Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 08:29 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I agree nobody moves. It's always just an empty threat.
^^^ This. I remember when Reagan was running in 1980 (I was 10) my mother announced to my sister and I, more than once, that if Reagan won we were moving to Canada.

He won, we never heard another word about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 08:32 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
^^^ This. I remember when Reagan was running in 1980 (I was 10) my mother announced to my sister and I, more than once, that if Reagan won we were moving to Canada.

He won, we never heard another word about it.
Funny you should say that. In the summer of 1980 (I was a teenager), there was a meme going around that Reagan was a warmonger. One night I was sitting on the front porch of a friend's house with that friend, and we were saying that if Reagan got elected, we should move to Tahiti to avoid the inevitable Major War.

Of course we never moved, and fortunately the Major War never happened.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:18 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,920,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
During the 2000 election recount some of those protesting were republicans.

I actually knew somebody (on another forum) who threatened to move to Canada if Bush won before the 2004 election. Of course he never did.

But as I said, the main reason conservatives don't threaten to move somewhere else is, there's nowhere else for them to move to.
Or we don’t want to move, I’m pretty happy where I am.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:59 PM

6,752 posts, read 3,370,331 times
Well with this pandemic could anybody really move (to anther country) even if they wanted to? Within the U.S. sure, go wherever you want. We were supposed to go to Italy & France this year for our 30th anniversary but that got pushed back. Our friends in British Columbia usually winter down in Arizona, but they couldn't get across the border.

So it appears that for at least 2021 nobody is going anywhere unless you're in a caravan looking to come here illegally. I also don't think opening up the borders is a good idea until this pandemic is more under control. That means keeping travel restrictions into the U.S. which I'm not sure Biden is going to do.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:13 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,430,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I remember in 2016 many said if Trump got elected they would leave the country. I wonder how many actually did so?

Now we have Trump screaming fraud with all of his followers in total belief of it. Since no one will take your side, are you mad enough that it's time to find greener pastures in another country since you feel democracy isn't working in your own country?
If people believe the election was a fraud, how could they feel "democracy" isn't working in their favor? By believing it to be fraud, obviously they don't believe democracy was in action.

While I've heard some say they wish they could move to another country, not because they're "mad" about the election but rather from fear of what a Biden* administration will bring, I've heard no one saying they are going to do it. Don't think that because many of your fellow travelers are inclined to say such things that the rest of us do as well. Threatening to leave the country over an election is a staple of Democrats. And check this out; we won't go on a months long spree of rioting, arson, assault and murder either.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:19 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Well with this pandemic could anybody really move (to anther country) even if they wanted to?
No. They couldn't. But you have to excuse the libs. They think that every country has as crappy of border security and immigration laws as we do.

Actually, I would love to go to, say, southern Chile or Argentina to the Patagonia/Tierra del Fuego region. Or in the straights down by Punta Arenas, Chile. But they don't want Gringos unless they are quite rich (funny how that is important to other countries but not us--we take any old deadbeat). Especially now with the covid thing. And politically, not the best place to be... of course the USA isn't anymore either. So, no, I'll just have to stay here. If the libs don't like it, they get the middle finger.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:49 PM

11,505 posts, read 6,008,999 times
The World is like a ship, and the USA is like a lifeboat. A lot of souls desperately floating lost in the ocean find rescue by climbing into the USA lifeboat. I was lucky enough to be born into that lifeboat.

All my life, people have been shooting holes in the bottom of the lifeboat, and I have been trying to stop them from doing that. Once the lifeboat sinks, there is nowhere else to go. There is nothing left to do but drown in the ocean, due to the short-sighted stupidity of the people unwisely shooting holes in the bottom of the lifeboat.

I was REALLY hoping others would not destroy America, since there is really nowhere else to go. Everywhere else has less freedom, not more. Everywhere else is more corrupt, not less. Everywhere else is more oppressive, not less.

So I am going down with the ship. The USA is it. When it goes, I go. There is nowhere else to go. It is just such a shame that enemies within had to destroy America. I will say this - I no longer wonder how Rome fell. I have seen it first hand. Not just America, but ALL of Western Civilization is committing suicide at the hand of enemies within, bought and paid for by the New World Order.

At least our decline and fall is right on schedule. Democracies don't usually last much more than 200 years. We are at 247.

As Tyler stated below:

"A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship.

"The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence.

"From bondage to spiritual faith.

"From spiritual faith to great courage.

"From courage to liberty.

"From liberty to abundance.

"From abundance to selfishness.

"From selfishness to complacency.

"From complacency to apathy.

"From apathy to dependence.

"From dependence back into bondage.

This last election was our transition from Apathy to Dependence. Next stop, well... you know.

Old 12-16-2020, 11:40 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
If people believe the election was a fraud, how could they feel "democracy" isn't working in their favor? By believing it to be fraud, obviously they don't believe democracy was in action.

While I've heard some say they wish they could move to another country, not because they're "mad" about the election but rather from fear of what a Biden* administration will bring, I've heard no one saying they are going to do it. Don't think that because many of your fellow travelers are inclined to say such things that the rest of us do as well. Threatening to leave the country over an election is a staple of Democrats. And check this out; we won't go on a months long spree of rioting, arson, assault and murder either.
Uh, its not 'murder, and rioting'...when people are defending the security of the nation!!!

If you believe this, then you also likely disagree with how America gained her independence...after all, this involved people taking up arms, killing other people, disobedience, destruction of property, and so on! I guess you all consider this 'terrorism'...right?

Old 12-17-2020, 03:26 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Not me. I never planned to. Anyway, I wouldn't miss a front seat to watch the Biden...errr, I mean Harris... cluster f*** for anything! We're already seeing the coming attractions of what is sure to be the Democrats' s**t show.

Old 12-17-2020, 08:46 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
A lot of souls desperately floating lost in the ocean find rescue by climbing into the USA lifeboat. I was lucky enough to be born into that lifeboat.
The United States is the third-largest country in the world. In aggregate, we have the best land in the world, with the most natural resources. The United States stole a relatively-empty continent from the natives, and even after hundreds of years we have one of the lowest population densities in the world.

The United States has more arable land than any country in the world. And nearly twice as much as China. The United States government wants the population to grow, because a larger population means more economic growth. The United States is a superpower for only one reason, we have the largest economy in the world.

https://www.nationmaster.com/country...-land/Hectares

At some point the United States will become "full". But for the time being our corporations have pushed for immigration policies(or lack thereof) that allows for millions of immigrants to flood this country every year to provide comparatively-cheap labor.

This demand for labor is only possible when there is a shortage of labor. But at various times in our history, mostly because of economic recessions/depressions, the supply of labor far surpassed the demand for labor, and immigration was basically cut off. Sometimes for decades.

Quote:
Everywhere else has less freedom, not more. Everywhere else is more corrupt, not less. Everywhere else is more oppressive, not less.
America is not the least corrupt country. And why do countries restrict freedom anyway? Is America as free today as it was in the past? Why not?

Quote:
As Tyler stated
I like Alexander Fraser Tytler a lot, but he also said that democracy is basically fake.

Quote:
"The people flatter themselves that they have the sovereign power. These are, in fact, words without meaning. It is true they elected governors; but how are these elections brought about? In every instance of election by the mass of a people—through the influence of those governors themselves, and by means the most opposite to a free and disinterested choice, by the basest corruption and bribery. But those governors once selected, where is the boasted freedom of the people? They must submit to their rule and control, with the same abandonment of their natural liberty, the freedom of their will, and the command of their actions, as if they were under the rule of a monarch.

Nor were the superior classes in the actual enjoyment of a rational liberty and independence. They were perpetually divided into factions, which servilely ranked themselves under the banners of the contending demagogues; and these maintained their influence over their partisans by the most shameful corruption and bribery, of which the means were supplied alone by the plunder of the public money" - Alexander Fraser Tytler
He wasn't a fan of democracy, and he would hate your beloved United States.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 12-17-2020 at 08:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies