Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2021, 03:09 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
You state:

This means, the form of slavery produced in the paternalistic, traditional society of the Slaver States was not evil, & was a "positive good for black folks" who were enslaved by it.

You state:

What precisely did they reject, based on the principles created in the paternalistic, traditional society of the Slaver States?
Anyone who claims that slavery was a good thing for Blacks obviously looks down on Blacks and see Black people as inherently inferior. Such persons see Blacks as inherently incapable of anything.

Old 01-14-2021, 03:34 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times
A while back of sought to end the protest against the confederate battle flag. After seeing this confederate battle flag flying as the insurrectionists attacked Capitol Hill I firmly believe it should be banned. I am now solidly in favor of removing any item on public display that is related to the confederacy.

Old 01-14-2021, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
A while back of sought to end the protest against the confederate battle flag. After seeing this confederate battle flag flying as the insurrectionists attacked Capitol Hill I firmly believe it should be banned. I am now solidly in favor of removing any item on public display that is related to the confederacy.
This is my view. A person has a right to fly a Confederate flag on their private property. However, it should never fly in public buildings. It should never fly from government buildings or in them. Confederate statues should never be in public squares or near courthouses. No public school should ever be named for a Confederate general.

I've always been against the Confederate flag. I've been against the Confederate flag as far back as age 13 or 14 (I'm 34 now). I grew up in Georgia and I've never seen the Confederate flag as anything other than a symbol of racism and white supremacy.

One thing I've wanted to people to ask themselves is this. Why was the Confederate flag a symbol of choice at the Capitol Hill insurrection? Why was the Confederate flag the main symbol of choice for people who opposed integration and wanted to see Jim Crow last forever?

Old 01-14-2021, 04:36 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
When the union crushed the south, everyone suffered for it.
Pretty sure there were a hole lot of former slaves who didn't mind all that much. Or do they not qualify as "everyone"?

Old 01-14-2021, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Pretty sure there were a hole lot of former slaves who didn't mind all that much. Or do they not qualify as "everyone"?
I think said person viewed Black slaves being freed as a bad thing. Anyone who tries to argue, even in a covert way, that slavery was good for Black people, is someone who has a reprehensible way of thinking.

The "South being crushed by the Union" hurt the slave owners. It didn't hurt those who were freed from slavery. I'm sure there were plenty of slaves who were happy to be free. Of course, you and me both understand thing. We understand that it's important to be free.

My view on the South being severely hurt by the Civil War goes like this: You reap what you sow. It is sad that it had to come to that. However, the South could have easily just said "no more slavery" and this could have been avoided. Slavery was a huge part of why the South wanted secession. The aristocracy of the South, the southern belles (of the antebellum age), the antebellum plantations, all of that was made possible by slavery. Most of my ancestors were slaves in the Deep South. Slavery was the economy engine of the South, and the slave owners weren't going to let it go. It was also part of the social order. Black slaves were expected to be faithful, obedient, and over all, content with being slaves. Of course, there were slave rebellions and slaves running away. This showed many did not want to be slaves.

The Civil War had a tragic effect on the South. At the same time, when a way of life is based on enslaving others, it's better for that way of life to go away.

Old 01-15-2021, 05:14 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Anyone who claims that slavery was a good thing for Blacks obviously looks down on Blacks and see Black people as inherently inferior. Such persons see Blacks as inherently incapable of anything.
He has eyes & ears to see & hear yet willfully refuses to do so, & as the Navajo proverb goes, "You cannot wake up someone who is only pretending to be asleep."

As for this thread:

Karen L. Cox: What Trump shares with the ‘Lost Cause’ of the Confederacy

It is hard to miss the parallels between now and then of rewriting history and campaigns of disinformation

https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/comme...ox-what-trump/

Old 01-15-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
He has eyes & ears to see & hear yet willfully refuses to do so, & as the Navajo proverb goes, "You cannot wake up someone who is only pretending to be asleep."

As for this thread:

Karen L. Cox: What Trump shares with the ‘Lost Cause’ of the Confederacy

It is hard to miss the parallels between now and then of rewriting history and campaigns of disinformation

https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/comme...ox-what-trump/
I could see where this is coming from. There are those who will remain loyal to the cause, even when it's failed. And there are those who know better, but refuse to admit it because it means doing better. Said persons aren't asleep, said persons just wish they were.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:38 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
One said person sees a group of people wanting to remove a 'we're all American now' little dude from a common place --- it is telling.
ps: the battle flag is a Christian flag --- that's telling too.

Old 01-15-2021, 10:49 AM

This is how I see it. Taking down Confederate statues is for the best. We should not have had those statues put up in the first place.

Old 01-15-2021, 10:52 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
One said person sees a group of people wanting to remove a 'we're all American now' little dude from a common place --- it is telling.
ps: the battle flag is a Christian flag --- that's telling too.
You really like that quote, yet you ignore those of his words that are very specifically related to Confederate memorials - i.e., he was against them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies