Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2020, 04:41 PM

1,169 posts, read 753,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

I've noticed that alot of Neo-Nazis love the Confederate flag. The KKK loves it too. The Confederate flags were brought out during the 1950s and 60s too, in protest against integration. There was a spike in schools named for Robert E. Lee and other Confederate generals in the 50s and 60s. It makes me wonder if named those schools after Confederate generals was done as a middle finger to school integration.
Not much need to wonder about it, it's been discussed at length in academic study. Same with all of the new Confederate monuments being dedicated - and the rebirth of the KKK - more than fifty years after the end of the war in response to social changes happening after the end of WW1.

Backlash effect/countermovement is a pernicious, stubborn human macro trait.

Old 10-15-2020, 04:49 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 19 days ago)

35,670 posts, read 18,040,478 times
There's some value in allowing people who announce who they are.

If you force bigots to stop flying the Confederate flag, they're still bigots but people aren't put on alert to that fact.

I say let anyone who wants to fly that flag do so - so we can all make our choices about which neighborhood we want to live in and which schools to send our kids to.

Better than finding out later.

Old 10-15-2020, 04:55 PM

25,899 posts, read 18,912,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

If you force bigots to stop flying the Confederate flag, they're still bigots but people aren't put on alert to that fact.

I say let anyone who wants to fly that flag do so - so we can all make our choices about which neighborhood we want to live in and which schools to send our kids to.

I wish all liberals were forced to fly some sort of a flag for the very same reasons. Sometimes it is obvious just by appearance, but most times not.

Old 10-15-2020, 05:00 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,939,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Coddling Confederate sympathizers was an egregious mistake. It is still being felt today. The Confederates should have been treated the way anyone treats traitors.
The Civil Rights Act of 1866, 14 Stat. 27–30, affirming that "all citizens are equally protected by the law" was delayed for over a century!

& Frederick Douglas was prescient, he knew with whom he was dealing:

Quote:
"Whatever else I may forget, I shall never forget the difference between those who fought for liberty and those who fought for slavery.”
& the nauseating flatteries continue, & continue to, very simply, nauseate.

Quote:
"We can scarcely take up a newspaper . . . that is not filled with nauseating flatteries” of Lee, from which “it would seem . . . that the soldier who kills the most men in battle, even in a bad cause, is the greatest Christian, and entitled to the highest place in heaven.”

Old 10-15-2020, 05:06 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 19 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I wish all liberals were forced to fly some sort of a flag for the very same reasons. Sometimes it is obvious just by appearance, but most times not.
Hey, I'm not wanting to force anyone to do ANYTHING.

What I'm suggesting is, that we stop forcing bigots to hide who they are.

But I'm not into forcing bigots into flying the Confederate Flag.

I just appreciate when vicious dogs give you plenty of warning they're likely to attack.

Last edited by ClaraC; 10-15-2020 at 05:16 PM..

Old 10-15-2020, 05:27 PM

2,707 posts, read 1,036,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
I, too, am a proud Georgian. What you say may be true in parts of rural Georgia.
Atlanta suburbs? Not so much.
Oh absolutely. Atlanta and its suburbs are like another country. I don't care for them much, I may visit to shop there but I leave as soon as I can, and I always carried when I went there, just didn't feel safe.

Old 10-15-2020, 05:31 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,893,683 times
Quote:

If you force people to stop flying the flag, then you are the bigot and probably anti-American, anti-free speech and are against white folks.

Old 10-15-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
If you force people to stop flying the flag, then you are the bigot and probably anti-American, anti-free speech and are against white folks.
The Confederate Flag is the very symbol of "Anti American", mtl1.

It symbolizes a movement to secede from the United States, in order to declare war against the United States.

What in the world could be MORE Anti-American than THAT?

Old 10-15-2020, 05:52 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,893,683 times
Quote:
The Confederate Flag is the very symbol of "Anti American", mtl1.

It symbolizes a movement to secede from the United States, in order to declare war against the United States.

What in the world could be MORE Anti-American than THAT?
Not true. Southerners have been keeping and displaying their southern heritage symbols for over 150 years and are some of the most patriotic people there are.

Old 10-15-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Not true. Southerners have been keeping and displaying their southern heritage symbols for over 150 years and are some of the most patriotic people there are.
Using the symbol of the years when the south was DEFINITELY not "the most patriotic people there are" toward the united states seems an odd item to choose to try to prove your patriotism. Very odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies