Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2020, 06:01 AM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Remember when Michelle Obama worked to get junk food out of schools, replaced with more healthy options, and have vending machines full of candy bars removed? Right-wingers went crazy.

Yea, I remember.
Student athletes went crazy. Michelle O was starving them.

Old 09-20-2020, 06:05 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Are you asserting that people have no free will? Poor eating habits is a personal choice. The only party to blame is the person making that choice.
Thank you. There is no personal responsibility left it seems. It is always someone else's fault. Even with the the most basic thing in life. What one eats.

Old 09-20-2020, 06:36 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Aside from a few tiny island countries in the South Pacific maybe so. Other English speaking countries and much of the Arab world are also very fat.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...tes-by-country
Thanks for the list. Not surprising that the US is essentially the fastest country on earth. Interesting about the small island counties I'm going to read up on them and their obscene obesity rates.

Old 09-20-2020, 06:49 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Yet why are these corporate fast food chains ran by right wingers allowed to exist then? They're the ones getting americans fat mostly. Its funny how people will "blast the fat citizens" but not the Right wing 1 percent business owners. LOL

If you want to tell people to stop eating fattening food, don't let republicans be allowed to run a "fat shop"

Oh but lets just place all the blames on the citizens. Thats what conservatives do. Its never their fault
Maybe take personal responsibility, and stay out of the "fat shop". We manage to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
" Black adults have the highest level of adult obesity nationally at 49.6 percent, which is driven in large part by an adult obesity rate among Black women of 56.9 percent."

It's mostly blacks and hispanic women that are throwing off the curve on the high side.....and Asians throwing it off on the low side

...whites are dead center.... 38%

Black and hispanic women are over 50%.....while Asian men and women are below 15%

https://blackdemographics.com/health-2/obesity/
38% is nothing to brag about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Why is it cheaper to buy a bag of sugary candy or salted potato chips than a healthy salad? Too much hyperprocessed food is available for cheap. Rather than wasting billions of dollars to subsidize grains, dairy, and cattle, what we should be doing is subsidizing healthy fruit and vegetables. An entire junk food industry has grown fat on the government's subsidy.
Because you aren't making your salad from scratch. Compare the cost of an apple to a Twinkies cake. Which would most people choose who are already obese? Ever see them walking out of McDonald's with a extra large everything?

Quote:
Well maybe you just got lucky with genetics. Not everyone gets fat. Some are predisposed to being fat within the family history. Im naturally between cause I had a skinny father's side and a fat mother's side. But alot of people inherited the "fat gene" and these which republican business owners don't help matters being able to operate. They put addictive chemicals in their food too no different from a drug dealer selling addictive drugs. Point is, EVERYONE is to blame. Not just the citizens eating it.

Im tired of just seeing the commoners being blamed for every atrocity and not the rich
Oh boy, another argument of "why it isn't my fault". Ever look at the photos of one's ancestors from the early 1900s, or maybe late 1800s. Are those people obese? "Predisposed" means "eating and exercising like mom and dad". "Fat gene" is a bunch of crap and falls under "It is not my fault." Yes, it is your fault.

Quote:
. Its the crap being put in people's mouths by corporations. But god forbid we blame the businesses and the rich of anything.
I have yet to see any adult fed except when they are physically unable to feed themselves. I would agree that if someone is unable to feed themselves, and are being force fed by someone else that it is the fault of the person force feeding them, but in that case, if you are aware of it, please call Adult Protective Services!

Quote:
somehow I just knew this would be everyone else's fault.....
Yep, "Not my fault." Nothing is ever their fault!

Quote:
What do you expect from a society where no one in charge that actually has power takes responsibility for ANYTHING
You mean like the individuals that put the food in their mouths? Sadly, the same individuals stuff their kids with that garbage too. I have seen the poor kids waddling by the house. So sad.

Quote:
so it's the government's fault...

you want the government to dictate what people can and can't eat...and how much they weigh
Actually, they don't want that. I have heard the outcries that people on SNAP/food stamps only be allowed to buy certain foods, sort of inline with the WIC coupons, but that was considered not fair, and most of us have seen how they shop with the SNAP/food stamps (frozen pizza, frozen pops, Little Debbies, soda pop, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Oh god. Obesity increases medical costs and strain on our infrastructure.

It lowers our able body labor pool and makes foriegn migrant labor more necessary.

It's making recruits harder to come by for national security reasons.

All things necessary to uphold the markets, individual property, and monetary valuation. The stuff you love.

Can you just stop with the "who cares what everyone else does, it doesn't affect me" shtick?
Yes, and add to that the fact that obesity leads to organ failure, more of a chance of having a severe reaction to viruses, etc.

I lived in a county where they actually ate themselves to disability so they could stay in bed until noon and not have to work!!!

Gee, in order to protect their health, I am supposed to wear a mask, but if I am now charged with protecting their health, maybe I should just go nail all the fast food places doors shut and strip the shelves of Little Debbies, Twinkies and soda pop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
20,000 acres of corn is needed just for the soda needs of New York City alone. High Fructose Corn Syrup. A big problem.
Yes, high fructose corn syrup, and corn syrup are a problem. But, then again, we do not buy those products as we read labels. It is up to the individual to educate themselves. If they come here to C-D, they have internet access and a world of information on health and well-being. It ALL comes down to CHOICE!

Here is a link though to the "King Corn" that you mentioned in your other post, or at least I believe this is what you are referring to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWv29KRsQXU

Old 09-20-2020, 06:50 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,406,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
20,000 acres of corn is needed just for the soda needs of New York City alone. High Fructose Corn Syrup. A big problem.
No not a big problem. Overconsumption of highly processed foods is a problem. Not high fructose corn syrup.

Last edited by Diesel350z; 09-20-2020 at 07:02 AM..

Old 09-20-2020, 06:56 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times
This is a result of the fact that our culture has changed. We moved away from eating mostly home cooked meals to eating fast food and pre-processed and overly processed foods that emphasis taste and appearance over nutrition in order to vie for the attention of the shopper.

The other cause is that people used to walk more, to school, to work, to the store. Now people all drive everywhere. Kids are being driven to school now in SUV’s. In the school near my house, at 8AM in the morning there is a line of SUV’s waiting to drop off each kid, and then at 2:30PM, they line up again to pick up each kid. When I was growing up, we walked to school.

Just last week, I saw a lady drive from the post office to the driveway of her house literally right across the street. Don’t even get me started on the people who drive to the gym to walk on the treadmill. The mindset of people today is just scary.

Last edited by antinimby; 09-20-2020 at 07:04 AM..

Old 09-20-2020, 06:58 AM

1,579 posts, read 950,511 times
If we are going to fight obesity, we are going to have to focus on prevention. I think adults are a lost cause. And I say this as an adult who was obese, lost 80 pounds, and have kept it off for 5 years now. Although my BMI hovers right at the normal weight-line, every vacation I slip into overweight because of vacation eating habits. I decided pandemic year would be a good year to lose 10 more pounds to give myself wiggle room (and be more firmly in normal BMI territory). It’s not been easy.

I was obese because I am a stress eater and, at the time I put on the weight, I was in a horrible marriage that I wouldn’t leave for religious reasons. I say it all the time, him leaving me was one of the best gifts he gave me.

After we divorced, it took me 5 years to lose the 80 pounds because I did it the right way, slowly. But most people don’t have the patience for that. And even one you make it to the goal, the calorie counting and exercise don’t end. It’s a lifelong thing.

I still get an hour of exercise a day and I still measure and weight food and count calories. While I’m trying to lose that 10 pounds of wiggle room, I know that even when I make it there I will always have to measure food and record everything. And I can’t eat as many calories as a normal person to maintain, I’m eating 1600 a day to lose that last 10. But to maintain, I can’t eat more than 1800 a day. At that many I don’t lose or gain. Normal people my weight, age, and sex should be able to eat about 2100 a day to maintain. Most people aren’t as obsessive as me. It takes obsession and discipline to keep the weight off once you’ve lost it. And a willingness to always eat a reduced calorie diet.

I focused on my daughter and making sure she never got overweight as a child. They say part of the problem is overweight and obese children make obese adults.

Luckily, since I’m on a perpetual “diet” I made healthy food for her. I made sure she picked some activity she liked to keep her moving (swimming, field hockey, and then marching band). Her dad helped too by getting her into running (although he also made her a vegetarian which made things a little bit more challenging as well. I tend to lose weight easier on a high protein low carb diet. A lot of vegetarian dishes that are child friendly are high carb).

I remind her that she has a healthy weight and it’s better to stay that way than to gain and lose because you damage your body in such a way that when you gain, even if you lose your body wants to fight to be fat again. It’s like giving yourself a horrible scar—it might fade but it’s always there. You end up like me always having to do things like plan ahead before Thanksgiving so you have enough calories for the meal by fasting during the week. They say obesity is a disease and the way I have to alter my lifestyle to avoid the pounds coming back on it feels like one I still have even with a normal BMI.

If we are to push back this obesity epidemic, we need to focus on the future generations. It’s best that today’s kids do t become obese in the first place. Parents definitely need to be responsible but maybe we need something akin to the anti-smoking campaign that helped reduce cigarette smoking for future generations.

Fat shaming isn’t the answer (I was ashamed when I was obese... but that shame didn’t lead to solving the problem) but neither is this new fat acceptance (obesity is a public health hazard that negatively impacts our competitiveness as a nation).

If something political is to be done, I’d like to see a bipartisan commission set up composed of medical experts, psychologist, lawmakers, parents, food industry reps, and maybe even the military to start working on a solution.

Last edited by WalkingLiberty1919D; 09-20-2020 at 07:12 AM..

Old 09-20-2020, 06:58 AM

24,498 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Has anyone blamed Trump yet? He could stand to lose some weight and they could say that he is leading by example...

Let's blame Trump.

Old 09-20-2020, 07:01 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,406,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
This is another problem.

The harmful chemicals we have allowed big ag to put in our food.

This is the kind of thing stronger government regulation could solve, but cons never go for that.
What do chemicals have to do with obesity?

Old 09-20-2020, 07:03 AM

1,711 posts, read 808,329 times
Many people never learned how to prepare a meal at home. Now it is go go go with ferrying kids all over and popping into a fast food joint.

Or it is just lazy and easier. My granddaughter is very overweight because parents gave her Mac and cheese every meal. That's all she'd eat without a fuss. My saying was no child starved to death with a plate of healthy food in front of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies