Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2021, 10:24 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,589,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I get your gripe but here is what your missing...

In 1865, shortly at the end of the war.. Confederates were not considered Traitors.. They weren't. Now you might think you know better than the folks who were around back then... and I am talking about the leaders, Lincoln, Grant, etc.. They DID NOT consider them traitors.. PERIOD.. so, if they were ok with them, so am i because I am smart enough to know, they knew more than i did!

Take all the monuments down you want.. bothers me in the least. Hate Confederates all you want.. I get it.. i really do... but your missing a large swatch of history with your narrow vision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Lincoln might have not called the traitors. However, I think about Article 3, Section 3 in the Constitution. What the likes of Lee and other Confederate generals did falls under treason. Just because Lincoln didn't consider them traitors, just because Grant didn't consider then traitors, does not mean they weren't. Just because Lincoln and Grant were willing to let it slide, that doesn't mean I will. The leaders of then were afraid of a guerrilla war breaking out. The U.S. was trying to keep the peace.
Well --- they were not working very hard at doing it ---
Beyond those articles, which you have yet to see the Union's manipulation within those documents as it is being called out ...

Notes of the Secret Debates of the Federal Convention of 1787, Taken by the Late Hon Robert Yates, Chief Justice of the State of New York, and One of the Delegates from That State to the Said Convention. (1)

I don't think you want to understand it --- honestly, the short of it, is too easy, no critical thinking necessary.

Old 07-12-2021, 10:28 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Progressives: “Robert E Lee was evil.”

Also Progressives: “Thomas Jefferson and George Washington owning slaves wasn’t that bad, we can’t literally purge our slave owning founding fathers. We have to draw an arbitrary line somewhere.”
We aren’t taking down Washington or Jefferson. Get that through your skull and get over it. We’re taking down the legacy of Robert E Lee until the vestiges of his fake legacy are swept away.

Deal with it.

Old 07-12-2021, 10:32 PM

24,599 posts, read 9,440,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
We aren’t taking down Washington or Jefferson. Get that through your skull and get over it. We’re taking down the legacy of Robert E Lee until the vestiges of his fake legacy are swept away.

Deal with it.
So slave owners shall be honored forever.

Deal with it.

Oh and Robert E Lee’s legacy is still in American museums, deal with it.

So much for being “woke” when you can’t accept that this country was founded on slave owning politicians who will be honored forever.

Old 07-12-2021, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
What was life like for Africans on the Continent of Africa, (1600 - 1800s) while those here were working the fields, that makes that statement of belief untrue? What were they missing on their home Continent that would make them 'want' to return?
Omit the tribal rivalry on the Africa Continent between the Volta Kingdoms and the Asante Empire, which is how they ended up here to begin with --- well those that survived their kidnapping that is. Many murdered; women rapped before making it to the auction block --- so rather than make that purchase, they should have been left there for whatever fate would have fallen to them? If slavery had never been made a market, would they have survived past the age of 10, within the conditions of the political culture? What painful discipline would they have had to endure to survive, much less live?

Death By Tire Fire: A Brief History Of “Necklacing” In Apartheid South Africa

^ that (saw in on t.v. is how I know of it) is how they do it today. I can't imagine what they had to endure just after medieval times, which in terms of barbarianism they didn't get very for out of that mindset, if you ask me. (I also, cannot imagine anyone of their right mind wanting to live there today)

My ancestors sold themselves into slavery in the later 1600s to get to this Continent --- I know what they missed by not staying in the place of their birth. Just because Rome fell, did not mean that was the end of the Holy Roman Empire and its influence. The path to modernity was long.

Robert E Lee was wrong, I guess then --- the wise and merciful thing to do, would be to have left them. so the rival tribe could have slit their throats and been done with it.

If it had worked out that way the African would have arrived much later, that is, those that made it out alive.
Quote:
This doesn’t concern Africa. I’m solely concerned about what happened in my own country.
And Lee's words?
Quote:
I think it however a greater evil to the white man than to the black race, & while my feelings are strongly enlisted in behalf of the latter, my sympathies are more strong for the former. The blacks are immeasurably better off here than in Africa, morally, socially & physically. The painful discipline they are undergoing, is necessary for their instruction as a race, & I hope will prepare & lead them to better things. How long their subjugation may be necessary is known & ordered by a wise Merciful Providence. Their emancipation will sooner result from the mild & melting influence of Christianity, than the storms & tempests of fiery Controversy.

Do you honestly believe the living conditions were better in Africa than here? Opportunities, landholdings, wealth, etc? Better in Africa?

Old 07-12-2021, 10:39 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,046,900 times
It's a disgrace that these statues haven't been removed sooner. We don't need statues of traitors to our country. And most of these statues weren't built after the civil war ended, they were built during the Jim Crow era which was 100 years later. Why do you think that was.

Old 07-12-2021, 10:40 PM

736 posts, read 455,871 times
Bye FeLeecia!

Old 07-12-2021, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Just thought it should be noted that a statue of Confederate General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson was also removed from its base in another city park shortly after the Robert E Lee statue was literally & metaphorically removed from its pedestal.

Good show!
Just thought it should be noted that many of these statues are simply being relocated to museums where BLM can’t vandalize them.

Not that it makes a difference when our founding fathers like Thomas Jefferson and George Washington owned hundreds of slaves themselves, slavery just wasn’t a big deal back then hence liberals don’t tear down said statues. Even we blacks owned slaves.

You would literally have to purge all of American history to remove the slave owners who are honored.

Old 07-12-2021, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Progressives: “Robert E Lee was evil.”

Also Progressives: “Thomas Jefferson and George Washington owning slaves wasn’t that bad, we can’t literally purge our slave owning founding fathers.”
Quote:

Deal with it.
It is greater to fight for slavery, than liberty. That is what you want people to deal with.

[side note: when the pandemic broke out, one manufacturer on masks in Plano Texas had been asking the Federal Government to allow them to increase inventory, 15 years prior; every year after and was told, no --- that is how freedom, is being defined by slavery]

They're fine with taking down the Statues --- that's easy. Keep people looking in the opposite direction, from where they should look; it works for them.

Old 07-12-2021, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
And Lee's words?

Do you honestly believe the living conditions were better in Africa than here? Opportunities, landholdings, wealth, etc? Better in Africa?
He does, because he believes we blacks are permanent victims.

Without slavery, the American black population would be no bigger than Canada’s at 3%, instead it’s 14%.

Liberals can’t accept the silver lining that importing 200K Africans created a 48 million demographic that would’ve never existed, and doesn’t exist in any other developed country: a 14% black population of sub Saharan descendants in a white western country.

I’m no Einstein, but I would have rather existed than never have existed at all, so I won’t be re-winding time and changing America’s history any time soon.

Furthermore, the fact that many Africans were shipped to developing countries like Brazil, Cuba, and Haiti instead of America, only re-confirms the rarity of the ones who actually came to America. The chances were low. America imported 200K slaves while Brazil imported 4 million, so the lottery winners of the African diaspora are very clear.

Old 07-12-2021, 10:47 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,565,658 times
Those who forget history are condemned to repeat it. These statues are tools to teach history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies