Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2021, 11:20 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,605,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You're applying that fine quote wrong.

In the years following the Civil War, it was the political elite in the South who took it upon themselves to rewrite history - a process they're still eagerly pursuing. Making it clear that Lee wasn't a hero fighting for noble cause and doesn't deserve a place of honor in the public square - that's setting the record straight.

The Daughters of the Confederacy and groups of their ilk are the ones who have been rewriting history.
So you're saying that when they write the history books to teach from in the government public school, they ask the daughters or those like them for their input? and choose what they have to say as recorded history?

Old 01-04-2021, 11:54 AM

46,978 posts, read 26,033,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
So you're saying that when they write the history books to teach from in the government public school, they ask the daughters or those like them for their input? and choose what they have to say as recorded history?
You didn't know?

https://www.facingsouth.org/2019/04/...hs-schoolbooks

Or are you confusing the United Daughters of the Confederacy with some random daughters?

The UDC-approved textbooks - some used until 1940 - had this to say on slavery:

Quote:
As a rule the slaves were comfortably clothed, given an abundance of wholesome food, and kindly treated. Occasionally some hard-hearted master or bad-tempered mistress made the lot of their slaves a hard one, but such cases were not common. Cruel masters and cruel mistresses were scorned then just as men and women who treat animals cruelly are now scorned. These slaves were brought into the colonies fresh from a savage life in Africa and in two or three generations were changed into respectable men and women. This fact shows, better than any words can, how prudently and how wisely they were managed.
Hey, mike1003 - how's that for rewriting history?

And that is the white-washed (heh) version for kids. What they wrote to each other is quite a bit more racist.

Old 01-04-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
You didn't know?

https://www.facingsouth.org/2019/04/...hs-schoolbooks

Or are you confusing the United Daughters of the Confederacy with some random daughters?

The UDC-approved textbooks - some used until 1940 - had this to say on slavery:

Hey, mike1003 - how's that for rewriting history?

And that is the white-washed (heh) version for kids. What they wrote to each other is quite a bit more racist.
How is the Civil War taught in school? Depends on where you live.

Texas Will Finally Teach That Slavery Was Main Cause of the Civil War
Slavery has been upgraded to the primary cause in the curriculum, however states’ rights and sectionalism will still be taught as “contributing factors”

I graduated from a Christian high school; when I took history in college, civil war wasn't part of the curriculum.

George Orwell, 1984 vs, Brave New World

"Social critic Neil Postman contrasted the worlds of Nineteen Eighty-Four and Brave New World in the foreword of his 1985 book Amusing Ourselves to Death. He writes:

What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one. Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egoism. Orwell feared that the truth would be concealed from us. Huxley feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance. Orwell feared we would become a captive culture. Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies, the orgy porgy, and the centrifugal bumblepuppy. As Huxley remarked in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Huxley added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we hate will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we love will ruin us."

I did the math on the 40 million slaves today; average 195 countries --- that's over 205 thousand slaves in bondage per country and we are still talking about something that happened 160 years ago, as if it's over ---- tell me that the Party(s) don't know how to put the shinny object in front of us and make it work. (i didn't move the goal post; I added a goal to it)

Old 01-04-2021, 12:38 PM

46,978 posts, read 26,033,054 times
So you knew. OK.

Old 01-04-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
So you knew. OK.
I graduated from a Christian high school; when I took history in college, civil war wasn't part of the curriculum. I wasn't indoctrinated by the government public school system. But in reading this book that I have found, the author hasn't lied about anything else, I don't know why they would lie about this:

The unwritten South : cause, progress and result of the Civil ...

Relics of Hidden Truth After Forty Years: published 1903

"Being cognizant of the many and great exaggerations and prevarications obtaining in the histories used in the schools and colleges throughout the land, one is not surprised at the impressions made upon the young and tractable mind by misstatements prompted by sectional prejudice, but in consequence is made to sympathize with the victims of deception concerning the matter and makeup of the same, after forty years." (my bold)

There are millions of documents, original content, pertaining to the Civil War and the years prior --- it would be difficult to give all of that history justice in a classroom, that much is true. But in all the years this Government has preached unity, do you not wonder why it is they sow the seeds of division instead? There must be something in it for them or we would stand united as a people, "we are all Americans now".

The only thing that changed after that war, is the government can no longer collect taxes on people as property and today slavery is a multi-million dollar industry with 40 million slaves in bondage. I would think we as a people could do better in what we are outraged about. Those people are the invisible --- and yet the horror they must live through is real. But because they are invisible (the government(s) reaps the rewards of their labor) even the knowing they are there, we do nothing.

The only person that I know of that even tried to do something about it, was Obama --- if he knew about it, why doesn't everyone else and where are their advocates for freedom?

They are busy with statues and fighting a 160 year old war. If we could lay down our prejudices, we could change the world.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:23 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,933,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Where shall I begin?

Where is the supporting evidence?
Quote:
"It is known."

Where is the supporting evidence?
Quote:
Re: bold: evidence to support this extraordinary claim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Yes but this is all known. If you take environmental studies in high school you would learn all this as well.

Northern industry had high demand for cotton due to the concentration of textile mills. The soil in the south was highly conducive of heavy water crops, so that is where the crops were grown.

Northern industrialists did not have easy buyers otherwise, so the south was specialized with two crops (cotton and rice).

Foraging fell to the way side, and poor blacks/whites could no longer hunt the common forests. Blacks who originally could build lodging and hunt had to work longer hours for longer periods in the month (rather than just waiting for harvest).

This came from the north, in that without northern industry you would not see the brutal slavery tied with tidal farming and cotton growers.

This is not the natural disposition of the antebellum south, king cotton was just propaganda for foolish land owners.

You have no clue what you're talking about, I am not a libertarian. How many times do I have to tell you.
Your supporting evidence is 'you were taught environmental studies in high school' & still with the nonsensical & impotent "It is known"?

Ludicrous. It's likely you were taught the 'Lost Cause' mythologies your whole life. & likely never read one primary source document.

You are defending race-based enslavement as a "positive good"? Ridiculous. Some folks were proselytizing the very same or similar well before the American Civil War. John Calhoun was one of the most notorious in his propaganda, however there were others, & appparently there are some in the present day.

Slavery as a positive good in the United States

"The best-known political figure to defend black slavery as a "positive good," was John C. Calhoun, a political theorist and the seventh Vice President of the United States."

Quote:
Never before has the black race of Central Africa, from the dawn of history to the present day, attained a condition so civilized and so improved, not only physically, but morally and intellectually… It came to us in a low, degraded, and savage condition, and in the course of a few generations it has grown up under the fostering care of our institutions.[18]
Attempting to claim the moral mantle for the social defense of involuntary servitude, Calhoun declared:

Quote:
I take higher ground. I hold that in the present state of civilization, where two races of different origin, and distinguished by color, and other physical differences, as well as intellectual, are brought together, the relation now existing in the slaveholding States between the two, is, instead of an evil, a good—a positive good.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slav..._United_States

More info here:

John C. Calhoun: The Man Who Started the Civil War

https://web.archive.org/web/20200306...-civil-war.htm

Old 01-06-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Your supporting evidence is 'you were taught environmental studies in high school' & still with the nonsensical & impotent "It is known"?

Ludicrous. It's likely you were taught the 'Lost Cause' mythologies your whole life. & likely never read one primary source document.

You are defending race-based enslavement as a "positive good"? Ridiculous. Some folks were proselytizing the very same or similar well before the American Civil War. John Calhoun was one of the most notorious in his propaganda, however there were others, & appparently there are some in the present day.
Some of us are on the wrong side of history on the abortion and immigration issue today for when those two issues get debated on in the future and the Civil War is narrowly even mentioned in the teaching of our history, 100 years from now.

The primary source documents you speak of, do not (release the ban) overrule the importation of more slaves into the u.s. The States wanted to make their own decision on that issue, as well as, others in keeping with their right to be sovereign independent States without Federal Government mandating that decision for them. Liken to that of marrying more than one woman, that was decided without blood shed.

Race is a government (social) construct --- more than one nationality, sure, but race in itself does not exist. It is on this issue the government(s) lead their people around by the nose.

It was a whole other culture 160 - 200 years ago with a whole other way of life, maybe we should understand it so as we don't repeat it. When people come to realize that slavery did not end, it is then we will be on the right track to ending it once and for all --- until then, 40 million people are in bondage; government(s) know and do nothing. I see people with priorities that are miss placed with government(s) ever so happy, that they are.

Old 01-06-2021, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Agreeing with, it's similar to, “He who has ears, let him hear"; <-- also makes it less exhausting imho.

While I think history matters, & getting history right matters, I also think forgiveness matters.

It's less challenging to forgive someone who is just plain getting history wrong, than it is to forgive a present day ideological belief system which continues to justify, or legitimize the past common sense 'wrongness'.

As does libertarian &/or free-market-fundamentalist belief systems:

The Libertarian Case for Slavery: A Note on Nozick

This is a historically important paper, by one “J. Philmore,” arguing along with Robert Nozick from a free-market libertarian viewpoint that the self-sale contract and the current employment or self-rental contract are on the same moral footing.

https://www.ellerman.org/the-liberta...ote-on-nozick/
Quote:
... Me too ---
Please clarify.

Old 01-06-2021, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Please clarify.
From your words in that post, "While I think history matters, & getting history right matters, I also think forgiveness matters."

Me too --- the later part being the greatest, because we will never be able to agree on the events as they happened. Further more I can not get on board with the continuing sage of a 160 year old war, when it is true, the only thing that changed is the government can no long collect taxes on people as property and the slavery culture still exists with 40 million in bondage in a multi-million dollar industry --- that Statue is in your face --- 40 million enslaved today are not.

Miss placed priorities to issues that are history and that can not be reversed should be the least of our worries. We should deal in the here and now. That's how I feel about it. That is how I have always felt about it. And will continue to feel about it. When Robert E Lee said, 'we are all Americans now', while those were honorable words meant to unite, I fear he miss spoke.

There Are 58,000 Slaves in the United States Right Now

The U.S. is, at least, one of the leaders in government response to slavery, according to the GSI, with a rating second only to the Netherlands. The GSI applauds initiatives like President Barack Obama’s Advisory Council on Human Trafficking and says they are setting the stage for continued declines in slavery.

“[S]lavery may never disappear completely, some people being as they are, but my aim is to see it become as rare as cannibalism,” Bales wrote.The GSI offers the following recommendations for the U.S. to curb slavery:
Improve the provision of appropriate housing for child trafficking victims.
Increase screening of at-risk persons for human trafficking.
Prosecute more cases of labor trafficking.
Obtain bi-partisan legislative support for the bills to address business supply chain transparency, foreign labor recruiting practices, as well as push for the child welfare system reform.

^^, that's the battle today, win that war.

//discussion.

Old 01-07-2021, 05:08 AM

Quote:
From your words in that post, "While I think history matters, & getting history right matters, I also think forgiveness matters."

Me too --- the later part being the greatest, because we will never be able to agree on the events as they happened. Further more I can not get on board with the continuing sage of a 160 year old war, when it is true, the only thing that changed is the government can no long collect taxes on people as property and the slavery culture still exists with 40 million in bondage in a multi-million dollar industry --- that Statue is in your face --- 40 million enslaved today are not.

Miss placed priorities to issues that are history and that can not be reversed should be the least of our worries. We should deal in the here and now. That's how I feel about it. That is how I have always felt about it. And will continue to feel about it. When Robert E Lee said, 'we are all Americans now', while those were honorable words meant to unite, I fear he miss spoke.

There Are 58,000 Slaves in the United States Right Now

The U.S. is, at least, one of the leaders in government response to slavery, according to the GSI, with a rating second only to the Netherlands. The GSI applauds initiatives like President Barack Obama’s Advisory Council on Human Trafficking and says they are setting the stage for continued declines in slavery.

“[S]lavery may never disappear completely, some people being as they are, but my aim is to see it become as rare as cannibalism,” Bales wrote.The GSI offers the following recommendations for the U.S. to curb slavery:
Improve the provision of appropriate housing for child trafficking victims.
Increase screening of at-risk persons for human trafficking.
Prosecute more cases of labor trafficking.
Obtain bi-partisan legislative support for the bills to address business supply chain transparency, foreign labor recruiting practices, as well as push for the child welfare system reform.

^^, that's the battle today, win that war.

//discussion.
I still don't really understand your thought process.

Are you saying to forgive the defenders of slavery during the American Civil War? Or forget about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies