Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2020, 11:14 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,957,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post

I was not speaking of what the bible says, I was speaking of the beliefs that peoples have for which ever religion they believe in. Do you believe that the free exercise of religion, no matter what religion, should no longer be protected by the First Amendment?
When a business is offering itself up as a place of public accommodation, no, religion should not be entering into the transaction, and the business should not be allowed to discriminate on the basis of race, sex, or sexual orientation.

Google "Liberty Ridge Farm" for an example of a business being stupid enough to try to skirt NY's public accommodation laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 04:11 AM

8,246 posts, read 3,500,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
The majority of marriages are illegitimate in the US.
How so?

Old 12-28-2020, 06:29 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,817,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
How so?
You left out "as defined by the Christian religion" from my original post.

Most brides are not virgins these days.

Old 12-28-2020, 06:43 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,676,999 times
Interesting that folk who say they have a spiritual conviction about denying LGBT from preaching on the pulpit, believe they can openly discriminate in a place of business or public accommodation!

Old 12-28-2020, 08:34 AM

1,929 posts, read 559,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Read them all then pick it up from here --- the bold --- Before Christ --- After Christ.
Don't make me loose my religion
Sorry, I have no idea of the point you're trying to make. Why don't you just state your objection to anything I have said.

Old 12-28-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
When a business is offering itself up as a place of public accommodation, no, religion should not be entering into the transaction, and the business should not be allowed to discriminate on the basis of race, sex, or sexual orientation.
I have addressed this previously, won't bother with it again. Local or State laws do not usurp Constitutional law.
Quote:

Google "Liberty Ridge Farm" for an example of a business being stupid enough to try to skirt NY's public accommodation laws.
From a google link. "Currently, those lined up on both sides of the issue are awaiting a Supreme Court decision, which could come as early as June, on the case of a Denver-area baker who, due to his religious beliefs, refused to bake a cake for a same-sex marriage.

The Colorado Civil Rights Commission ruled that Jack Phillips, operator of the Masterpiece Cake Shop, was violating the rights of the two men who wanted a wedding cake.

Phillips went to civil court, arguing that the decision infringed on his First Amendment rights of free speech and religion.

The decision in the case, which was argued before the Supreme Court in 2017, should have a bearing on all these issues, said McGuire."

You do know how that turned out, right?

Old 12-28-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbly View Post
Indeed and im glad they did!!

Stupid Religion at it again......... I highly doubt God cares who someone likes!!!
Based on what exactly?
You don't usually marry someone you just like.

Old 12-28-2020, 09:39 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,684,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post

Hmm, I don't find it stupid at all. I find it an extremely rational way to deal with their dilemma of a law that violates their religious belief. That's not to say I agree with their beliefs, but I respect the way they are being open and honest about what they believe.

From their website:
"At Liberty Ridge Farm, our deeply held religious belief is that marriage is the union of one man and one woman, and the Farm is operated with the purpose of strengthening and promoting marriage. In furtherance of this purpose and to honor and promote our moral and religious beliefs, we donate a portion of our business proceeds to organizations that promote strong marriages such as the Family Research Council,”

Last edited by kayanne; 12-28-2020 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: Added quote

Old 12-28-2020, 09:42 AM

20,150 posts, read 9,036,439 times
why do Dems have such a problem with people who have Christian convictions?

Old 12-28-2020, 09:43 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,099,534 times
Quote:
Well, if they are truly practicing based on their interpretation of Christian beliefs in which you cannot serve those seeking an illegitimate marriage, all the power to them. But I can't imagine they get enough business to survive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
The Bible is clear, homosexuality is a sin.
Quote:
I agree. This would be like marrying a couple that has had acted on temptation (be it sex, a kiss, or whatever) prior to marriage, or a women who is not a virgin, or someone who is divorced. It's okay to deny sinners based on your beliefs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
ABSOLUTELY I DO. I think every religion should be allowed to gather, and practice their beliefs, if their practices are legal. Nothing illegal, like the sacrificing of children etc.

But once you own a business, that's open to the pubic, you're open to the public. You can't decide who to serve and who not to serve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
How so?
Quote:
You left out "as defined by the Christian religion" from my original post.

Most brides are not virgins these days.
Yep, if this business is denying service due to the illegitimacy of a gay marriage, they are truly hypocrites.

But there is no law against hypocrisy.

By the way, Jesus hated hypocrites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies