Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2020, 06:19 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,584,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
This Is How Biden Should Approach the Latino Vote

Stop calling them "people of color" when they are white, and see themselves as white. That's a con.

POC is actually a politically relevant term. Progressive "Latinos" only see the group as "people of color" when they want to argue for funding, resources, and set-asides for people of color. They should get none of that. No they are not the largest minority group.

There is the age-old term "Brown Pride"
The majority are brown or always tanned skin, some even black. When you visit the country you see the depiction the media gives you is inaccurate.

dominicans, colombians, mexicans, nicaruguans, ecuadoreans, guatemalans, puerto ricans, cubans, and so many other latino countries. Of course there are white latinos just as there are white africans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2020, 07:02 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Are Ted Cruz or Marco Rubio "people of color"??
"People of color" only matters to racists, and mostly Democrats, who make it their obligation to divide all those non-whites into separate groups.

To a racists, and bigots, calling a person of color "an American" bugs the hell out of them, so they race to distinguish those others into hyphenated groups, so as not to confuse them with real Americans.

Old 09-24-2020, 07:15 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Politics is an awful cesspool where gender, race and pigment all serve to provide division by both sides. If you think it's only R's, you shouldn't have slept through the democratic primaries because they were slapping racist and sexist on each other like a handshake. Our likely next president was attacked as such by his own VP pick lmao. (Please note, Obama is not a fan of this and has warned about it's abuses)

With that said, even outside of politics, it's sad to watch Latinos and Asians suddenly lumped into the "white" bucket in order to sell even more racial division and then back to minority status if some homeless lady starts screaming about Covid from China or Illegals on a walking path in Los Angeles.

Old 09-24-2020, 07:27 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You’re not really gonna feign outrage, are you?

Did African Americans get mad about what Biden said? Were we outraged?

Again, please don’t feign outrage at what Biden said. We’re fully capable of being outraged on our own if we see fit.
Does that response look like I am outraged? I think you may be misreading my mood. When Biden said it, I wasn't mad, I thought it was pretty funny. I laughed at how clueless he is.

Funny enough to use whenever appropriate, like this thread.

Old 09-24-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
"People of color" only matters to racists, and mostly Democrats, who make it their obligation to divide all those non-whites into separate groups.

To a racists, and bigots, calling a person of color "an American" bugs the hell out of them, so they race to distinguish those others into hyphenated groups, so as not to confuse them with real Americans.
Yes, this is wrong. You don't call a black french man, an African-french or a Black german, African-german. They are French or German, nothing else.

African-canadian? No, c'mon, you are considered Canadian.

All the blacks living in the Netherlands, they're not african-hollanders.

I don't think we need all these micro-details.

Or do we?

I heard it's done so they can identify specific groups or neighborhoods that are marginalized. I'd still prefer black, multi-racial, asian, white, or latino.

Old 09-24-2020, 07:32 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Then why do I always have to check a box saying I am Non Hispanic?

Old 09-24-2020, 07:40 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
Wow. 9 pages of aggressive ignorance. Anyone (like myself) who read the OP and thought they might help clarify facts,

just

back

away

slowly.

Old 09-24-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Wow. 9 pages of aggressive ignorance. Anyone (like myself) who read the OP and thought they might help clarify facts,

just

back

away

slowly.
caminando de regreso ahora

Old 09-24-2020, 08:22 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
In the USA, the white identity is a matter of perceived shared culture as much as it is about skin tone. It is the social characteristics, not what is written on paper or input onto an online-generated application, that really decides whether a person is seen as non-white or white by general society. It's how Arabs and North Africans are counted as white on the census, but most everyday people look at them as distinct groups from what the white identity entails, which is overwhelmingly to exclusively European ancestry and chiefly Christian( unless secular, like many Europeans are today). Hispanics can mark white (and majority do, dubiously, at a rate of 55-65%), and the government could get rid of the label, but most people will continue to view them as a chiefly non-white group.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 09-24-2020 at 08:33 AM..

Old 09-24-2020, 08:43 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,555 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
This Is How Biden Should Approach the Latino Vote

Stop calling them "people of color" when they are white, and see themselves as white. That's a con.

POC is actually a politically relevant term. Progressive "Latinos" only see the group as "people of color" when they want to argue for funding, resources, and set-asides for people of color. They should get none of that. No they are not the largest minority group.
Latino and Hispanic are not the same thig lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies