Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2021, 11:31 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,752,482 times

Advertisements

"Confederate heroes"? That says everything I need to know.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:32 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I guess you don't understand his second one, "with malice towards none, with charity towards all..."
And yet, Lincoln would get assassinated, by a Confederate sympathizer.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:33 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLamb0518 View Post
"Confederate heroes"? That says everything I need to know.
An important question needs to be asked. Who are those Confederate generals considered heroes too? I don't consider them heroes. Not my heroes.

Old 07-13-2021, 12:11 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Lincoln might have not called the traitors. However, I think about Article 3, Section 3 in the Constitution. What the likes of Lee and other Confederate generals did falls under treason. Just because Lincoln didn't consider them traitors, just because Grant didn't consider then traitors, does not mean they weren't. Just because Lincoln and Grant were willing to let it slide, that doesn't mean I will. The leaders of then were afraid of a guerrilla war breaking out. The U.S. was trying to keep the peace.
It really depends on your POV. If your a sovereign nation, as the South believed it to be, then its not treason to defend that nation.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know the difference between a revolutionary and a traitor... (hint, not much!)

Old 07-13-2021, 12:17 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
Quote:
An important question needs to be asked. Who are those Confederate generals considered heroes too? I don't consider them heroes. Not my heroes.
Anytime you put someone on a pedestal you run the risk of being let down. If todays social climate has taught us anything its that hero worshipping is fraught with obstacles.

Regardless, who am I or you for that matter to dictate who some one else considers a hero???

Old 07-13-2021, 12:27 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
White people are generally born in developed countries.

We blacks are much more fortunate to have been born here, making slavery a necessary evil that no rational African American would ever erase.

Maybe you don’t like existing, but I do, so I’m not going to wish “slavery never happened.”
Whites ran the hell out of Europe by the millions...and they didn’t do it because they were leaving “developed countries.”

And in many cases, they ran to Africa, Asia and South America to escape the European hellhole. White Americans are NOT descendants of Europe’s winners. Europe’s winners didn’t leave Europe. The losers did.

Pick up a book.

Old 07-13-2021, 01:10 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Yikes, so the liberal extremists are coming after Mount Rushmore, Thomas Jefferson, and George Washington now. Wow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Again, confusing Mount Rushmore for Stone Mountain?

& conflating the founding of the United States of America with the founding of the Confederate States of America?

Do you actually believe that Robert E. Lee, Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson & President of the Confederacy Jefferson Davis were founders of the United States of America?

Old 07-13-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
And yet, Lincoln would get assassinated, by a Confederate sympathizer.
He was executed only days after the surrender at Appomattox Court House of Robert E. Lee of the Confederate States of America to Ulysses S. Grant of the United States of America.

For clarity: Robert E. Lee, Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson & President of the Confederacy Jefferson Davis were NOT founders of the United States of America.

Old 07-13-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I've pointed this out too. Sadly, some people refuse to listen. It doesn't matter what kind of original documents you or myself point to, some people are never going to listen. It doesn't go along with what they want to hear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
notice how the same people trying to get you to admit Dems invented racism, slavery, jim crow, etc. are also the same people DEFENDING the confederacy?

How can that be?
Agree it makes no sense; it is however unsurprising.

For me, it makes sense to make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler.

Was there an American Civil War?
Who was fighting?
What were they fighting over?
Could the War have been prevented?
What was learned?

Old 07-13-2021, 03:07 PM

24,634 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Whites ran the hell out of Europe by the millions...and they didn’t do it because they were leaving “developed countries.”

And in many cases, they ran to Africa, Asia and South America to escape the European hellhole. White Americans are NOT descendants of Europe’s winners. Europe’s winners didn’t leave Europe. The losers did.

Pick up a book.
Ah yes, whites are evil and racist. Blacks never did anything wrong in the world.

African chiefs sold our ancestors and blacks also owned our ancestors yet you still think white people are the source of all your problems and you’re entitled to reparations. You’re not.

Pick up a history lesson.
Quote:
Africans played a direct role in the slave trade, kidnapping adults and stealing children for the purpose of selling them, through intermediaries, to Europeans or their agents
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_slave_trade
Quote:
In 1830 there were 3,775 black (including, mixed race) slaveholders in the South who owned a total of 12,760 slaves
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slav..._United_States

And after all that insanity, here’s what we do to eachother everyday.
Quote:
CHICAGO -- Forty-two people have been shot, 10 fatally, in citywide gun violence since Friday night.
https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-shoo...kend/10878968/

Yes, tell us again how white people are the author of your problems and you deserve reparations.

Last edited by Rocko20; 07-13-2021 at 03:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies