Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2021, 11:38 AM

73,141 posts, read 62,811,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Always wondered why Robert E. Lee was let go. Anywhere else and he'd be hanged. At the time they must not have thought much of him to banish him. 150 years later and suddenly people have a epiphany.
Here is a link about Lee getting tried for treason: https://historynewsnetwork.org/artic...0the%20charges.

Old 01-02-2021, 11:45 AM

37,973 posts, read 17,926,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
What are you going to replace it with, a parking lot?

Statues are the few forms of public work left in this country, the only non-racist figure you can create is that of consumption.

Money sees no color, perhaps a shopping mall would be an improvement?
Commemorate battlefields, not those who fought for a defeated nation.

Remember it's only treason when you loose.

Old 01-02-2021, 12:28 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,458,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Commemorate battlefields, not those who fought for a defeated nation.

Remember it's only treason when you loose.
With what, these are public statues, not fields of grass.

Do you mean to replace the general with a cannon?

Old 01-02-2021, 12:43 PM

73,141 posts, read 62,811,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I like context, yes. And in the actual, specific context of Civil War memorials, Lee was very, very exact:

"I think it wiser not to keep open the sores of war but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, to commit to oblivion the feelings engendered."

Of course, the Daughters of the Confederacy and others of their ilk ignored that decent advice and did everything in their power to keep open the sores of war. Don't pretend that's honorable, please.
Dane_in_LA, maybe this is the cynicism in me, but I think the UDC didn't just ignore the decent advice they were given. I think they gave that advice, and the people who who gave it, the middle finger. It wasn't just Lee who didn't want statues of his likeness. There were many people back then who weren't happy to see monuments to Confederate generals.

The United Daughters of the Confederacy did more than just erect Confederate monuments. It also erected monuments praising the Ku Klux Klan. It also managed to get lies into textbooks. The United Daughters had some of the ugliest influence on school children, without being able to vote at the time. The UDC pushed white supremacy in a roundabout way. The UDC would say things like "Black slaves were happy and contented in their slave condition".

I read this article today, to supplement some of the points people like you and me are trying to convey. What the UDC was doing was part of an effort to promote and entrench white supremacy in the South.

https://evblog.virginiahumanities.or...ite-supremacy/

Old 01-02-2021, 12:53 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,620,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Dane_in_LA, maybe this is the cynicism in me, but I think the UDC didn't just ignore the decent advice they were given. I think they gave that advice, and the people who who gave it, the middle finger. It wasn't just Lee who didn't want statues of his likeness. There were many people back then who weren't happy to see monuments to Confederate generals.

The United Daughters of the Confederacy did more than just erect Confederate monuments. It also erected monuments praising the Ku Klux Klan. It also managed to get lies into textbooks. The United Daughters had some of the ugliest influence on school children, without being able to vote at the time. The UDC pushed white supremacy in a roundabout way. The UDC would say things like "Black slaves were happy and contented in their slave condition".

I read this article today, to supplement some of the points people like you and me are trying to convey. What the UDC was doing was part of an effort to promote and entrench white supremacy in the South.

And while your on that, I am on this:
The unwritten South : cause, progress and result of the Civil ... Relics of Hidden Truth after 40 Years.

"In 1787 the Northern States voted against the abolition of slavery, the Southern States voted for it. pg 66

Henry had written to the authorities, who had employed him in Canada, that although he found the leaders of the Federalists of New England ripe for any measure which could sever the Union, yet the masses of the people held so strongly to the sentiment of Union that he doubted if it could be immediately dissolved. pg 68 He suggested that the best way to further this scheme of disunion would be to get up some sectional domestic question on which the prejudices and passions of the people could be permanently divided. This, he was sure would in time accomplish disunion. The sectional question he spoke of was slavery. He did not miscalculate, it did its work." pg 69

The Norther States too had a confederacy --- opposition to the u.s. Constitution was large.

That that was sowed then, continues to be sowed today.

But it is treason to redress the government.

Old 01-02-2021, 01:31 PM

Quote:

What would you expect from democrats?

btw Which party do you support again?

Old 01-02-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
With what, these are public statues, not fields of grass.
And? So? Try making a point next time.

Quote:
Do you mean to replace the general with a cannon?
I mean just what I said. My very simple, easy to understand statement. Do not have statues of those who fought for a defeated nation. Understand that?

Make it about the battle and not the person. Understand that?

Old 01-02-2021, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Here is a link about Lee getting tried for treason: https://historynewsnetwork.org/artic...0the%20charges.
Show the link about the Founders being treasonous. I like that one better.

Old 01-02-2021, 10:02 PM

254 posts, read 115,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Statement of the United Daughters of the Confederacy:

https://hqudc.org
The confederate soldiers were patriots lol

Old 01-03-2021, 12:54 PM

47,021 posts, read 26,105,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Show the link about the Founders being treasonous. I like that one better.
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.

The Founders absolutely were traitors to King George III and would've been strung up if they'd lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.