Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 08:41 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times

Advertisements

https://www.nola.com/news/article_93...b10ac5da1.html

This article mentions two wedding photographers who now decline to work plantation weddings. The first in particular comes across as a liberal snowflake talking about people getting married on a plantation are participating in "violence". And yes plantation weddings are a big thing here, the only reason more people don't do them is because of the cost. And no, plantations were not like concentration camps. The planter class was like the old American aristocracy, so a better comparison would be to a royal palace or a castle. People can visit a castle or palace without obsessing over how the peasants were mistreated.

Seems like if you are a liberal, you believe its okay for them to refuse these weddings out of their personal beliefs, but a Christian photographer shouldn't be allowed to refuse working a gay wedding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2020, 08:53 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,418,644 times
As a gay photographer, I will gladly shoot your plantation wedding.

Old 09-06-2020, 09:11 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
In 2015, wedding videographer Mary Winchell had an incident that led her to stop working at plantation receptions. Her now-husband, who is Black, was helping shoot video at a reception when a groomsman told him, “We don’t like your kind around here,” she said. When they reported it to the bride and groom, she said they laughed.
Not sure what encountering racist people at a wedding has to do with plantations. The groomsman surely did not live at the plantation, so "around here" would have been wherever the reception was being held.

People should hold their weddings wherever they choose and are legally allowed to be, and people who don't approve of their choices should ****.

Old 09-06-2020, 09:16 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,816,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Seems like if you are a liberal, you believe its okay for them to refuse these weddings out of their personal beliefs, but a Christian photographer shouldn't be allowed to refuse working a gay wedding?
I fear that a lot of Americans do demonstrate the lack of education and ignorance portrayed in the statement above. Not all liberals or conservatives have the same view on this.

I'm a conservative and I couldn't care less if you refuse to shoot at a plantation or shoot a gay wedding. I couldn't care less if you are all for it, either.

I'm sure there's liberal Trump followers that have alternative views. You can't use such a broad paintbrush.

Last edited by TexasLawyer2000; 09-06-2020 at 09:32 PM..

Old 09-06-2020, 11:36 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Not sure what encountering racist people at a wedding has to do with plantations. The groomsman surely did not live at the plantation, so "around here" would have been wherever the reception was being held.

People should hold their weddings wherever they choose and are legally allowed to be, and people who don't approve of their choices should ****.
I agree! And something about that story itself sounds questionable. How come there are no other witnesses to back up the fact that this encounter even happened. I'm from Louisiana and I really do not picture any white person just totally unprovoked going to a black man working at an event and telling him he wasn't welcome unless there was something other than his race, but even so, like if he was gay and black or Muslim, that would still be weird. Even the VERY small handful of white people I know who are actually racist (all of them over 70 years old) would not go to a random black person and act like this.

And this has nothing to do with the plantation setting. There are mixed couples, and Asian and Hispanic couples who get married at Louisiana plantations all the time. Nobody is denying that slavery happened and as a country and world we've moved on from that. But there's nothing wrong with celebrating the grandeur and gentility of the plantation life and history.

Old 09-07-2020, 06:07 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
Quote:

This article mentions two wedding photographers who now decline to work plantation weddings. The first in particular comes across as a liberal snowflake talking about people getting married on a plantation are participating in "violence". And yes plantation weddings are a big thing here, the only reason more people don't do them is because of the cost. And no, plantations were not like concentration camps. The planter class was like the old American aristocracy, so a better comparison would be to a royal palace or a castle. People can visit a castle or palace without obsessing over how the peasants were mistreated.

Are "plantations" suddenly a protected class?

Old 09-07-2020, 06:30 AM

30,072 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:

So what!

Just get different photographers. Every person in business should be able to choose the type of work they want to do .

I'm sure there are plenty of other photographers that would have no problem with it.

Old 09-07-2020, 07:45 AM

45,233 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:

I wonder how they feel about bakers not baking cakes for gay weddings?
Freedom of association (with or without of an individuals own choosing) is a right we are all born with. And no, being in a business doesnt change that.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:17 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,314,380 times
I am very conservative and very anti-slavery (who thinks it was a good idea?!) and I can't help but think of it when I've visited places like Charleston, SC and New Orleans, LA whose grandeur can be at least partially attributed to it, so it does bother me and I find myself less and less drawn to those places as I get older.

However, to be fair, weddings are held at estates in the North where the famous Gilded Age Robber Barons resided, and people like the Astors, Vanderbilts, Hormels, et al were notorious for being slumlords and cruel employers who exploited poor people, particularly European immigrants and blacks, in many ways.

https://www.newportmansions.org/weddings

https://www.hormelhistorichome.org/hhh-history.html

So if one wants to have a wedding at a beautiful historic mansion, in order to single plantations out for being boycotted, shouldn't these photographers also look at the history of every historic mansion that is used as a wedding venue and consider whose human rights were violated to provide their beauty and opulence? I wonder if they would balk at photographing weddings at any of the Newport Mansions, for example? I am going to guess that they wouldn't care.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:23 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

Its their choice. There are plenty of other photographers. And bakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies