Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 10:30 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I don't think a violent criminal thinks much at all. They don't think about the possible consequences of their actions. I don't think the death penalty is meant to really be a deterrent, but simply to "put down" someone that is and would continue to be a plague to society, and a danger to other inmates and staff of a prison.

I often wonder if public hangings in the town square didn't better communicate the possibilities though to those who took a little more time to think about consequences. If I were in charge of the world, bad guys would "go" by the guillotine. That might scare a few straight after watching!
Violent criminals don't think much at all. Some don't care if they live or die. Some think they have nothing to live for. When someone thinks they have nothing to lose, there is no limit to how barbaric they can get. Normally, we think in terms of "well, said persons do those things because they think they can get away with it. If they understand that severe consequences are guaranteed, they might think twice". That kind of thinking doesn't work on a violent criminal. We're dealing with those who don't think, who don't care much about consequences, life sentence or death penalty.

There are some more perspectives to take on this. Many prisoners stay in prison so long they get used to it. Getting institutionalized. Many violent criminals who thrive in prison often can't do for themselves outside of prison, outside of being drug dealers or other illegal endeavors. Three meals and a bed, even if the food isn't that great, you can hustle and get commissary. You get a bed, even if the bed isn't that great. Prison conditions are not very good, and will age people rapidly. However, it affects many people differently.

Another perspective to consider is this. Suicide rates among prisoners are 4 times higher than suicide rates among the general population. Some people argue that prison conditions can make some prisoners commit suicide. Others argue that individuals with suicidal tendencies are more likely to commit violent crimes. I say it's a bit of both. Anyone who says that the death penalty is worse than life in prison don't really understand how prison can affect some people. Many prisoners commit suicide because they can't handle being in prison for years. And then consider the death penalty as a deterrent. The death penalty won't deter someone who has suicidal tendencies. If someone doesn't want to live, the death penalty will not scare said person.

Example, James Broadnax. He is sitting there in that interview, asking to be put to death. He said that if he got life in prison, he would kill someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u85s3twjRs&t=8s

The death penalty is good at putting down violent people who are too far gone to be in society. People who are dangerous enough to pose a threat to suicide. Public hangings and the guillotine will sense a swift message. However, I question whether or not it will set some people straight. Many murders take place alongside other crimes. Drug deals gone wrong, gang violence over drug turf, that is a big part. There are also many murders that take place during arguments. There are some people who are so far gone, that public hangings won't scare them. When you have individuals who expect to be dead before age 30, when you have some individuals who feel no guilt, no shame, and just don't care, how do you deal with that issue?

Yes, the death penalty is deserved for people who kill. However, how do you deter people who are already far gone in terms of mentality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2020, 10:32 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Why do you think violent criminals don't steal from the Mafia? Because they understand that the consequences will be awful and as immediate as possible. Occasionally violent criminals try to rip off drug cartels, but they are never successful for the same reason, which is why not many try.
Stealing from someone and killing someone involve a totally different end goal. People who kill, people who are in gangs where they expect to die young, aren't of the same mentality as thieves. And something else. The Mafia doesn't operate like street gangs. I've never seen the Mafia. I have seen gang graffiti.

Old 12-20-2020, 10:54 AM

18,401 posts, read 19,031,744 times
Quote:
I think the death penalty should be applied only when the evidence is indisputable. Eye witness testimony alone would not do it for me. But there is zero doubt it was James Olde who murdered Pinole Police Officer Bernie Swatrz. I was still living in Berkeley when it happened. It was huge local news. In the 117 years of Pinole's history, Officer Swartz was only the third officer killed (and the last and it was 40 years ago).

Olde should have died 20 years ago. The people of CA have affirmed the law (death penalty) numerous times. Time for politicians to carry out the laws as they are supposed to.
I wasn’t arguing the man didn’t deserve the sentence. Only there is a reason for the appeal process. Especially if you’re innocent. I’m a native Californian this case may have been effected by Chief Justice Rose Bird. In her tenure she was a staunch opponent of the death penalty and was instrumental in stopping the death penalty and many executions. She was voted out of office I recall the campaign against her was focused on this aspect of her tenure.

Old 12-20-2020, 11:06 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,808,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
There was a thread a little while ago about President Trump actually carrying out several executions of people on the Federal death row. Many were very upset by it. They had all committed their crimes and been sentenced long before President Trump became president, but it was (in the view of many) all President Trump's fault they were being executed. Seems many like to have a death penalty so long as you don't actually use it. This seems to be the situation in California.
Kinda weird he's been in office almost four years and at the very end of his term he and Barr are making a big push to execute, no? Why now?

Obama should have commuted their sentences while he was in office.

Old 12-20-2020, 11:39 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
What a slap in the face to the loved ones the killer murdered. What a broken system.
You need a Special Appeals Court (aka a Death Penalty Court).

You can parallel them with the federal circuit courts.

It has its own investigators with TS/SI-type background checks who have impeccable reputations and no conflicts of interest.

Each death penalty case is reviewed de novo beginning with the 9-1-1 call or police radio call. Once the investigation has been cleared, the court reviews the trial for errors. The court could issue three orders:

1) Affirmed. Barring an appeal to the State supreme court, the prisoner is executed immediately.
2) Temporary Stay: Until such time as inconsistencies by police or prosecutors are resolved.
3) Reverse and Remand: A new trial due to police, prosecutorial or judicial errors.

The court would also be the court of original jurisdiction for police, prosecutors and technicians handing out sentences of minimum mandatory 10-years to life for police, prosecutor or evidence misconduct.

Old 12-20-2020, 11:52 AM

8,894 posts, read 5,376,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Kinda weird he's been in office almost four years and at the very end of his term he and Barr are making a big push to execute, no? Why now?
Who cares? Not me.

Old 12-20-2020, 11:53 AM

8,894 posts, read 5,376,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post

Obama should have commuted their sentences while he was in office.
Obviously it wasn't a priority of his. He had 8 years to do it.

Old 12-20-2020, 01:01 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I wasn’t arguing the man didn’t deserve the sentence. Only there is a reason for the appeal process. Especially if you’re innocent. I’m a native Californian this case may have been effected by Chief Justice Rose Bird. In her tenure she was a staunch opponent of the death penalty and was instrumental in stopping the death penalty and many executions. She was voted out of office I recall the campaign against her was focused on this aspect of her tenure.
The California Supreme Court affirmed the death penalty for Olde in 1988 (I believe it was '88).

The murders were in 1980, conviction in 1983, SCOC in 1988. Olde had maybe a federal appeal left. Even at that he should have been executed no later than 1995. Which in my mind is ridiculous. I am all for due process and appeals, but it should not take 15 years to execute a guilty, stone cold killer. The fact that Olde was never executed is beyond ridiculous, it is disgusting and a pathetic mockery of justice.

Old 12-23-2020, 12:20 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,029,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I don't think a violent criminal thinks much at all. They don't think about the possible consequences of their actions. I don't think the death penalty is meant to really be a deterrent, but simply to "put down" someone that is and would continue to be a plague to society, and a danger to other inmates and staff of a prison.

I often wonder if public hangings in the town square didn't better communicate the possibilities though to those who took a little more time to think about consequences. If I were in charge of the world, bad guys would "go" by the guillotine. That might scare a few straight after watching!

Anti's aka democrats don't care about punishment they're just afraid that every piece of excrement who we execute they have one less voter.

I agree that public executions need to be brought back.

Old 12-23-2020, 12:31 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,029,579 times
Quote:
I think the death penalty should be applied only when the evidence is indisputable. Eye witness testimony alone would not do it for me. But there is zero doubt it was James Olde who murdered Pinole Police Officer Bernie Swatrz. I was still living in Berkeley when it happened. It was huge local news. In the 117 years of Pinole's history, Officer Swartz was only the third officer killed (and the last and it was 40 years ago).

Olde should have died 20 years ago. The people of CA have affirmed the law (death penalty) numerous times. Time for politicians to carry out the laws as they are supposed to.

and when they don't apply the law they need to let the convicted live in their own homes since they are such nice safe individuals. Give them a spot in their kids room until they get back on their feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies