Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 08:11 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,592,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
There is no mandatory maternity leave in the USA. Some companies offer six weeks, some offer 12, etc, but many offer zero. Some moms can take some time off unpaid, some cannot because they will lose their jobs.

'Murica!

My husband and I had saved up so I could take 10 weeks off when my first baby was born. Unfortunately, I ended up on bedrest for four weeks before having him, so that meant I could only take off 6 weeks after he was born. I went back part-time for a few weeks and then had my regular hours (34 hours per week) by the time he was 10 weeks old. I was able to be a SAHM (thanks to the help of children's state health insurance and also WIC) by the time I got pregnant with my daughter, so that was nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post
Why should taxpayers, business owners and corporations pay for your childbearing decisions? It's your right to have children but don't pass the costs of that decision to me.

I must add. Having children is the MOST selfish act. Nothing else even comes close. The purpose of having children is to pass on your genes at the expense of others.

Old 11-25-2020, 08:14 AM

36,588 posts, read 30,933,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post
Why should taxpayers, business owners and corporations pay for your childbearing decisions? It's your right to have children but don't pass the costs of that decision to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
This.
I don't think maternity leave has anything to do with tax payer dollars, so you are not paying for it.
But why do businesses offer parental leave? One to keep good employees. Its not always easy to replace educated, trained efficient employees.

And because the consensus is that a country needs people. It needs workers and it needs consumers and it needs taxpayers so a certain amount of reproduction is required. If a person, a person who works, pays taxes and keeps everything up and running and raises functional future workers and tax payers, can not work or keep a job if they have kids then they may decide to not reproduce. That leaves the upper crust whom have the least children and the welfare class who tend to establish generational welfare.

Old 11-25-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Dissent View Post
My wife only got 6 weeks unpaid,she didn't even take them all. Sad society we live in. It's something Ivanka wanted to change but never got it done unfortunately. It absolutely needs to be changed and this is one HUGE area I completely disagree with those on the right with and always have. Also another reason in a LONG list of many things I want my kids to enjoy a better quality of life in Europe.
Please explain to me why other people must be forced at gunpoint to pay for your childbearing decision?

Old 11-25-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I don't think maternity leave has anything to do with tax payer dollars, so you are not paying for it.
But why do businesses offer parental leave? One to keep good employees. Its not always easy to replace educated, trained efficient employees.

And because the consensus is that a country needs people. It needs workers and it needs consumers and it needs taxpayers so a certain amount of reproduction is required. If a person, a person who works, pays taxes and keeps everything up and running and raises functional future workers and tax payers, can not work or keep a job if they have kids then they may decide to not reproduce. That leaves the upper crust whom have the least children and the welfare class who tend to establish generational welfare.
What consensus?

Let's assume there was such a consensus. Why not persuade people by changing their minds?

Why should anybody be forced to pay for other people's childbearing?

Old 11-25-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I must add. Having children is the MOST selfish act. Nothing else even comes close. The purpose of having children is to pass on your genes at the expense of others.

LOL. Thats not why most people have kids. We like sex and we blow at birth control.

Old 11-25-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
LOL. Thats not why most people have kids. We like sex and we blow at birth control.
LOL.

Please explain to me why other people must be forced at gunpoint to pay for your sexual entertainment?

Old 11-25-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
What consensus?

Let's assume there was such a consensus. Why not persuade people by changing their minds?

Why should anybody be forced to pay for other people's childbearing?
Societies consensus. We encourage marriage, we encourage families. Cities and communities encourage business and growth, businesses encourage consumers. Without reproduction and future generations we have non of that. From time to time there will be a thread on the US declining birth rate and how it will destroy the economy. Governments in countries with failing populations highly encourage couples to have children even providing cash and other incentives.

Personally I feel we are overpopulated as a planet that decreasing our populations would be a good thing.

No one is forced to pay for other people's childbearing.
We are forced to pay taxes and those taxes are allocated for a wide variety of things, a small portion ~8% being safety net programs that would be used in part for other people's childbearing.

Old 11-25-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
LOL.

Please explain to me why other people must be forced at gunpoint to pay for your sexual entertainment?
Please explain to me how people are forced at gun point to pay for my sexual entertainment?

Old 11-25-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Please explain to me how people are forced at gun point to pay for my sexual entertainment?
If we pass a law requiring maternity leave from employers, isn't that forcing people at gunpoint to pay for your sexual entertainment?

I am not sure where the confusion is. That's what you want, isn't it?

Old 11-25-2020, 08:59 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,244,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
If I was in your shoes, I'd demand 16 weeks paid time off too...why should someone get time off because they decided to have kids...where you can't have them. As a gay man, I obviously will never have kids...but if my coworkers were given 16 weeks paid time off because they had them, then I would feel totally discriminated against.
you choose to work for that company.

Now, what would be really awesome is in the job interview or offer process, you get a copy of the company personnel/HR manual, and upon finding such an indignity, you insist they pay you 20% more since you won't be getting that benefit, nor of course will their health insurance need to cover a pregnancy.

But the awesomest thing of all is free will.

We all have the free will to work for someone else based upon pay, policies, and work environment. Similarly, individual businesses have leeway to determine their policies on things like paid/unpaid parental leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies