Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2020, 12:04 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,612,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Some one else shopping for a payday ,,,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Nope they are modern day Freedom Riders who will force everyone, and every faith to accept their way of life. And even declare that what generations thought was a sin against their god is in fact not a sin against their god.
Modern day "freedom riders"? When they went venue shopping ... Did they take the bus; were they kicked off the bus; were they made to ride at the back of the bus? What are you trying to say really --- ?

And since you brought it up (the era) were they beat over the head with billy clubs by peace officers at a peaceful, nightclub gathering? Now that is a sin committed by the peace officers, worth a change with a payday.

It was a while before scotus stopped listening to the prayer lawsuits --- this two has a shelf life, once the absurdness gets recognized the paydays will stop. Complain about something that has merit, this is frivolous and personal, with a means to an end that has nothing to do with God and they know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2020, 03:25 PM

428 posts, read 225,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
What religion is that based on?
Again, for arguments sake, suppose they were members of the Asatru Folk Assembly.

Old 12-26-2020, 04:15 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,638,951 times
And the couple can always opt to go elsewhere to more friendlier environs. A win win. The couple have their happy day amongst friendly people and the religious folks get to enjoy another day free from strife and needless controversy as protected in the Constitution.

Old 12-26-2020, 04:21 PM

15,652 posts, read 10,421,569 times
a business, north face, turned down selling products to an oil company a few days ago because they don't like the oil and gas business. how is this discrimination different than the two lesbian women turned down by the wedding facility?

https://abc13.com/the-north-face-tur...nment/8715837/

most of north face products are made from petroleum based materials. the hypocrites.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 12-26-2020 at 04:48 PM..

Old 12-26-2020, 04:24 PM

130,643 posts, read 12,171,594 times
Why would anyone want to get married in a place where they are not treated as equals? I know I wouldn't

I also think business are dumb to turn down paying customers.

Old 12-26-2020, 04:37 PM

1,933 posts, read 561,771 times
Some businesses not only refuse service, but kick customers out over personal bias. One of many examples.
https://www.latimes.com/sns-dailymea...427-story.html

Old 12-26-2020, 04:48 PM

889 posts, read 273,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, that's a lot of questions. Let me start by saying I'm a devout Christian, the kind that loves others. The kind that says those who are without sin should cast the first stone.

I'm also the kind of Christian who knows Jesus Christ never said one word about gay people. That was old testament. The testament that said stuff about not working on the Sabbath, women not wearing the clothing of men, and not having leavened bread during Passover.

Additionally, I have a very close family member who is gay and I'm sick up to here with businesses discriminating against them and haters hating.

So. Yes. I think businesses who deal with the public should have to do business with every person who is pursuing a legal transaction, that they would happily provide for other customers, regardless of whether that business likes that customer personally or not.
but its a religious ceremony, not a cake

Old 12-26-2020, 05:07 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,612,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, that's a lot of questions. Let me start by saying I'm a devout Christian, the kind that loves others. The kind that says those who are without sin should cast the first stone.

I'm also the kind of Christian who knows Jesus Christ never said one word about gay people. That was old testament. The testament that said stuff about not working on the Sabbath, women not wearing the clothing of men, and not having leavened bread during Passover.

Additionally, I have a very close family member who is gay and I'm sick up to here with businesses discriminating against them and haters hating.

So. Yes. I think businesses who deal with the public should have to do business with every person who is pursuing a legal transaction, that they would happily provide for other customers, regardless of whether that business likes that customer personally or not.
Turn the other cheek is a two-way street. If the shoe was on the other foot, the gay couple would fight it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Lux Mea View Post
but its a religious ceremony, not a cake
It doesn't matter ---

If a gay couple opens a bakery and decides not to provide service to Christian folk, they should be allowed to do so, except where as they first showed discrimination in the form of law suits against the very thing they stand for --- or so they say.

If a gay couple decided to offer bridal ceremonies, but not to provide them to Christian folk, they should be allowed to do so, except where as they first showed discrimination in the form of law suits against the very thing they stand for --- or so they say.

It is a payday, plain and simple ---

The first sacrifice people usually make when they pursue something like this, is that of their very own freedom to go and do, but few recognize, they cut their own nose --- if they had themselves or others well being in mind, they'd simple go to the people that provide the services they want.

The Christian way is for God to handle it --- most everyone else the courts.

Old 12-26-2020, 05:26 PM

20,130 posts, read 16,197,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppyHeel View Post
Again, for arguments sake, suppose they were members of the Asatru Folk Assembly.
Aren’t they just a charming group...

So if that is who is the owner then hopefully whoever my friend was that had inadvertently booked with them would say “Up yours, I’ll never give a dime to you!”, tear up any contract, and skedaddle down the street to a different venue that aren’t lowlife bigots.

Listen, I’d way, way, way rather they say they have an issue with my skin, enough that they really don’t want to serve me, than them to be silently seething with resentment because they are forced to serve me food and/or drinks, therefore are entertaining the idea of spitting in, urinating in, or putting laxatives in something they serve me.

That aside, it has to be a service they don’t provide, not a person they refuse to serve. For equivalency in your scenario, it might be we don’t do Kwanza, MLK, or Juneteenth parties but we will happily rent a room to you, serve you meals, or allow you to host a birthday party. I do suppose they might be able to convince the courts that prohibition of mixed race marriages are a sincerely held belief of their religion if there are supportive, established texts, there is a formed group that has these tenants as established norms, and they can show a past pattern of sacrifices to preserve religious adherence. But, yeah, if it meets the definition of sincere belief, there is ease of redress, and it is a privately owned small business, so be it. And, if they do really feel that way, well, see the above paragraph.

I do think it needs to be clearly stated in any advertising that there are specific types of services they do not provide and whatever prohibitions they have ought to be clearly stated, with a spot for customer initialing, in all their contracts.

Old 12-27-2020, 06:44 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,826,742 times
It’s amusing that some Christians seem to believe “marriage” is a Christian concept. It’s not. It predates Christianity and all religions. Christians can believe they have a lock on the definition, meaning, intent, interpretation of what marriage is meant to be, but that’s not remotely true. They have the right to enforce what they believe about marriage for ceremonies in their churches, but not when it comes to anything that happens outside those walls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies