Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2021, 08:46 AM

17,464 posts, read 14,706,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well more "talking heads" are now saying we need 80% - 90% vaccinated to reach that elusive "herd immunity".

My opinion.."liar, liar, pants on fire". No one can predict the future with this virus.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...-80/ar-AAMT9bD
The spread of the delta coronavirus variant has pushed the threshold for herd immunity to well over 80% and potentially approaching 90%, according to an Infectious Diseases Society of America briefing on Tuesday.
We're at 70% vaccinated now. CDC estimates that there were over 120 million infected (as of the end of May) - the number is most likely substantially higher now.

We are most likely at 80+% immunity now - taking into account natural infections + vaccine.

Oh wait. Vaccines don't make you immune. So I guess there's no chance of herd immunity anyway.

Old 08-04-2021, 08:54 AM

17,464 posts, read 14,706,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post

So is that what you would prefer? Pre-emptive shutting down of everything for months and months? Or short term deferments, in response to real events, for a few weeks? Because those are the only two choices. The pandemic doesn't give us solutions, only trade offs.
It's estimated that there will be 10,000 breast and colorectal cancer deaths due to delays in diagnosis and treatment because of the lockdowns.

Every action has a consequence.

Old 08-04-2021, 08:54 AM

2,335 posts, read 817,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Easy enough to find the press releases sent out by multiple Florida hospital groups saying what's happening. But I guess a primary source is 'fake news' for you?
Like I said, let me know when you can properly refute what I said. ICUs crowded, hospitals not so much.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:02 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,353,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Simply posting endless links from others who claim the vaccine is dangerous or so called data from dubious sources.
The below is a good example of disinformation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
Dubious sources - you mean like the FDA and now the NIH?

Informed consent disclosure to vaccine trial subjects of risk of COVID-19 vaccines worsening clinical disease

Results of the study: COVID-19 vaccines designed to elicit neutralising antibodies may sensitise vaccine recipients to more severe disease than if they were not vaccinated. Vaccines for SARS, MERS and RSV have never been approved, and the data generated in the development and testing of these vaccines suggest a serious mechanistic concern: that vaccines designed empirically using the traditional approach (consisting of the unmodified or minimally modified coronavirus viral spike to elicit neutralising antibodies), be they composed of protein, viral vector, DNA or RNA and irrespective of delivery method, may worsen COVID-19 disease via antibody-dependent enhancement (ADE). This risk is sufficiently obscured in clinical trial protocols and consent forms for ongoing COVID-19 vaccine trials that adequate patient comprehension of this risk is unlikely to occur, obviating truly informed consent by subjects in these trials.
Yes, "dubious sources." The FDA and NIH did not say that. The review is of other vaccines (for example, dengue fever and an early attempt at SARS vaccine using a different technology years ago) that was issued "open access" (pay for online availability) in October 2020. There's no connection to NIH except that the National Library of Medicine at NIH is the world's largest online compiler of biomedical literature. No link to the FDA except, I suppose, they would be the ones to issue the authors' proposed disclaimer.

The authors note: "Current data on COVID‐19 vaccines is limited, but does not so far reveal evidence of ADE of disease." Still they call for a disclaimer stating that there IS a risk: "The specific and significant COVID-19 risk of ADE should have been and should be prominently and independently disclosed to research subjects currently in vaccine trials, as well as those being recruited for the trials and future patients after vaccine approval, in order to meet the medical ethics standard of patient comprehension for informed consent.
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ijcp.13795

This is what a pharmaceutical drug researcher had to say on the topic in June 2020.

"Past efficacy and on to adverse effects, one thing that has been extensively talked about is antibody-dependent enhancement (ADE), because this has been seen in other vaccine candidates (such as for dengue, where the reasons don’t really apply here) but also in attempts to develop vaccines against the closely-related SARS coronavirus. To be honest, I am getting less and less worried about that as time goes on. The various mAb and vaccine teams have been alert for signs of ADE all along the way, and so far we appear to be in the clear. This doesn’t mean that we can forget about the issue, but it’s not at the top of the worry list, either."
https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipelin...might-go-wrong

Here's a recent analysis analysis of covid vaccines and ADE dated March 2021. Interesting enough, it turns out that avoiding ADE was yet one more reason to target the spike protein. Turns out ADE is more of a potential problem when using inactive whole-virus vaccines, the so-called traditional vaccines.
https://www.medpagetoday.com/special...clusives/91648

Since then there have been re-infections of those who have been vaccinated, with no still no sign of ADE. Is it too soon? This back in March in the MedPage article:

"Furthermore, ADE is an acute problem, and it can be very dramatic. If it was an issue with these vaccines, we would have spotted it by now, said Brian Lichty, PhD, an associate professor in pathology and molecular medicine at McMaster University in Toronto. "It'll kill you quickly. In all the places I'm aware of ADE happening, it is an acute, mostly cytokine-driven event," he told MedPage Today."
https://www.medpagetoday.com/special...clusives/91648

Except once again for the frail or elderly, post-vaccination illness appears to be quite mild - to a much greater extent than covid itself.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:03 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,618,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The part about the spike proteins traveling to the ovaries was the most concerning part for me. The menstrual irregularities post jab were brushed off it but makes sense as to why now that they know that the spike protein goes to the ovaries as elsewhere in the body.

Some scientists raised infertility concerns early on. They were brushed off but never investigated.
Wrong yet again.

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid...to-infertility

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...19-vaccine-lie

Old 08-04-2021, 09:06 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,778,953 times
First of all, your first link is from January. Your second is one is just one source making claims. Did you even listen to the video by chance? Dr. Byram Bridle’s comments were based on Pfizer’s own data.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:06 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,353,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Most people are intelligent enough to make up their own minds.
The squelching of free speech is abhorrent.
I don't think absorbing (or not) disinformation is matter of being intelligent or not. Rather it takes a lot of work to untangle various claims to at a minimum make possible 'fair evaluation,' with that more difficult yet with the often vague phrases in on-line videos. In speech, the key words that separate 'opinion' or 'belief' from outright 'falsehood' - even by those touting their credentials - are often said quickly without emphasis. Fast ears are needed !!!

Old 08-04-2021, 09:07 AM

8,420 posts, read 4,588,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I haven't given up any personal freedoms.

Like any intelligent person, I have voluntarily before govt asked me restricted my own activities to protect my health and more importantly the health of people I love.

Maybe other people are just not that smart.

Voluntarily restricting your normal activities is the definition of giving up personal freedoms.

The fact you did it before it was forced doesn't make any difference. At least for this argument.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:08 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,778,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
I don't think absorbing (or not) disinformation is matter of being intelligent or not. Rather it takes a lot of work to untangle various claims to at a minimum make possible 'fair evaluation,' with that more difficult yet with the often vague speech in on-line videos.
The mainstream media is responsible for a lot of disinformation that many believe.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:09 AM

43,240 posts, read 18,385,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
Like I said, let me know when you can properly refute what I said. ICUs crowded, hospitals not so much.
What....screeching, hyperbole and extreme possible scenarios isn't good enough ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.