Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 08:56 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Its their choice. There are plenty of other photographers. And bakers.
But liberals don't think these photographers should be forced to work at a plantation wedding, but that they should be forced to work at a gay wedding if either one goes against their personal values. Just shows more liberal hypocrisy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 10:47 AM

46,966 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
And no, plantations were not like concentration camps. The planter class was like the old American aristocracy, so a better comparison would be to a royal palace or a castle. People can visit a castle or palace without obsessing over how the peasants were mistreated.
The Auschwitz kommandant undoubtedly had a nice house, too. But it's not a representation of the reality of the camp, now is it?

Old 09-09-2020, 12:41 PM

2,707 posts, read 1,034,438 times
I say if it's YOUR business you should be able to deny ANYONE for ANY REASON. Period.

Old 09-09-2020, 12:55 PM

11,269 posts, read 11,035,002 times
Quote:
But liberals don't think these photographers should be forced to work at a plantation wedding, but that they should be forced to work at a gay wedding if either one goes against their personal values. Just shows more liberal hypocrisy.

Typical liberal double standards and a lame excuse to be outraged by, well, just about everything.

Old 09-09-2020, 03:18 PM

8,772 posts, read 5,065,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Dissent View Post
I say if it's YOUR business you should be able to deny ANYONE for ANY REASON. Period.
Exactly! Just don`t complain when you go out of business.

Old 09-09-2020, 04:11 PM

2,707 posts, read 1,034,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Exactly! Just don`t complain when you go out of business.
If it happens it happens, I doubt it would though. More than enough people to stand with a business who decides not to do jobs for homosexuals or certain races whatever it may be. I am not a business owner so not my issue but I do believe we should all have that right to deny service.

Old 09-09-2020, 04:45 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,700,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
So what!

Just get different photographers. Every person in business should be able to choose the type of work they want to do .

I'm sure there are plenty of other photographers that would have no problem with it.
This

Old 09-09-2020, 04:50 PM

37,222 posts, read 19,225,735 times
Quote:
https://www.nola.com/news/article_93...b10ac5da1.html

This article mentions two wedding photographers who now decline to work plantation weddings. The first in particular comes across as a liberal snowflake talking about people getting married on a plantation are participating in "violence". And yes plantation weddings are a big thing here, the only reason more people don't do them is because of the cost. And no, plantations were not like concentration camps. The planter class was like the old American aristocracy, so a better comparison would be to a royal palace or a castle. People can visit a castle or palace without obsessing over how the peasants were mistreated.

Seems like if you are a liberal, you believe its okay for them to refuse these weddings out of their personal beliefs, but a Christian photographer shouldn't be allowed to refuse working a gay wedding?
Slaves were chattel property, and bought and sold like cattle. The owner had absolute power of life and death over them, and could treat them like animals, feeding them on corn mush, beating them, or even working them to death.

Smaller farms treated the slaves better, and the owner worked in the field with them most of the time. The big plantation owners weren't hands-on, but hired the management of the slaves out to overseers, who were judge, jury, and hangman. Some of the biggest plantations had reputations among the slaves as death camps, so yes, they can be compared to concentration camps with "Arbeit macht frei" over the entrance.

"Gone with the Wind" was not a documentary, although there are a lot of ignorant people in this country who think it was typical.

Old 09-09-2020, 10:49 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times
I do think Gone With the Wind is as realistic, if not MORE realistic than 12 Years a Slave. Not every slave was constantly beaten and abused and some did grow very close to the families they worked for. I have no doubt that slaves like the ones in Gone With the Wind really existed in real life.

In its own admittedly twisted way, the fact that slaves were property protected many from being mistreated too harshly. Just like a farm today wouldn't purposely damage his combine or overuse his tractor to the extent that it overheats, it wouldn't be in a plantation owner's interests to kill his slaves or work them to death then they would have to spend more money buying more slaves. This was explained to me on several plantation tours in Louisiana and South Carolina and it totally makes sense to me, it was common sense even without being explained. The Rosedown Plantation in Louisiana even had a doctor on site to take care of the slaves and make sure they were healthy, yes all this was for the owners ' benefit, but movies like 12 Years a Slave or Django do not reflect the typical slave experience.

So yes, a plantation is more like the Palace of Versailles or a castle from medieval Europe than Auchwitz.

Oh yes and slaves fought to the death in the Roman Coliseum and built the Egyptian pyramids but nobody has an issue with those things. In fact it was the white Jewish slaves from the Bible who built the pyramids for the pharaohs. So if people can romanticize Medieval Europe, pre-revolutionary France, Ancient Rome, and Ancient Egypt, what's wrong with romanticizing certain elements of the antebellum South?

Old 09-10-2020, 04:59 PM

46,966 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
This was explained to me on several plantation tours in Louisiana and South Carolina...
Ummm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies