Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2020, 06:28 PM

2,953 posts, read 994,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Sorry you refuse to be educated on your history. But, it's real, and as this is an international forum, not the USA forum, you may want to learn. Funny thing is, you have a drive and passion to keep responding to my posts. Thank you.
Just a lousy Canadian? Seriously? That's so hack ... A lecturing pontificating Canadian who thinks he has some unique wisdom that Americans need to hear. There's nothing like low national self esteem to make someone scour the internet for a successful neighbor to badger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2020, 06:30 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,512,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Just a lousy Canadian? Seriously? That's so hack ... A lecturing pontificating Canadian who thinks he has some unique wisdom that Americans need to hear. There's nothing like low national self esteem to make someone scour the internet for a successful neighbor to badger.
Haha. Someone hand normstad a Molson to put the fire out.

Old 12-30-2020, 06:43 PM

62,997 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Internet and technology have brpught more people together than race or color.

Please dont get me erong, can your son live withyou oncethey are adults or you with them when you are old? Can we not look onwRd instead of blaming the outside world?

I always respect ypur age and pov.

Lets say that there was influx since 90s . What prevented you in those past 20 or so years from becoming great?
HUH?

Old 12-30-2020, 06:58 PM

16,097 posts, read 10,766,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
What should one do?

A] those that are aware of it, recognize it, and don't try and deflect, defend or ignore it

B] teach the facts in elementary, junior and high schools.

C] right those wrongs that can be righted, including land

D] lobby State and Federal governments to acknowledge and address the situation
Go out tomorrow and find a square foot of land that has not been fought over, usurped, pillaged, or expropriated. Show me some group that has not been dispossessed or slaughtered at some point of their history. Start with Crimea -- a fairly recent example. We will be here eagerly waiting your return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I think A and B are great, but C and D? How far back do you go to right those wrongs?

I get what you are saying, and any living person who has lived through such a tragedy should surely be compensated, but why their ancestors?

I have a claim against the Roman Empire, Ancient Egypt, Spain, etc. I mean, where does it stop? The neanderthals hit my ancestor over the head with a club and took all of his stuff. Do I have a claim against them?

And who chooses that arbitrary year, where compensation stops?
Agree -- Raging and railing against the course of history is a fool's errand. The complaints will never end. Sadly, some groups tend to be the poster children for abuse and attack -- historical whipping boys that catch hell repeatedly -- all we can do is recognize it and stop doing that now and in the future.

In just one example closer to home than Crimea: the US took over the area of Southwestern states and California from Mexico and paid them $15 million after occupying it during the war in 1848. Mexico inherited the land from Spain when it gained independence in 1821. Spain took it from the Indians beginning around 1600. The Indians in New Mexico rose up and expelled the Spanish in 1680. The Spanish returned in 1692 and took the land back from the Indians. Before all of that the Navajo/Dine and Apaches (Athabaskan people) showed up from the north around 1400 and took over various parts of the land from remnants of the Ancestral Pueblos and Utes and whoever else was there before them. The proto-Aztecs were in that region sometime even before that when they went south and subjugated most of central Mexico. So who should have rightfully been paid the $15 million dollars?

Old 12-30-2020, 07:04 PM

62,997 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Go out tomorrow and find a square foot of land that has not been fought over, usurped, pillaged, or expropriated. Show me some group that has not been dispossessed or slaughtered at some point of their history. Start with Crimea -- a fairly recent example. We will be here eagerly waiting your return.

Agree -- Raging and railing against the course of history is a fool's errand. The complaints will never end. Sadly, some groups tend to be the poster children for abuse and attack -- historical whipping boys that catch hell repeatedly -- all we can do is recognize it and stop doing that now and in the future.

In just one example closer to home than Crimea: the US took over the area of Southwestern states and California from Mexico and paid them $15 million after occupying it during the war in 1848. Mexico inherited the land from Spain when it gained independence in 1821. Spain took it from the Indians beginning around 1600. The Indians in New Mexico rose up and expelled the Spanish in 1680. The Spanish returned in 1692 and took the land back from the Indians. Before all of that the Navajo/Dine and Apaches (Athabaskan people) showed up from the north around 1400 and took over various parts of the land from remnants of the Ancestral Pueblos and Utes and whoever else was there before them. The proto-Aztecs were in that region sometime even before that when they went south and subjugated most of central Mexico. So who should have rightfully been paid the $15 million dollars?
I rarely agree with you but this post is spot on!

Old 12-30-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:

In just one example closer to home than Crimea: the US took over the area of Southwestern states and California from Mexico and paid them $15 million after occupying it during the war in 1848.
Like the post but one correction. The US did not take Texas from Mexico. Texicans (Mexican citizens) won it from Mexico in a war of independence in 1836. It was a sovereign country until 1845 when it voluntarily joined the US.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:14 PM

121 posts, read 81,956 times
Quote:

This right here. Not sure what is wrong with the Canadian in this thread. I get it, genocide is terrible... But what happened 200 years ago is not on me at all. And like you say, people have been taking over each others land for thousands of years.

I also dislike those memes with a Native American on it saying "no one is illegal on stolen land" or some variation of this phrase. I always think, so I guess this meme applies to every nation on this planet then lol. I guess I can visit any country at will and stay for as long as I like without consequence /s. I can't be illegal because some time in history, that land was stolen from another group of people against their will lol.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:22 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,451,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I’ve traveled the world and only in the US do I see so much hate between political parties and even between individual states and people of different ethnicities. Why so? Why do us Americans put so much energy into foaming at the mouth hate?

I believe it may partially be due to US citizen’s mass infatuation with social media and news networks that are more opinion pieces looking for high ratings (aka money) than getting out facts and actual news. This all divides us even more.

Let’s try to have a civil conversation here. No need to rant about the left or right. No need for name calling.

Why is there so much hate in the USA? What is causing it?
Because it is profitable and the people are gullible

Old 12-30-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjyum View Post
This right here. Not sure what is wrong with the Canadian in this thread. I get it, genocide is terrible... But what happened 200 years ago is not on me at all. And like you say, people have been taking over each others land for thousands of years.

I also dislike those memes with a Native American on it saying "no one is illegal on stolen land" or some variation of this phrase. I always think, so I guess this meme applies to every nation on this planet then lol. I guess I can visit any country at will and stay for as long as I like without consequence /s. I can't be illegal because some time in history, that land was stolen from another group of people against their will lol.
Yeah the whole self-flagellation tournament to see who can confess their guilt the loudest is really nauseating. The ragtag bands who first crossed the Bering Strait 40,000 yrs ago might deserve some sort of rightful ownership title but if you're sufficiently filled with zealous self-hatred I guess you could weep for the wooly mammoths they killed off too. Hey why stop at original human ownership of territory? How about the non homo sapiens like Neanderthals and Denisovans that our butchering ancestors drove into extinction? I feel motivated to tear down every statue of every human being. G-D human beings!

Old 12-30-2020, 07:27 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,703,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjyum View Post

The logical flaw in leftist guilt philosophy for all to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies