Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2021, 06:50 AM

17,889 posts, read 14,913,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
In parts of our nation that have high rates of COVID and low rates of vaccination, yes indeed hospitals are being overrun.

We Americans learned about the phenomena of overwhelmed hospitals in the earlier phases of this pandemic, and most of us now understand the danger to society and public health when hospital systems are stretched too thin. Our nation bore witness to the tragic consequences of this last year. It is real and it should not be denied. Public health officials educated us on how and why we should try to prevent this from recurring.

Currently it is happening again and to the great alarm of myriad hospital administration and staff. Officials in certain areas and even entire states are raising awareness of their plight. There are statewide surges of COVID-19 that are breaking records set last year for both cases and hospitalizations. In these areas, hospitals are scrambling and/or unable to meet the needs of the communities they serve.

It will be of little physical or mental comfort to patients--- folks gasping for air with low O2 sats or pending multi-system organ failure---- to hear that there is a hospital somewhere in the country that has a bed and properly trained staff available that can meet his or her specific COVID emergent needs. Unfortunately it just is not in their city or county or state that is overrun.

Hospital systems were stretched so thin ... that the USS Comfort was almost empty and the field hospitals that the government built - like McCormick Place in Chicago - only saw a handful of patients.

I think my favorite though was all the nurses and doctors who were being worked to the bone and near collapse, had enough time on their hands to practice and film coordinated dance routines for TikTok. Was your kid in one? Please post the link.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:51 AM

26,661 posts, read 13,833,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
But that is what you are doing. There is only a couple reasons a anti vaxx person would be opining here.

1. To convince themselves they are making the right decision.
2. Trying to persuade others not to get the vaccine.

And #2 can be done in a passive aggressive manner. Simply posting endless links from others who claim the vaccine is dangerous or so called data from dubious sources. Why do that at all unless you are either trying to convince yourself you are making the right decision or trying to persuade others not to get the vaccine? You are planting doubt and confusion in some peoples minds. That is not any different than just directly saying don't get the vaccine. Its actually more effective. At least the pro vaccine folks on here are more direct with their intentions.

All the stories I have read about people who opted out of getting vaccinated then ending up in the hospital sick with covid say they read stuff online that planted doubt in their head about getting vaccinated. They were trying to wait it out for a while and decide. The kind of thing the anti vaxx folks do on here. Someone gets confused and is not sure what to believe and they opt out of the vaccine. Sometimes with tragic results.
If you think I’m trying to convince people not to get the vaccine you are mistaken. I am discussing concerns and I am pushing back against people who don't think people should have a choice.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:56 AM

4,457 posts, read 5,347,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Simply posting endless links from others who claim the vaccine is dangerous or so called data from dubious sources.
Dubious sources - you mean like the FDA and now the NIH?

Informed consent disclosure to vaccine trial subjects of risk of COVID-19 vaccines worsening clinical disease

Results of the study: COVID-19 vaccines designed to elicit neutralising antibodies may sensitise vaccine recipients to more severe disease than if they were not vaccinated. Vaccines for SARS, MERS and RSV have never been approved, and the data generated in the development and testing of these vaccines suggest a serious mechanistic concern: that vaccines designed empirically using the traditional approach (consisting of the unmodified or minimally modified coronavirus viral spike to elicit neutralising antibodies), be they composed of protein, viral vector, DNA or RNA and irrespective of delivery method, may worsen COVID-19 disease via antibody-dependent enhancement (ADE). This risk is sufficiently obscured in clinical trial protocols and consent forms for ongoing COVID-19 vaccine trials that adequate patient comprehension of this risk is unlikely to occur, obviating truly informed consent by subjects in these trials.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:57 AM

8,437 posts, read 4,613,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
More than I would like to admit!? Whoah, wishing you very best of health. A mind-reader!

If the "vast majority of hospitals aren't currently being overwhelmed," it's really not a cool idea to sit on our hands until that happens.
Being proactive is a good idea when it comes to public health.

Except when it comes to Nazi style gas chambers, we should actually sit on our hands until we see those go up.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:17 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,806,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post

When confronted in public by COVID deniers and anti vaccine activists, my daughter has started to respond. Sometimes she will say something like this:

"Our medical facility is always looking for volunteers for our COVID patients. Could you please help us out. Since COVID is a hoax and masks and vaccines are useless, after signing a document taking full responsibility for your health and absolving us from all responsibilities for your health, please come to our facility unmasked and unvaccinated and help us with direct patient care."

She has yet to have anyone take her up on that offer. And, as always, she returns to the trenches with other dedicated men and women who tirelessly work to heal their sick and wounded patients and return them to society so they can pursue their lives, even if the mission of that life is to spread disinformation against her or them.
Why would she say that? Does her hospital allow un-masked and un-vaxxed volunteers into the Covid wards 'to help with direct patient care?'

Old 08-04-2021, 07:20 AM

2,335 posts, read 820,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
Why would she say that? Does her hospital allow un-masked and un-vaxxed volunteers into the Covid wards 'to help with direct patient care?'
Clearly she didn't, but people like to make up crap on the internet. The comment is absurd.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
The unvaccinated have certainly not been walking around with masks on and socially distancing in my area. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to the store in my area here in the deep red south and been the only one with a mask on. I can assure you all those folks weren't vaccinated.

Maybe, but who was told it was ok to take their masks off? Yup, the contagious, virus spreading vaccinated. I've never stopped wearing a mask.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
FDA expected to approve pfizer vaccine next month

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1422704813092085765

Hopefully they will remove the immunity from injury lawsuits as well.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:25 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,806,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
Clearly she didn't, but people like to make up crap on the internet. The comment is absurd.
I'm imagining the hospital staff saying---"Hey go grab some volunteers! We need help putting this breathing tube in."

Old 08-04-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Even with signage sometimes I would be the only person with one on. They didn't care and still don't. maybe in your area, yeah, but not in mine. Believe me, I know my demographic. They weren't even wearing a mask or social distancing when there were mandates and signs in stores. I've been watching it since March of 2020.

Don't worry then, they should all be dead very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.