Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 09:19 AM

26,041 posts, read 19,028,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpshooterTom View Post
If Trump loses in a landslide - Is nationalism/populism finished in the US for good?
The US will be finished for good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2020, 09:27 AM

13,517 posts, read 17,073,533 times
I don't think populism is dead, it just needs to be delivered by someone who isn't a reality TV star con artist.

The country as a whole does not like illegal immigration
The country as a whole thinks tax loopholes for rich people are ridiculous.
the country as a whole dislikes foreign police action wars.

These kinds of things have broad mass appeal and Trump grabbed on to some of them. Now if you have someone who isn't a grifter, cartoon character, and con man pushing them, it might have some staying power.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:29 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,537,132 times
Depends on what the OP means by populism. I think win or loose post Trump the GOP knows they have to move away from anti immigrant / White nationalist rhetoric. I do think Trump's anti NAFTA / anti China position does have staying power. I think wokism has taken a hit even within the Democrats, look how Biden rose and the far left candidates faltered. Maybe both parties moderate and this craziness calms down?

Old 10-02-2020, 09:35 AM

5,205 posts, read 4,689,209 times
Nothing will change. Trump is the visible symptom of the cancer that has taken over half the body, the American public. If you cure the symptom, the cancer remains. And just like cancer, sometimes there is no way to destroy cancer without killing the host. I don't see America surviving as a united country for too much longer.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:36 AM

9,900 posts, read 10,849,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
National polls are meaningless, but populism is not dead, its.......popular. Politicians like Trump telling people what they want to hear will never be out of fashion. See how fast Republicans abandoned conservative principles and embraced Trumpism? Next GOP candidate will probably try to re-sell conservatism, and then they'll pivot back to populism.
For the most part I agree with this. Except Republicans "abandoning" Conservative principles. I would say that populism aside Trump has been a pretty Conservative President across the board, more than Bush43 for sure, who talked the talk when it mattered but at the end of the day... many would argue Trump rivals Reagan in Conservative bona fides. Difference being Reagan knew how to articulate Conservative Principles and values where Trump leaves you wondering if he really understands them himself. At the very least Trump gives Conservatives enough to overlook those populist ideas that they havent historically supported. Deregulation, the Military, 2nd amendment, Prolife, tax cuts, judicial appointments, small business, education, paris accord, Iran deal, all areas that Conservatives can enthusiastically support Trump on. Unfortunately he gets an F on spending but so has everyone else thus far.
I do believe Trump will end up making a believer and changing some hearts and minds of some
Conservatives on his ( quasi-isolationist) foriegn policy.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:38 AM

8,963 posts, read 2,575,949 times
Hopefully if that happened, SCOTUS would manage to save the country from the far left authoritarians, but it would certainly be a dangerous 2 years.

Old 10-03-2020, 05:24 AM

754 posts, read 487,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Hopefully if that happened, SCOTUS would manage to save the country from the far left authoritarians, but it would certainly be a dangerous 2 years.
Democrats are planning to add 3 or 4 justices to it.

Old 10-03-2020, 05:27 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,553,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
1. Trump is not losing

2. IF Trump lost, Biden will screw everything up so badly that the next POTUS will be a republican.

3. Republicans, unlike Dems, do not tolerate horrible candidates anymore. McCain and Romney were the last straws. Thus, republicans have DEMANDED a candidate who actually supports America and is not a RINO.

4. Unlike democrats, who move further left, despite the outcome of elections, republicans have shown they can adapt. Remember when Obama was POTUS that the "death of conservatism" was declared?
Trump is literally a Democrat

Old 10-03-2020, 05:43 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,749,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Trump is literally a Democrat
??? Trump isn't a woke white rioter

Old 10-03-2020, 05:46 AM

7,247 posts, read 4,582,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I don't think nationalism/populism is ever going away. Whether Trump wins or loses the question of whether another populist and non-globalist president will be elected ever again is another question.
Agreed. In fact after seeing how the democrats acted I suspect those groups will be even more motivated -- honestly I think this could be setting up a "super" Trump down the line.

Democrats should be afraid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies