Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 08:20 PM

37,099 posts, read 41,226,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
What is your point? I developed type I diabetes 30 years ago, at age 34 or so. So, what are you suggesting?
That people with comorbid conditions who died from COVID-19 were not destined to die within days anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Yes, I know. That's why I said "technically caused" by Covid19, but not really. That's why we use the phrase "old age killed them" because we know these people are falling apart, and it's just a matter of time. I'm not talking about an average 80 year old, but those bed ridden folks in the nursing homes that make up over 50% of Covid19 deaths.
Not everyone in a nursing home is bedridden. Many just need help with activities of daily living.

Quote:
It happens a lot of the time. And will be counted as a Covid19 death on these death tally tickers kept by the various orgs.
No, it does not happen "a lot of the time". Flu is seasonal. The last season ended just as the coronavirus took hold. The current flu season is just beginning, and coronavirus mitigation should mitigate flu, too, as happened in the southern hemisphere. If someone dies who is infected with both viruses - and there will not be a lot of them, then the cause would be coinfection with the two.

Quote:
I'm not taking precautions, but I don't seem to be able to catch it either. Even in presence of friends who later tested +, I never even had a sniffle.
After you were exposed and did not feel sick antibody testing would have been helpful. You may have had an aymptomatic case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
There was excess deaths for 2 months, April and May then deaths normalized and some weeks have actually been below average since the end of May.

Unfortunately US data is not released for at least a year so it’s easy for those that want to, to mislead the public with statements and graphs of deaths but hide the actual number of deaths creating fear and control that wouldn’t be there had the public have access to the real facts.

If anyone here is interested in real facts then please download the weekly data for England and Wales, https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...nglandandwales

This is the actual data for a population of 67 million people, it shows deaths by age, sex and cause of death and compares each week this year to the averages of the previous 5 years.

Since March the data for Covid has also been included, it makes interesting reading and shows clearly at least to me that Covid does not warrant the response it’s currently getting.

I’d love to hear people’s thoughts on this ?
Excess deaths in the US are being reported on a weekly basis. There is no attempt to mislead.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/d...lyExcessDeaths

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/e...e&region=World

Data for recent weeks is incomplete, but still above average.

England and Wales are indeed doing better:

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/e...s&region=World
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 08:37 PM

1,129 posts, read 469,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That people with comorbid conditions who died from COVID-19 were not destined to die within days anyway.

Not everyone in a nursing home is bedridden. Many just need help with activities of daily living.

No, it does not happen "a lot of the time". Flu is seasonal. The last season ended just as the coronavirus took hold. The current flu season is just beginning, and coronavirus mitigation should mitigate flu, too, as happened in the southern hemisphere. If someone dies who is infected with both viruses - and there will not be a lot of them, then the cause would be coinfection with the two.

After you were exposed and did not feel sick antibody testing would have been helpful. You may have had an aymptomatic case.

Excess deaths in the US are being reported on a weekly basis. There is no attempt to mislead.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/d...lyExcessDeaths

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/e...e&region=World

Data for recent weeks is incomplete, but still above average.

England and Wales are indeed doing better:

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/e...s&region=World

Thanks for those links, they help a lot,

I have been struggling to get detailed data on the US but found some after posting above , the cdc are showing around a 10% increase in deaths for the last few months, the question now is, are these Covid deaths or the increase in cancer heart disease and suicide that are increasing ?

Whatever way we look at the data the worst was over at the end of May with 40% increase which was terrible but according to the cdc the deaths have been below average for the last 3 weeks, even with those additional deaths that are now recognized and not Covid related but caused by Covid restrictions.

Again thanks for the links...

Old 10-10-2020, 08:55 PM

37,099 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Thanks for those links, they help a lot,

I have been struggling to get detailed data on the US but found some after posting above , the cdc are showing around a 10% increase in deaths for the last few months, the question now is, are these Covid deaths or the increase in cancer heart disease and suicide that are increasing ?

Whatever way we look at the data the worst was over at the end of May with 40% increase which was terrible but according to the cdc the deaths have been below average for the last 3 weeks, even with those additional deaths that are now recognized and not Covid related but caused by Covid restrictions.

Again thanks for the links...
You are welcome. Just keep in mind that the numbers for recent weeks will be revised upward.

The excess deaths parallel the COVID-19 deaths, and some excess cardiovascular deaths may be undiagnosed COVID-19 cases, since the clotting associated with the viral infection can cause heart attacks and strokes.

Old 10-11-2020, 01:30 AM

1,129 posts, read 469,810 times
Default Of at

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You are welcome. Just keep in mind that the numbers for recent weeks will be revised upward.

The excess deaths parallel the COVID-19 deaths, and some excess cardiovascular deaths may be undiagnosed COVID-19 cases, since the clotting associated with the viral infection can cause heart attacks and strokes.
That’s a different debate, I know of 3 people who have died due to failure to access healthcare due to lockdowns and restrictions where they have subsequently died over the last six months compared to only one lady who died of Covid at only 44, it turned out she had recently recovered from cancer so obviously this had weakened her ability to fight off infection and she died of pneumonia, very sad.

I personally know of several people who have fully recovered from COVID-19 including my elderly neighbors in Florida, one had no symptoms, the others recovered within 3 to 4 days after feeling lethargic, including my neighbor who has diabetes and recent cancer history.

It’s definitely not the same for everyone unfortunately but the numbers are increasingly stacked in our favour and looking at the below than average deaths recently it indicates that the sudden increase in deaths in April May was Covid helping those across the line who were already being supported to stay alive by medical intervention.

Is continuing trying to hide from the virus the right approach?

More and more health professionals are arguing that it isn’t and that herd immunity is the natural and best way to progress now.

Old 10-11-2020, 07:04 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
That’s a different debate, I know of 3 people who have died due to failure to access healthcare due to lockdowns and restrictions where they have subsequently died over the last six months compared to only one lady who died of Covid at only 44, it turned out she had recently recovered from cancer so obviously this had weakened her ability to fight off infection and she died of pneumonia, very sad.

I personally know of several people who have fully recovered from COVID-19 including my elderly neighbors in Florida, one had no symptoms, the others recovered within 3 to 4 days after feeling lethargic, including my neighbor who has diabetes and recent cancer history.

It’s definitely not the same for everyone unfortunately but the numbers are increasingly stacked in our favour and looking at the below than average deaths recently it indicates that the sudden increase in deaths in April May was Covid helping those across the line who were already being supported to stay alive by medical intervention.

Is continuing trying to hide from the virus the right approach?

More and more health professionals are arguing that it isn’t and that herd immunity is the natural and best way to progress now.
Over time we will get at those deaths as you mention due to the side effects of Pandemic related protocols. If you can describe a bit of those 3 unfortunate patients, it would be appreciated.

As the Pandemic IMO is evolving, our treatments improved, in general it is time to unwind. Movement towards gradual and sensible business opening, with some distancing and masking depending on risks. Seniors and those at high risk will have to stay masked for now.

Over the remainder of the year we will see more of an emergence of monoclonal AB treatments, and then very likely get a much better hold on more serious Covid 19 disease. That is if the process can be significantly ramped up with production and distribution. Turning serious Covid 19 disease into a less than lethal condition will of course be a major improvement. And then vaccines, where those at highest risk will be the first in line. HC workers, nursing home patients, seniors, and others at high risk.

Old 10-11-2020, 07:33 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,872,571 times
When you see an old friend died from "complications of diabetes" do you doubt that diabetes killed them?
Do you then think that their death certificate lists "diabetes" - exclusively - without any contributing factors?
And since there are nearly always contributing factors - should we start doubt that anyone dies of diabetes?
And since diabetes is often a "contributing factor" than should we leave those deaths off the stats?

If their diabetes damaged their organs, then they died of organ failure - should we say diabetes did not kill them?

And if the person did not have diabetes - then do you still say, "Eh, something else would have killed him soon anyway."

That's the senseless and circular nature of this "no one dies from COVID" argument. It's just an unawareness of How People Die, and How Records are Kept - it's not a scam or hoax or untruth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies