Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2020, 01:41 PM

28,338 posts, read 16,474,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
FWIW,with the introduction of the new Hummer 1000 HP electric platforms, I would kill to see a return to big coupe/sedans on that platform. I'd love to cruise Venice in a 1967 Eldorado that was all electric
As GM becomes more proficient with e platforms, I wouldn't be surprised to see a luxury sedan release from Cadillac as an electric vehicle to compete with Tesla, et al in that market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 06:31 PM

28,730 posts, read 18,967,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
So if they propose that you visit the dentist, you're just going to take the cavities instead?

Well, that's how such people took Michelle Obama's suggestion to follow the long-standing FDA dietary guidelines.

Old 10-26-2020, 06:49 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,717,010 times
The future is fossil fuel replacements and technology. To ignore this is to go the way of the dinosaur.
The country that leads in this area will emerge as the world leader especially in finance. It means plenty of good high paying jobs with benefits.

After Joe Biden is elected prices on gas alternative vehicles will come down. There will be an expansion of charging stations. The air will become cleaner. Rolling down your window in traffic won't mean choking on gas and diesel fumes.

The change is coming whether you want it or not.

Old 10-26-2020, 07:41 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,072,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest09 View Post
I will take a pass. I love my 4X4 fossil fuel pickup truck.

yes, I'd be happy to give up my gas guzzler for something more eco-friendly. I derive no pleasure from threatening the health and well-being of future genertaions.

Old 10-26-2020, 11:22 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,922,933 times
Battery powered vehicles will never be competitive with gas vehicles.

Old 10-26-2020, 11:35 PM

13,587 posts, read 7,548,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
"Never" LOL like saying vehicles never get more then 12 mpg in 1970. Tesla has proven it is competitive their latest models can go 370 miles without a recharge. In 5 years that will be extended to 1000 miles and electric cars will be able to go farther then gas engine cars. Most people don't drive more then 200 miles in a day.

Old 10-27-2020, 12:10 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,922,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
"Never" LOL like saying vehicles never get more then 12 mpg in 1970. Tesla has proven it is competitive their latest models can go 370 miles without a recharge. In 5 years that will be extended to 1000 miles and electric cars will be able to go farther then gas engine cars. Most people don't drive more then 200 miles in a day.
Battery energy capacity and cost are not expected to change much in the foreseeable future. It would take a major breakthrough.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:11 AM

5,936 posts, read 4,722,317 times
Here's my take on people's fear of electric cars:

For the vast majority of Americans, owning an electric car is like having a gas-powered car that is filled up to full every morning.

Truly, that's it.

Sure, lots of people will find reasons to not go for an electric car. And these might be very valid reasons. If someone does indeed drive 300+ miles per day, an electric car might not be right for you. If you are driving 300+ miles only a few times per year... it really isn't a big deal.

More so, let's say you own two cars (Nuclear family, mom's car, dad's car, etc). The chances of both mom and dad driving outside the radius of their range on the same day is likely very small for most Americans in these circumstances. What if one car was gas-powered (or a plug-in hybrid) and the other an electric vehicle. Many plug-in hybrids can get you to work and back (40-50 mile range) without burning any gas. And if you did need to drive out of that range, then the gas-burning engine fuels the car.

Either way, you cut down on emissions greatly.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:13 AM

10,512 posts, read 5,205,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post

Ha ha! This post won't age well. Bookmarked!

The new all-electric Ford Mustang sold out in just 9 days. In 2022 Ford will sell the all-electric F150 pickup, which will have more horsepower, torque and towing capacity than any of the fossil fuel versions of the F150. The huge engine compartment will no have no engine; instead, it will be a very large trunk that will provide locked storage for suitcases, tools, etc. I predict many conservative truck die-hards will stroke their chins and think, "Hmm... maybe this electric thing isn't so bad after all..." I predict that truck will be a hit.

Consumers will buy electric because it'll be the best product. Tesla batteries are documented as lasting over 300,000 miles. No gasoline engine can last that long. Electric is far more convenient -- no more visits to gas stations, no oil changes, no smog checks.

The electric train has left the station and it ain't coming back. Don't worry conservatives, the government isn't going to force you to give up your gas vehicle. The free market will do it, consumer demand will choose electric. Automakers know this, that's why they have invested billions into EV development and they are racing to get new EV models out the door.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:23 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,426,026 times
What I drive has nothing to do with my politics. That said, I have a huge solar array and drive an electric car, so theoretically I drive a solar-powered car. Doesn't influence who I will vote for, though.

Love waking up with a car that has a full "tank" every day. I forget how to put gas in a car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies