Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2021, 04:39 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,317,413 times

Advertisements

based on non-scientific background, it seems to say that the 65+ crowd should get the vaccine, even with prior infection.

The actual rate of infection was 5.1% for the vaxxed and 8.7% previously-infected. Then they do some math mumbo jumbo adjustments (since there were just a total of 414 Covid) to call that 5x more likely

Old 10-29-2021, 04:42 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,335,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
It's a bogus study, flies in the face of what we're seeing and also data from Israel and many other places. Of course, I see CDC sponsored this study, so explains a lot.

Also such wonderful disclosures:

With such a whose of whose of big pharma shills, how you cannot trust such obviously cooked results?

Cooking the books too. COVID-like illness. LOL.
I see no problem with the disclosures. They state that the investigators had worked with pharma companies on other unrelated projects in the past. I doubt there is anyone in the field who has not. You can infer what you wish, but your inference is a feeble attempt to discredit the study when you have no facts that support your position that the results are "cooked".

Old 10-29-2021, 04:44 PM

17,484 posts, read 14,730,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I'm 49 and am at influenza twice in my lifetime. First time was in college where I was in a rough enough training block with the swim team that my immune system was probably somewhat suppressed and second time was 3-4 years back. My influenza experience has been that I sleep for like 40 out of 48 hours and then things are pretty much back to normal. Not pleasant but no big deal. Spousal Unit got the flu at the same time I got the second round and was out with it hard for 8-9 days.

The thing is that I realize that I'm results not typical with the flu compared to many and I don't try to tell others it's no big deal for everyone just because I have a pretty easy time with it.
Is there a point to this post?

Because it really has nothing to do with my post or the post I responded to.

Old 10-29-2021, 04:45 PM

17,845 posts, read 13,763,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
This study was funded by big pharma, look at their disclosures.
So this study isn't legit because it was funded by "Big pharma"....

Yet climate change denial studies funded by "Big oil" ARE legit.

And the CDC and the FDA are crooked...

Yet the "reporting" program that they co-run (VAERS) is absolute gospel.

Old 10-29-2021, 04:52 PM

15,948 posts, read 12,320,280 times
Sigh...putting out studies that fly in the face of real world observation and may be fabricated doesn't help their credibility....I hope this is not what they are doing....cherrypicking data. Put out truthful data or don't put out any at all.

Poster below me makes a good point...there are so many covid positive tests where the person hardly has symptoms also... In any case I'm vaccinated and I don't care. I only posted because I'm anti mandates.

Old 10-29-2021, 04:52 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,808,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
C'mon.

The vast majority of people get the flu during their lifetime.
I am 83, had a horrible Asian flu when I was 18, and no flu the rest of my life. When a feeling of flu would feel like it would come on, I hit my body with Oscillicoccium and it stopped it pronto. And I also keep my own immune system strong.

Old 10-29-2021, 04:53 PM

3,074 posts, read 1,308,472 times
I don’t think anyone will know the answer for several years. Many cases I’ve seen of people getting Covid two times in under a year it seems one of the two cases may have been a false positive. The two people I know who were infected twice all had about 10-12 months between the infections and both had been vaccinated. That tells you that the recent couple of variants were so different than strains in mid 2020 that even infection and vaccination wasn’t enough to prevent them getting it again. Those who are unvaccinated and were infected with delta might be immune for quite awhile because that particular variant was markedly different than most early strains were

Old 10-29-2021, 04:53 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,335,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
So this study isn't legit because it was funded by "Big pharma"....

Yet climate change denial studies funded by "Big oil" ARE legit.

And the CDC and the FDA are crooked...

Yet the "reporting" program that they co-run (VAERS) is absolute gospel.

This study was NOT funded by big pharma. That poster comment is highly misleading. A handful of the authors disclose that they had support from pharma companies on other, unrelated studies. These disclosures are to clear any questions of conflict of interest.

The funding statement:

Quote:
* Funded by CDC, the VISION Network includes Columbia University Irving Medical Center (New York), HealthPartners (Minnesota and Wisconsin), Intermountain Healthcare (Utah), Kaiser Permanente Northern California (California), Kaiser Permanente Northwest (Oregon and Washington), Regenstrief Institute (Indiana), and University of Colorado (Colorado).

Old 10-29-2021, 04:54 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,618,923 times
Of course, we knew this. People were getting it multiple times before the vaccine was even created.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 10-29-2021, 04:54 PM

25,946 posts, read 18,946,695 times
I stopped paying attention to "studies" when they became political--a group of "researchers" trying to "prove" a point and score for their side's agenda, rather than a group of researchers in search of the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.