Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 10:42 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,933 times

Advertisements

Isn't this ok now?

Weren't people cheering on the charter boat owner that refused Democratic clients? I think we are at the point where anybody can refuse service for any reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 11:09 AM

37,227 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
"Roots" has since been debunked, the story was found to be fabricated by the author and Alex Haley has been disgraced years ago. No doubt there were slaves like the ones in Gone With the Wind. Some slaves did grow very close to the planters and their families on a personal level.

And why is it okay to romanticize medieval times (an age of sexism, homophobia, inequality, and religious intolerance) but everything about the Old South is so taboo? What about how ancient Rome and Egypt had slaves, yet Roman themed stuff is perfectly fine?

Getting married in a plantation is like getting married in a European castle where the lords probably oppressed the peasants or even enslaved them.
Of course it was fabricated, from research. It was accurate in its brutality and human misery, and not romanticized for Hollywood.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:01 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Oh yes and slaves fought to the death in the Roman Coliseum and built the Egyptian pyramids but nobody has an issue with those things. In fact it was the white Jewish slaves from the Bible who built the pyramids for the pharaohs. So if people can romanticize Medieval Europe, pre-revolutionary France, Ancient Rome, and Ancient Egypt, what's wrong with romanticizing certain elements of the antebellum South?
No one freakin' romanticizes those eras to the point of having weddings in Nero's palace or insisting on a Marie Antoinette-themed wedding or whatever the Egyptian equivalent would be. (Incidentally, the pyramids were built by free workers.) The decadence of the ruling classes in ancient Rome and pre-revolution France is looked on with disdain. No one softens up the concept of gladitorial combat with commentary on how well cared for popular gladiators were.

The rosy-eyed insistence on putting a romantic, glamorous finish on the antebellum South is actually fairly unique. And that is without getting into the differences in social and economic conditions that made slavery even less defensible in the 19th century.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:17 PM

27,578 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
No one freakin' romanticizes those eras to the point of having weddings in Nero's palace or insisting on a Marie Antoinette-themed wedding or whatever the Egyptian equivalent would be.
Are you sure about that?

https://www.wantthatwedding.co.uk/20...g-inspiration/

Old 09-11-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
The big difference between a plantation manor and a feudal manor or similar is basically the passage of time. If serfdom was recent enough that my grandma was a serf who had been raped by her liege lord without recourse, prior to dying from overwork in his fields, I'd probably feel a bit salty about his feudal manor being treated like trendy romantic party spot by a bunch of vapid instagrammers, too.
Nicely put. And serfs, even as abhorrent as the practice was, actually had rights. They weren't (as a rule) bought and sold, they weren't abruptly taken away from their family and shipped off to work hundreds of miles from their home. They weren't tools.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:29 PM

37,227 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Cool. Next stop, Auschwitz.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Every time I put some trust in the common sense of my fellow human beings, something like this happens. Of course, people throw "Gatsby-themed" parties as if that story isn't about the futility of glamour, so...

Old 09-11-2020, 01:41 PM

27,578 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Every time I put some trust in the common sense of my fellow human beings, something like this happens. Of course, people throw "Gatsby-themed" parties as if that story isn't about the futility of glamour, so...
The point is if there's no problem having Marie Antoinette- themed weddings, then what's the problem with Southern aristocrat style weddings if that's what one desires?

Old 09-11-2020, 01:41 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Isn't this ok now?

Weren't people cheering on the charter boat owner that refused Democratic clients? I think we are at the point where anybody can refuse service for any reason.
And those folks who steadfastly said the cake shop owner should not have to bake a cake for a gay couple are losing their minds over this.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:54 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,696,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
And those folks who steadfastly said the cake shop owner should not have to bake a cake for a gay couple are losing their minds over this.
I doubt it. I'm certainly not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies