Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2021, 11:11 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Here is good question that more people need to ask themselves. Who celebrates Confederate Memorial Day, particularly within the southern states? Who actually goes out and actively celebrates it?
It's an official state holiday in South Carolina, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida & Tennessee.

Interesting timeline here:

Constitutional Amendments and Major Civil Rights Acts of Congress

https://history.house.gov/Exhibition...d-Legislation/

As for your question re: 'who actively celebrates?' Some folks actively celebrate it every day. Apparently some folks were actively celebrating 'South's Gonna Do It Again' a very short time at the Capital.

Old 01-16-2021, 12:50 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
It's an official state holiday in South Carolina, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida & Tennessee.

Interesting timeline here:

Constitutional Amendments and Major Civil Rights Acts of Congress

https://history.house.gov/Exhibition...d-Legislation/

As for your question re: 'who actively celebrates?' Some folks actively celebrate it every day. Apparently some folks were actively celebrating 'South's Gonna Do It Again' a very short time at the Capital.
It's sad that it's a state holiday in any state. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Having Confederate Day as a state holiday, that is not the kind of values that I have.

We both know the answer to the question I asked. We know that some people have the attitude of "the South will rise again". The South has been rising for quite some time. Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville, Huntsville, Northern Virginia, Durham,etc. Metros in the South that are prospering. However, this is likely not what some people mean by "the South will rise again".

When statues of Confederate generals grace public squares and courthouses, it sends a message about the values said community has. And those are not good values to have.

If we are to be whole as a country, reconciling would be a good place to start. To have true reconciliation, then it starts with doing away with divisive symbols such as Confederate statues. It means understanding that having a Confederate holiday is not a good idea. You can't have any real reconciliation, especially in terms of race relations, while celebrating Confederates.

Old 01-16-2021, 01:25 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
It's sad that it's a state holiday in any state. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Having Confederate Day as a state holiday, that is not the kind of values that I have.

We both know the answer to the question I asked. We know that some people have the attitude of "the South will rise again". The South has been rising for quite some time. Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville, Huntsville, Northern Virginia, Durham,etc. Metros in the South that are prospering. However, this is likely not what some people mean by "the South will rise again".

When statues of Confederate generals grace public squares and courthouses, it sends a message about the values said community has. And those are not good values to have.

If we are to be whole as a country, reconciling would be a good place to start. To have true reconciliation, then it starts with doing away with divisive symbols such as Confederate statues. It means understanding that having a Confederate holiday is not a good idea. You can't have any real reconciliation, especially in terms of race relations, while celebrating Confederates.
Agree with most or all here. This is the thing, 'South's Gonna Do It Again' is not necessarily just a 'Southern' or 'Confederate' or 'Geographic' ideology ~ it's more attitudinal so to speak.

Honestly, I don't have any brilliant ideas about healing, reconciling, rapprochement, &/or making us 'whole as a country' although it is my wholehearted desire to see it happen, even if not in my lifetime, in my child's, or grandchildrens' ... ... (lol how would I 'see it'? Who knows about such things?)

I would be totally on board with ideas that would produce a situation in which everyone feels that they’ve been made as whole again as it’s possible to be.

Old 01-16-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Agree with most or all here. This is the thing, 'South's Gonna Do It Again' is not necessarily just a 'Southern' or 'Confederate' or 'Geographic' ideology ~ it's more attitudinal so to speak.

Honestly, I don't have any brilliant ideas about healing, reconciling, rapprochement, &/or making us 'whole as a country' although it is my wholehearted desire to see it happen, even if not in my lifetime, in my child's, or grandchildrens' ... ... (lol how would I 'see it'? Who knows about such things?)

I would be totally on board with ideas that would produce a situation in which everyone feels that they’ve been made as whole again as it’s possible to be.
I'm starting to get what you mean. It is a cantankerous mentality. The kind of mentality one sees among the Confederate-flag flying types.

Reconciliation and healing will indeed be hard. Flying the Confederate flag and having Confederate statues up makes it harder. We might not have brilliant ideas, but there are certain things that have to be done. Having a Confederate statue in a place of public honor does not help at all. It can only do more bad.

Old 01-16-2021, 02:39 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Maybe when the 25,000 national guard are finished protecting the Capitol from 10 rednecks, they can go back to protecting federal buildings and statues from Antifa/BLM

Old 01-16-2021, 02:52 PM

Referring to those who want to take down statues to the likes of Confederates as "Taliban" tells me this: Said person either reveres Confederate generals.

Old 01-16-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You really like that quote, yet you ignore those of his words that are very specifically related to Confederate memorials - i.e., he was against them.
And that is the irony of it all. Even Robert E. Lee didn't want statues in his likeness. It is the individuals who adhere strongly to the Lost Cause mythology that want it the most. There is a reason many people took to the Lost Cause towards the late 19th century and held onto in through the 1960s, and then passing it on to where some people still adhere to it today. An important question is this: WHY one would want to adhere to the Lost Cause?

Old 01-16-2021, 03:27 PM

4,765 posts, read 3,733,181 times
What other country allows a failed insurrection to maintain their ideology through public statuary and flags of their revolution?

What happened to the right's so-called belief in local and state rights? These municipalities (like Charlottesville) want these racist symbols removed and suddenly local "rights" have no meaning.

If Democracy crashes and burns it will be due to far right extremism refusing to accept majority rule. And a lot of conservative moderates refusing to stand up for Democracy for fear of losing political relevance.

The biggest irony here? Don't expect an authoritarian or fascist government to honor either the first or the second amendment. The right to free speech or bear arms will be the first thing to go.

Old 01-16-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
What other country allows a failed insurrection to maintain their ideology through public statuary and flags of their revolution?

What happened to the right's so-called belief in local and state rights? These municipalities (like Charlottesville) want these racist symbols removed and suddenly local "rights" have no meaning.

If Democracy crashes and burns it will be due to far right extremism refusing to accept majority rule. And a lot of conservative moderates refusing to stand up for Democracy for fear of losing political relevance.

The biggest irony here? Don't expect an authoritarian or fascist government to honor either the first or the second amendment. The right to free speech or bear arms will be the first thing to go.
No other country would do that. When Hitler committed suicide, it took some time, but Germany disowned Hitler. No more paying adulation to the Nazis. No Nazi flags, except among Neo-Nazis, and Neo-Nazis are regarded as trash.

Robert E. Lee, and the Confederates generals, they got off easy. Normally, Lee would be executed/imprisoned and disgraced.

I've noticed that some people only respect states' rights when it's in their favor. The Confederates were only in favor of states' rights when it meant making sure the institution of slavery stayed intact.

As for authoritarianism, this is how I see it. Some people will put up with authoritarianism as long as said person is "their authoritarian" or said authoritarian is protecting them from a perceived threat.

Old 01-16-2021, 04:07 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Referring to those who want to take down statues to the likes of Confederates as "Taliban" tells me this: Said person either reveres Confederate generals.
Yeah, I dont get the rhetoric used by the OP. I mean wasn't the Taliban a religious government? The left isn't doing anything through the guise of religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies