Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 09:22 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,544,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
In my state printed on the registration form is a line about lying on this form will get you time in jail.

When the county counts a ballot, a mark is made by the name of the voter with address and registration number. They don't count any 2nd vote. And if a person tried to vote twice, they could be arrested. Two women in Tarrant county Texas got 5years+ jail time for illegally voting.
They don't seem to know how it works. Trump is telling them about all the voter fraud that is he can't backup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2020, 10:35 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,100,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Cross reference the ballot with the party of the person mailing the ballot. If its not to your liking, throw it away.
People, you go to the polls and they have new machines that leave a paper trail. Not with mail in ballots. IF they never get counted.
All this talk of tossed mail in ballots. The reason we are hauling our 80 year old , all kinds of medical issues selves to the polling place on election day is because we have serious doubts a mail in ballot would be counted due to signature matching. They toss a lot, without notifying the sender.

My signature changes with the pen used.

Old 09-26-2020, 11:48 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Well, well, well, what do we have here.

I don't know if this will end up be a very rare occurrence, or something that could become a real problem, but here is a documented case of mail in ballots being discarded, all votes for President Trump.
Elections are a State thing. The federal government has little to no control.

Having said that, it does not mean the federal government is powerless.

If I would be Trump -- and I'm a helluva lot smarter than Trump ever could be -- I would have asked the US Attorney General, like, um, a month ago, to ask the Attorneys General of the several States what accounting and verification processes they have in place.

For those States that do not have a process, or refuse to have a process, or do have a process but it's flawed, then I would look to see what action(s) I could take to coerce them into creating a valid process.
That might mean immediately cutting all federal funding for a State if that is possible or cutting future federal funding or some other action(s).

I can't speak for other States, but in Ohio, you have to request an absentee ballot in writing using a form.

Ohio would know exactly how many people requested absentee ballots, because that is how their database and record keeping is set up.

The question would be, if 200,000 absentee ballots were mailed to voters in Hamilton County, Ohio, how many were returned?

If a State cannot answer a question like that, then they need to establish some process so that they can.

If 200,000 absentee ballots were mailed to voters in Hamilton County and 210,000 were returned, that would a problem, right?

How would that problem be discovered? Who would discover it? To whom would they report their discovery? What actions would be taken as a result?

Those are questions every State needs to be able to answer now, not a month after the Election.

If 200,000 ballots were mailed but only 180,000 returned, is that a problem?

Not necessarily. Some voters may be so thoroughly disgusted by the very poor options they have and opted out, choosing not to vote. Others may have feared their ballot would be lost in the mail and voted in-person instead.

How could a State make those determinations? If they cannot, they need a process so that they can.

Here, the Hamilton County Board of Elections could simply contact all 200,000 persons who received an absentee ballot by phone or mail to find out what actions the voter took. Yeah, that would be a chore, but that's what government accountability is all about.

Anyway, like I said, this is something that should have been done a month ago instead of waiting until December 7th to complain about how States accounted for and verified their absentee ballots.

Old 09-26-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Ends up the county elections office made a mistake and they called the FBI to show the mistake they made, because the county elections office didn't want to be accused of fraud. Bill Barr created a press release to make it appear fraud was taking place.
What happened in PA about the 9 ballots:

The elections office has been received applications for mail-in ballots. They open these envelopes and process them immediately.

The same office began sending out mail ballots to military members, who get the ballots earlier than others. The mail-in ballots began arriving at the elections office.

A staff member accidentally opened 9 military ballots, thinking they were application requests for ballots, because the envelopes look similar. The elections office shouldn't have opened the real ballots and they caught the error after 9 ballots were opened.

The elections office stopped doing this as soon as they realized the mistake was made. The elections office called the FBI to report the mistake about accidentally opening 9 ballots early because they didn't want to be accused of fraud.

Barr and Trump twisted the press release to make it seem like improper ballots were found somewhere in PA and the press release made it appear like someone was up to fraud and the feds caught them and were investigating 9 discarded ballots that were found.

https://www.citizensvoice.com/news/f...0f208b45c.html

Luzerne County District Attorney Stefanie Salavantis’ office began investigating potential issues with some mail-in ballots that were received last week prior to consulting with the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Federal authorities took the lead in the case at the request of Salavantis on Monday, although county detectives continued to assist.

Salavantis, a Republican, previously said she believed the issue would not impact the Nov. 3 election results.
Trump's followers prefer alternative facts.

Old 09-26-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Yeah, the same FBI plotted against then presidential candidate Trump. The FBI has proven that it don't know it's azz from a hole in the ground.
Don't worry, Trump's new fixer (Barr) takes care of everything for him.

Old 09-26-2020, 12:52 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,310,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
All this talk of tossed mail in ballots. The reason we are hauling our 80 year old , all kinds of medical issues selves to the polling place on election day is because we have serious doubts a mail in ballot would be counted due to signature matching. They toss a lot, without notifying the sender.

My signature changes with the pen used.
Same reason I plan to vote in-person. My signature is scribble and I don't want to risk the mail-in ballot getting tossed due to the signature. At least when I go in-person, I show my ID and get the signature confirmed immediately.

Many states have online confirmation methods for voters to track their mailed ballot where they can confirm if the ballot was received, signature was approved and if not, the voter can get it corrected IF within a specific time frame. If they miss the deadline to fix the signature or fix any other issue, the vote doesn't count. Hoping most people using mail ballots track their vote online to ensure it's counted and they act fast to resolve any potential issues with their mail-in ballot and follow instructions for fixing issue per their elections officials. Also ways to resolve ballots that aren't received.

Last edited by Variable; 09-26-2020 at 01:26 PM..

Old 09-26-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Well yeah, that's why they want party affiliation clearly printed on the outside of the envelope! How else will they know which ones to throw away and which ones to keep? Opening ballots and then resealing them, trying to make it look like they never opened the thing -- that's a lot more work!
That is not how it works. No party affiliation on the outside. That is only in primary and I assume you know why.

Old 09-26-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennan2323 View Post
Didn't Trump just yesterday tweet out that the residents of Florida should be requesting and sending in Mail in Ballots? Hell, how does good ol' Trump vote? He mails in in his vote every election.
He said Florida is okay to do mail-in-ballots a while ago.

Old 09-26-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
TRANSLATION: Any ongoing fraud was never caught until Trump came along.
TRANSLATION: Trump is losing BIGLY and wants his followers to believe that there will be fraud. You people are doing a good job. Trump is so proud.

Old 09-26-2020, 01:30 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,740,882 times
It's going to be like cockroaches. For every one case we find of Trump votes getting thrown in the garbage, there will be hundreds if not thousands that we never see. This was always going to be a terrible idea.

I would recommend that everyone plan to vote in person even if you've already sent in your ballot. After enough of these cases of mail carriers throwing away ballots pile up, it wouldn't be surprising it federal courts put a great big kabosh on the whole thing. A few thousand votes could win or lose an entire state and clearly the USPS isn't up to the task of securing the vote. Why did everyone assume they would be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies