Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2020, 09:55 AM

47,010 posts, read 26,062,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
What I went looking for were the stories I had read, where as, those in the South rescued their Slaves from conditions in the North --- there are millions of records that give the accounts of, things that didn't make the polished history narrative, it is those records that I read go hum --- then I go onto something else --- when things like that get brought up in a discussion, it is hard to navigate back and find that which I read --- So this will have to do for now:

NORTHERN EMANCIPATION

I trust you can read it, make sense of it, without the needed highlighting of the material.
Seems like that source depicts a better life for slaves in the North:

Quote:
Northern slaves, more often than those of the colonial South or other parts of the Americas, had filled skilled positions, working as artisans, especially in the cities. They appear as bakers, tailors, weavers, goldsmiths, and woodcut illustrators. Such status allowed them a certain power to negotiate with their masters, and win certain protections.
Emancipation lost them that protection, because the white people they competed with hated them and made sure to exclude them from those coveted positions. But the fact that unraveling slavery comes with a set of new, tough problems shouldn't count in slavery's favor.

The fact that Britain - the world's undisputed superpower at the time - passed the slave trade act in 1807 (and upheld it with their navy, at great expense) as well as the emancipation act in 1833 kicked the chair out from under slavery. The writing was on the wall.

Secession was a desperate last-minute ploy to avoid the economic upheaval that dismantling a slave economy would lead to. The influential people of the South were also those most invested in the slavery-based economy.

The South held a strong hand with their near-monopoly on cotton, but they overplayed it - a theme found again and again in that conflict, the South dealing with the world as they felt it should be rather than as it was.

Old 12-31-2020, 09:58 AM

47,010 posts, read 26,062,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Do you honestly feel that Lincoln should be defined by that? If you look at his entire body of work it would show that he was a champion for abolishing slavery and restoring rights to blacks in America.
Lincoln wasn't naive, he knew that slavery would be a very messy institution to unravel. His opposition was on moral grounds, but as can be told, he despaired at even imagining a practical way of dismantling the situation. Easier to break something than to fix it, always.

Old 12-31-2020, 10:18 AM

726 posts, read 329,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
What should be done with the statues? The best solution would be to move them to a Civil War battle site....
It would be better in a museum of history. Nobody's erasing history. American history is not being "canceled." Lee will be remembered as a Confederate general. Given the aims of the Confederacy, can we not agree that Confederates should not be given places of honor as heroes?

Old 12-31-2020, 12:23 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,610,483 times
Quote:
Do you honestly feel that Lincoln should be defined by that? If you look at his entire body of work it would show that he was a champion for abolishing slavery and restoring rights to blacks in America.

That being said, I need to call this out as another red herring attempt to direct focus away from the topic at hand, which you seem exceedingly desperate to avoid discussing directly.
Many great men of honor owned slaves through the inheritance of them; kept them so as to take care of them and today they are vilified for doing so --- and they were against the whole notion of slavery. But you will hold Lincoln separate from them, why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Seems like that source depicts a better life for slaves in the North:

Emancipation lost them that protection, because the white people they competed with hated them and made sure to exclude them from those coveted positions. But the fact that unraveling slavery comes with a set of new, tough problems shouldn't count in slavery's favor.

The fact that Britain - the world's undisputed superpower at the time - passed the slave trade act in 1807 (and upheld it with their navy, at great expense) as well as the emancipation act in 1833 kicked the chair out from under slavery. The writing was on the wall.

Secession was a desperate last-minute ploy to avoid the economic upheaval that dismantling a slave economy would lead to. The influential people of the South were also those most invested in the slavery-based economy.

The South held a strong hand with their near-monopoly on cotton, but they overplayed it - a theme found again and again in that conflict, the South dealing with the world as they felt it should be rather than as it was.
Conditions of slavery in the North, that was my argument.

The Quakers beat them, then the Quakers freed them without provisions. All the while enjoying the benefits of their labor in the South. At least the people in the South are/were honest, they didn't hide their true feelings --- and those that felt differently from the law, they showed that side of themselves, as well, in the South.

A little past; a little present
Here you have people who denied their past; never spoke of it:
'Willful amnesia': How Africans forgot — and remembered — their role in the slave trade

A nice story, ^ so what is going on today:
Human Trafficking & Modern-day Slavery

A true hero:

Ending child trafficking and slavery in Ghana

Stories of more heros:

Ghana

Seems to me the people in the u.s. want to cover up their history, as well, liken to that of Ghana --- you can not remove the white man's story without removing (their 100 year, fight for freedom, in what constitutes as freedom these days) the black man's story, as well, because the two stories are integrated. In time the black man will forget, like in Ghana, how they rose up, they will become soft in intellect and eventually --- history repeats itself.

Old 12-31-2020, 12:29 PM

51,656 posts, read 25,878,242 times
It isn't that he owned slaves or whether he treated home well or not, it's that Lee was a traitor.

He took an oath on his honor to defend the Constitution and the U.S. and then led attacks on the U.S.

He was a traitor. Regardless of reasons, he was.

He does not deserve a place of honor in the town square.

Gettysburg would be a more suitable location.

Or Andersonville.

Old 12-31-2020, 12:31 PM

73,087 posts, read 62,726,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Consider his afflictions.

Imagine his difficulties in understanding the brilliance of someone like Stephen Hawkins fr'instance.

I still think one of his biggest obstacles is overcoming the underlying nonsensical libertarian ideology. It's rather stunning in its idiotic impotent irrelevance. Implausible also.
My opinion on this.

It is a matter of afflictions, but different ones. What I see is alot of mental gymnastics. What I see is someone who gaslights in the classic sense. Telling lies, weaving a web around those lies, and using those lies to try and making those that disagree with him feel stupid. Or in my case, reading such lies are just exhausting. Lying about slavery, lying about what Black Americans had to go through in the Antebellum South AND the Jim Crow South. Having to spend more time proving someone out to be a liar than actually talking about why statues to Robert E. Lee have no place in American society.

Old 12-31-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
It isn't that he owned slaves or whether he treated home well or not, it's that Lee was a traitor.

He took an oath on his honor to defend the Constitution and the U.S. and then led attacks on the U.S.

He was a traitor. Regardless of reasons, he was.

He does not deserve a place of honor in the town square.

Gettysburg would be a more suitable location.

Or Andersonville.
per that in bold: Defend from foreign and domestic --- foreign is cool, every one gets that right --- but domestic, those people are traitors.

May want to re-think that in terms of today, as well.

Government has all the domestic power and the people have none.

Old 12-31-2020, 01:04 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,391,713 times
Quote:
Many great men of honor owned slaves through the inheritance of them; kept them so as to take care of them and today they are vilified for doing so --- and they were against the whole notion of slavery. But you will hold Lincoln separate from them, why?
Lincoln never owned slaves. He has zero to do with this topic which is about the Robert E. Lee statue....

Please, no more whataboutisms. Let’s try to stay on topic.

Old 12-31-2020, 01:04 PM

73,087 posts, read 62,726,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone1791 View Post
It would be better in a museum of history. Nobody's erasing history. American history is not being "canceled." Lee will be remembered as a Confederate general. Given the aims of the Confederacy, can we not agree that Confederates should not be given places of honor as heroes?
This is just my opinion. When some people say that taking down Lee's statue is "tearing down history, it's not really about history. American history is in textbooks. We have ways of learning about Robert E. Lee. And given what the aims of the Confederacy were, I agree with you that Confederates do not deserve places of honor. However, THIS, this is what some people really want. Some people feel that Robert E. Lee deserves a place of honor. It's not really about history (the correct history). It's about some people revering Lee, revering the aims of the Confederacy, and being unhappy with alot of people saying "the Confederates don't deserve to be honored".

At the end of the day, one of the biggest punishments in regard to the Confederate cause is that some people now have to explain why so many statues to those undeserving of being honored are up. Those who hold true to the Confederate cause are now finding themselves fighting with those who understand that the Confederate cause was a bad cause.

Old 12-31-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I do; was Abraham Lincoln an antebellum slaver or a traitor?
Quote:
Neither as far as I can tell?
Quote:
Wealth might come into play as the reason Lincoln didn't have any slaves of his own, as many in that time were owned through inheritance ---- well this answers that:

Mary Todd Lincoln House
Quote:
Quote:
Lincoln never owned slaves. He has zero to do with this topic which is about the Robert E. Lee statue....

Please, no more whataboutisms. Let’s try to stay on topic.
You were saying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies