Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2022, 10:41 AM

3,355 posts, read 1,455,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
Oh no doubt surgeries had to be delayed, but that certainly wasn't because of overcrowded hospitals. Far from it. As a matter of fact, tens of thousands of healthcare workers were actually being laid off at a time when supposedly we were in dire need of healthcare workers. That's actually quite a negative comment in regards to the protocols in play for Covid which clearly were not handled properly at the start of the pandemic. Not to mention, the figures you're using are actually flawed as the real concern were patients in the ICU, not simply hospitalized. There are only 3 beds for every 10,000 people in the ICUs (which equated to one in 10,000 for covid patients since ICUs are typically run at 65% capacity) From the very start this was a capacity issue as far as all these dashboards were concerned. Your typical inpatient hospitalizations were about 1 in 7 and those people weren't the ones dying. The death figures are what they are. You have less than 1 million people dying out of 330 million people over a 2 and 1/2 year period and that is indeed statistically insignificant.
I think you provide some interesting and important insight regarding ICU admissions, etc. And while I don’t completely follow your explanation, I’m still pretty confident in my overall characterization of the risk of hospitalization and dying if infected by Covid. It may, in fact, be somewhat less than I characterized as I acknowledge I was doing a back of the envelope calculation, but I don’t see the risks as being statistically insignificant. Forgetting about deaths, 1 in 20 people infected with Covid were hospitalized per the data I referenced earlier. Beyond their illness, that’s a lot of lost productivity, strains on the medical system, etc. I think we just have very different opinions of what constitutes an illness that stresses the public’s health. I appreciate your perspective.

Old 03-08-2022, 10:41 AM

45,701 posts, read 27,308,055 times
New mRNA Flu Vaccine Shows Early Efficacy Against Multiple Strains

Is this a gene therapy remedy for the flu?

Heck no!!

Old 03-08-2022, 10:42 AM

8,885 posts, read 4,605,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
{snip}

The death figures are what they are. You have less than 1 million people dying out of 330 million people over a 2 and 1/2 year period and that is indeed statistically insignificant.
1,000,000 deaths is never "statistically insignificant" if you are one of the million, or if it is a love one or friend.

Thank you for displaying your true colors. Yellow.

Last edited by Buckeye77; 03-08-2022 at 11:03 AM..

Old 03-08-2022, 10:50 AM

2,335 posts, read 817,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
I think you provide some interesting and important insight regarding ICU admissions, etc. And while I don’t completely follow your explanation, I’m still pretty confident in my overall characterization of the risk of hospitalization and dying if infected by Covid. It may, in fact, be somewhat less than I characterized as I acknowledge I was doing a back of the envelope calculation, but I don’t see the risks as being statistically insignificant. Forgetting about deaths, 1 in 20 people infected with Covid were hospitalized per the data I referenced earlier. Beyond their illness, that’s a lot of lost productivity, strains on the medical system, etc. I think we just have very different opinions of what constitutes an illness that stresses the public’s health. I appreciate your perspective.
But again, you're trying to pigeon hole the conversation by excluding the overall population and only focusing on hospitalizations and that is not an honest way to look at things. You responded to the comment I made that said "the vast majority of people have not died of this virus and have not needed to be hospitalized". That comment is 100% accurate. I did not exclude the general population like you did as you do indeed need to catch the virus to die of it so to omit that figure is disingenuous. Your claim that 7.5 million were hospitalized amounts to 2.3%, so 97.7% were not and that is the vast majority.

Old 03-08-2022, 10:57 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,761,654 times
Went to a NY grocery store this afternoon, more customers not wearing masks than ever before, even all the cashiers were maskless. I didn't stay in the store with so many maskless people. One guy was telling an older lady that she didn't need her mask any longer and she replied she had no choice. How do we know if the downturn in covid cases is from the mask wearing or the vaccine?

It might be best to stay out of crowded indoor places until it's proven the covid cases won't rise without the mask mandates. I read a new variant was found in NYC recently. Maybe the politicians don't care if the masses get covid any longer as long as the businesses make money before Election Day.

Old 03-08-2022, 11:03 AM
SyZ

151 posts, read 140,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Went to a NY grocery store this afternoon, more customers not wearing masks than ever before, even all the cashiers were maskless. I didn't stay in the store with so many maskless people. One guy was telling an older lady that she didn't need her mask any longer and she replied she had no choice. How do we know if the downturn in covid cases is from the mask wearing or the vaccine?

It might be best to stay out of crowded indoor places until it's proven the covid cases won't rise without the mask mandates. I read a new variant was found in NYC recently. Maybe the politicians don't care if the masses get covid any longer as long as the businesses make money before Election Day.
Have you considered not living your life in fear of dying?

Or, more to the point, why you have a fear of dying?

Old 03-08-2022, 11:05 AM

9,895 posts, read 7,781,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
JMO
Based on virus's life:
You will probably get Covid. If you haven't gotten Covid, then you are a rare person and should volunteer to discover why you are more special, so that a vaccine or a Covid treatment be developed.
That's ridiculous. Millions of us haven't been vaccinated and haven't had covid and continue to work with the public every day as we have throughout. Nothing rare about us.

But I do agree with you that we should be studied to find out how we have successfully repelled the virus despite numerous exposures. But no one cares about the healthy people.

Old 03-08-2022, 11:05 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,761,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyZ View Post
Have you considered not living your life in fear of dying?

Or, more to the point, why you have a fear of dying?
I don't want to die with a ventilator stuck down my throat, no thank you!

Old 03-08-2022, 11:06 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,534,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
1,000,000 deaths is never "statistically insignificant" if you are one of the million, or if it is a love one or friend.

Thank you for displaying your true colors. Yellow.
Statistics is not about your feelings, love, or friendship.

Old 03-08-2022, 11:07 AM
SyZ

151 posts, read 140,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
I don't want to die with a ventilator stuck down my throat, no thank you!
How do you want to die?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.