Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2020, 10:19 AM

48,716 posts, read 35,250,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Did you all stay in your homes for two weeks and not go to a grocery store? .
Yes. Since the cases exploded this fall we go once a month. We have more than enough space for food. Could probably hold out for months, and still have good food coming from the kitchen.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 11:20 AM

37,362 posts, read 41,629,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
CNN. Well, that figures. Pathological liars with some weird agenda.

Masks and fines in 1918? No. Re-written history (CNN-style?). Except for military bases that was NOT the case. My parents lived through it and never mentioned that. They did close the schools for a spell (actually a couple times). But in those days polio epidemics aroused much more preventative behaviour than the flu did.

The resort city I spend my winters in is locked and bolted for all intents and purposes. The Canadians stayed home. This place will take many years to recover from this.

But let's get specific. Handing someone a menu and forcing them to order food in a BAR? That's lockdown. (stupid and pointless; virtue signaling? - but lockdown?). You do not go to a bar to eat. You go to a bar to drink. Period.
CNN did not make up the information on the 1918 influenza.

In 1918 the polio virus had only been known for about ten years.

Requiring bars to also sell food is not a "lockdown". Being unable to leave your home at all is a lockdown. You never heard the term "bar food"?

Old 12-29-2020, 11:20 AM

42,080 posts, read 75,612,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I am NOT a "nutter", and do follow for years those who are not sheep and don't follow the Fauci crowds...
Meaning anyone who doesn't agree with your agenda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OH asking for too much, the major population is glued to the boobtube when not working..
Speak for yourself.

Quote:
In 1918, anything in the way of "lock down" was done VOLUNTARILY.
Incorrect.

https://history.com/news/spanish-flu...esponse-cities

Quote:
When a flu outbreak at a nearby military barracks first spread into the St. Louis civilian population, Starkloff wasted no time closing the schools, shuttering movie theaters and pool halls, and banning all public gatherings. There was pushback from business owners, but Starkloff and the mayor held their ground. When infections swelled as expected, thousands of sick residents were treated at home by a network of volunteer nurses.
There is plenty more information about mask mandates and fines, business closures, etc. Google is your friend.

Quote:
Masks and fines in 1918? No. Re-written history (CNN-style?). Except for military bases that was NOT the case.
Being wrong twice doesn't make your statements factual.

Quote:
But let's get specific. Handing someone a menu and forcing them to order food in a BAR? That's lockdown.
Except that the bar isn't locked, and if you're in it, you're not, either. D'oh!

Quote:
First off, not everybody has an old worn out spouse to sit home with.
What an illogical comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
Either way, I'm soon going to embark on a series of long road trips in search of Magic No-mask Land. I know it's out there somewhere - I just gotta find it. A place where the only place masks will be found is in the trash bin, a place where people mingle with careless abandon, a place where all the hugs are free.

I know it's out there somewhere - and I WILL find it, or die trying.
And infect dozens of people along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I am not impressed by comparisons with 1918... a time when women couldn't vote, when segregation was the rule of much of the land, when people of German extraction were turned into enemies, when public life was overtly Christian (and specifically Protestant).
Nice non sequitur. Voting, religion, and segregation have nothing to do with pandemics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Actually - if we all just wore the damn mask, we wouldn't be in this mess. The problem was we've gone 9 months of people saying it is a hoax and they refuse to wear it. Or they continue to neglect social distancing guidelines.
Absolutely.

Old 12-29-2020, 02:38 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,231,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
The quote about quarantines came from influenzaarchive.org, not CNN, and it's from a historical document, so your talk of CNN's lies is meaningless. The fact that your parents never mentioned quarantines to you doesn't mean they didn't happen. And suzy_q2010's point that there were no true lockdowns here in America over covid, unlike during the Spanish flu pandemic, totally flew past you.

It's a CNN article. My comment stands.

Old 12-29-2020, 02:42 PM

34,168 posts, read 47,658,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Lock down fatigue?

Much like with poverty, Americans honestly dont know much about hardship.
My heart does go out to people who live alone. That, I can empathize with.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-30-2020, 08:33 AM

5,936 posts, read 4,724,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Did you all stay in your homes for two weeks and not go to a grocery store? Doubt it. People can pick up the virus anywhere. It’s time to live normal lives again, wearing a mask in public for awhile longer maybe. Enough of this. It’s got to stop.
And you can get into a car accident anywhere. That doesn't mean we don't wear seatbelts, blow red lights and not adhere to driving guidelines.

It means, don't do stupid things. Don't go to a party where no one else is wearing masks and stand right in each others' faces. It means wearing a mask and social distancing. Of course I went to the grocery store. But it means that if, for example, I had a meeting at work - I'd dial in to the meeting or provide a presentation remotely instead of in-person in a small room.

It is mostly common sense.

Attitudes like yours are why America has 24% of all coronavirus cases with only 4% of the global population.
Attitudes like yours are why America has 19% of all coronavirus deaths with only 4% of the global population.
Attitudes like yours are why America has 35% of new coronavirus cases globally.
Attitudes like yours are why America is responsible for 25% of deaths from coronavirus globally in the last week.

The situation is getting worse here, not better. But yeah, let's go ahead and not mitigate it at all. Wear the damn mask already and follow social distancing guidelines. That's too much for you to give our country though.

Old 12-30-2020, 08:40 AM

26,659 posts, read 13,859,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
And you can get into a car accident anywhere. That doesn't mean we don't wear seatbelts, blow red lights and not adhere to driving guidelines.

It means, don't do stupid things. Don't go to a party where no one else is wearing masks and stand right in each others' faces. It means wearing a mask and social distancing. Of course I went to the grocery store. But it means that if, for example, I had a meeting at work - I'd dial in to the meeting or provide a presentation remotely instead of in-person in a small room.

It is mostly common sense.

Attitudes like yours are why America has 24% of all coronavirus cases with only 4% of the global population.
Attitudes like yours are why America has 19% of all coronavirus deaths with only 4% of the global population.
Attitudes like yours are why America has 35% of new coronavirus cases globally.
Attitudes like yours are why America is responsible for 25% of deaths from coronavirus globally in the last week.

The situation is getting worse here, not better. But yeah, let's go ahead and not mitigate it at all. Wear the damn mask already and follow social distancing guidelines. That's too much for you to give our country though.
Many people can’t work from home. The option to dial in for a meeting or deliver a presentation remotely doesn’t exist for a ton of people. People need to work in order to pay for food and shelter. That labor also contributes to our tax base which pays for schools, roads, police, fire protection, etc.

I’ll wear a mask but do not support the restrictions and shutdowns of businesses, schools, etc.

Old 12-30-2020, 10:18 AM

10,796 posts, read 3,629,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Many people can’t work from home. The option to dial in for a meeting or deliver a presentation remotely doesn’t exist for a ton of people. People need to work in order to pay for food and shelter. That labor also contributes to our tax base which pays for schools, roads, police, fire protection, etc.

I’ll wear a mask but do not support the restrictions and shutdowns of businesses, schools, etc.
Your correct. My son is one of those, as he is a senior technician for a major national organization dealing with tier 1 clients.

His company allows him to determine if he feels the place he enters has the proper protocols in place, including masking and social distancing. He advises the client ahead time of them having to require those protocols, and even though he may have traveled hundreds of miles, can and will refuse service until they are in place. He has refused service to national security organizations that did not comply. His company backs him up completely.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:52 AM

12,021 posts, read 11,657,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
CA cases are up 1.6% from the day prior. https://covid19.ca.gov/state-dashboard/

CA’s restrictions have been tighter then most states throughout the pandemic but they clamped down even harder mid to late November and even more in early December when they banned outdoor dining among other things.

How long should we wait to see the results of the restrictions put in place in late November? A month is not long enough?
They were down five days in a row and quite substantially. They said to expect a reduction in 1-2 weeks which will start the trend. That's exactly what was seen in the spring with lockdowns.

Most states aren't doing much and their cases have been exploding in the fall.

It's pretty sad that 1 day of a very small change helps you cling to a thesis. It shows you're just married to an idea and don't care. Why bother discussing anything?

The severity of the restrictions varies according to the amount of slack in the local hospital systems. It's to be expected that the crisis will hit the most populated and dense areas and restrictions in those areas will be felt in areas outside the lockdowns. I don't think it's up to people outside these cities or states to tell them how to manage their healthcare system. They're working on first-hand information.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:55 AM

38,926 posts, read 24,045,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well, the world has certainly fallen apart. It's not like you can drink at home or anything.

One must have witnesses to observe our drunkeness, or it didn't happen.
The only thing I can give a bar is social aspects. I dont like it unless I'm with work friends or something. Plus they can get expensive. The only beers on tap I'm drink in most bars are PBR, Miller Light and Michelob Amber Bach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies