didn't know each other. I didn't say that you personally had attacked me just stating that just because I have a difference of opinion on this issue I get attacked about it all the time in here. It was rude for those two Hispanic women to start speaking in Spanish in front of my wife when they both knew English.

The claim here by some is that if one is speaking Spanish (the only language mentioned) is that they must be here illegally. I do not hold that opinion.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:18 AM

2,180 posts, read 640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Theodore Logan View Post
So you think English should be mandatory in schools? Even Amish and Hasidic Jewish?
In Public schools, yes.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaceyellis View Post
Thank you... I may read that thread... however, theres no prerequisite to go searching previous threads, in order to respond to a thread in here.. based at face value of what is stated, therefore, Im fine responding as I did to the poster that I did
The claim here by the poster you are responding to is that I am a foreigner. That's completely false. My ancestors migrated here in the early 1900's and I am a third generation American and I was born here. Expecting foreigners to assimilate to English is not against the Constitution but those who choose to speak another language in public when they know English is just plain rude, "IMO"! I never said that they don't have the constitutional right to do so anyway!!! So yes, I am quite familiar with the Constitution on this issue I just happen to have a difference of "opinion"! What a spinmaster that person is.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, they didn't know each other! After entering the store it was plain that the second woman knew English and they said to each "well it was nice chatting with you" and they went their separate ways. It was obvious that they didn't know each other. I didn't say that you personally had attacked me just stating that just because I have a difference of opinion on this issue I get attacked about it all the time in here. It was rude for those two Hispanic women to start speaking in Spanish in front of my wife when they both knew English.

The claim here by some is that if one is speaking Spanish (the only language mentioned) is that they must be here illegally. I do not hold that opinion.
Well Im glad you dont hold that opinion.

I still say your wife could have misunderstood as I have said 'its been nice chatting with you' all the time to friends I meet up with unexpectedly out and about (when we were still allowed to go out and about!)

Had they said in English 'Well it was nice to meet you'... now THAT Would have suggested they didnt know each other

As for it being obvious they didnt know each other.. You werent there.. you dont know.. you are getting this second hand from your wife, who felt slighted

Old 09-07-2020, 08:24 AM

2,180 posts, read 640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaceyellis

As for this statement.. its downright rude and perhaps you shouldnt be allowed to play with rocks... from where you live.
Give me a break.

Americans who are not immigrants or who do not come from recent immigrant backgrounds don't understand how much your "tolerance" is often exploited as weakness by people who wish to do you harm or who have no intention of seeing you as a fellow American the way you want to see them. It's like you simply cannot imagine that POC and immigrants can ever have self-interest or negative motives. It's the "noble savage" narrative updated for the 21st century. Real talk: Not all immigrants want to "be American." They just want the American money. And that is WRONG.

Stop with the bigotry of lowered expectations. There are millions who want to come to the United States. There is no reason that the US can't be picking the best, brightest, and most committed to the American project.

No guilt-tripping here. I've told members of my own family to "go back home" when they started to express anti-American gripes. (Spoiler alert: They never do).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaceyellis
it wasnt a complaint.. it was a first hand observation. Its clear that there are some people who have no understanding of the principles of the Golden Rule... nor even thought beyond the construct of the ID.

You see zero difference between expectations for people who are visiting for a few days or a week..... vs. people who want to live somewhere PERMANENTLY?

Old 09-07-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The claim here by the poster you are responding to is that I am a foreigner. That's completely false. My ancestors migrated here in the early 1900's and I am a third generation American and I was born here. Expecting foreigners to assimilate to English is not against the Constitution but those who choose to speak another language in public when they know English is just plain rude, "IMO"! I never said that they don't have the constitutional right to do so anyway!!! So yes, I am quite familiar with the Constitution on this issue I just happen to have a difference of "opinion"! What a spinmaster that person is.
Thank you it really doesnt matter if you are a foreigner or not... as I told the other poster.. Im fine responding to things written, at face value.

As for rudeness... youre basing it on the ONE encounter your wife had with two Hispanic women?

Old 09-07-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Give me a break.

Americans who are not immigrants or who do not come from recent immigrant backgrounds don't understand how much your "tolerance" is often exploited as weakness by people who wish to do you harm or who have no intention of seeing you as a fellow American the way you want to see them. It's like you simply cannot imagine that POC and immigrants can ever have self-interest or negative motives. It's the "noble savage" narrative updated for the 21st century. Real talk: Not all immigrants want to "be American." They just want the American money. And that is WRONG.
And HOW are you determining WHO it is that doesnt want to be here and who only wants American money? by their being able to learn English? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Stop with the bigotry of lowered expectations. There are millions who want to come to the United States. There is no reason that the US can't be picking the best, brightest, and most committed to the American project.

No guilt-tripping here. I've told members of my own family to "go back home" when they started to express anti-American gripes. (Spoiler alert: They never do).

Well the 'best, brightest and most committed' werent the ones who immigrated to the United States from the outset LOL Soooooooo WHEN does it change? WHEN is the cut off? and WHO determines the 'best, brightest and most committed' ??
I work with a woman - she was a very well known journalist in China... she came here... her English is horrible. She has tried... but its really bad... people at work were talking about her being 'too dumb' and 'a waste of time'. With her bad English... she went from Customer Service into Management... she has outshone EVERYONE as far as 'best, brightest and most committed' but her English still is pretty bad. AND when she has the chance.. she speaks Chinese with her family out and about and her friends and the other Chinese speaking employees.
Im sure in your 'American Project' she wouldnt be welcome

Dont keep thinking you are so wonderful or perfect.

Quote:
You see zero difference between expectations for people who are visiting for a few days or a week..... vs. people who want to live somewhere PERMANENTLY?
Nope. Whats good for the Goose is Good for the Gander

Old 09-07-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
They can speak what they want at home.

But I'm not spending tax dollars to print 10 different versions of government forms and ballots to accommodate people too dumb or too stubborn to learn the language of the country they intend to either seek benefits from, or influence the politics of.

Teachers shouldn't have to be sourced from special places to teach the kids of people who put their children in public schools, etc.

Learn English. For centuries it's been a key part of assimiliation and becoming American.

To immigrants, I say this: Simply showing up and planting your fat ass on American soil doesn't make you American. No matter what your stupid professor or self-appointed helpful white liberal friend tells you. Americans appreciate people who make effort. And it's your responsibility in exchange for the opportunity the country has afforded you.

Side note: You will often see a contradiction in expectation among the "AMERICA HAS NO OFFICIAL LANGUAGE!" types. They will adamantly defend non-assimilation and balkanization of the United States along language and cultural fault lines in the name of "diversity"........ but then also be the first to guffaw along with Europeans who complain American TOURISTS don't know how to speak the language of the countries they visit, and want everything to be in English.
I agree with most of what you said. Most of the time it isn't because immigrants are too dumb to learn English but stubborn, yes! I find those of the Latino culture especially are adamant about retaining Spanish everywhere they go. Even when they know English (and most do) many refuse to speak it out in public unless they have to.

I believe in English immersion not bi-lingual education. The stats prove that the former works a lot better than the latter.

Yeah, these lefty, liberals love to drag out the slogan "but English is not our official language" to justify their desire to balkinize our country with their diversity of everything nonsense. Their attempt to justify it just some Americans expect to be pandered in English in a foreign country is lame to because I admonish them also for not assimilating to their new country. If they are visitors they should at least learn enough of the foreign language to get by but I don't expect visitors abroad or here to learn the entire language of the country they are merely visiting.

More than half of our states have made English their official language why not make it on the federal level also?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies