Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 07:25 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Nope, working from home, went to a funeral for their family (not covid related). Wearing masks.

My question had nothing to do with your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 07:28 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Here’s a direct link to the study for anyone interested in the scientific evidence.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-19802-w

I would hope people would be open to new scientific evidence.

"Nature Communications" is an open access journal accessible only online. "Open Access" means any manuscript will be published for a fee. Any "research" article published on "Nature Communications," was purchased by the authors/researchers.

Reputable peer review research journals do not charge a fee for publication but rather the research manuscript is subject to intense review by a panel of researchers expert in the subject manner of the manuscript.

In other words, when a fee gets a manuscript published rather than stringent peer review, that research is usually junk.

Old 12-28-2020, 07:33 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
That just doesnt stand up to reality, I have not seen a symptomatic person in 8 months, I have seriously not seen a person sneeze or cough in public in that long.

Old 12-28-2020, 09:01 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
"Nature Communications" is an open access journal accessible only online. "Open Access" means any manuscript will be published for a fee. Any "research" article published on "Nature Communications," was purchased by the authors/researchers.

Reputable peer review research journals do not charge a fee for publication but rather the research manuscript is subject to intense review by a panel of researchers expert in the subject manner of the manuscript.

In other words, when a fee gets a manuscript published rather than stringent peer review, that research is usually junk.

That doesn’t seem accurate a all based on what I’ve looked up. Do you have a source?

From my understanding the fee is so that people have open access to the science and don’t have studies hidden behind paywalls.

Old 12-28-2020, 09:08 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
My question had nothing to do with your family.
ironically I read your post wrong. Even more ironically you read mine wrong.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:41 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,877,686 times
Lots of poor information in this post - maybe too late to stop this freight train, but please try to read and understand this.

You are contagious before you have symptoms. This does not mean you are asymptomatic. It means you are pre-symptomatic. The terms are not synonymous. The Chinese report is about asymptomatic cases. You wear a mask because of pre-symptomatic cases (mainly). We already knew true asymptomatic transmission is rare, because we already know that true asymptomatic CASES are rare - and this report proves that, too.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/cor...247318654.html

The Chinese report - intriguing - of 10 million people - only 300 were truly asymptomatic. It changes nothing.

It is unfortunate that authors, doctors, scientists, and forum posters don't use more care when tossing these words about.

Anyway - all of you should already know this - but I can't blame you for being misled. I see bad media info all day long.

If you insist on the Chinese report being 100% conclusive, here's a CDC report showing the opposite (i.e., asymptomatic transmission does indeed happen):

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/11/20-3353_article

Old 12-29-2020, 10:08 AM

7,147 posts, read 4,740,951 times
Bottom line is: Enough!! Get the country opened fully and stop destroying people’s lives. It’s time to “live free or die!”

Old 12-29-2020, 10:13 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Governors used CDC lies to justify lockdowns. Now we see that they were totally unnecessary. The evil lockdowns implemented all over our country by power-hungry governors will cause suffering for many years.
]
It was all because of "power-hungry" governors? So WHY do you think these evil governors wanted to shut down their states? What benefit or pleasure would a governor get from forcing businesses, schools and churches to close?

Old 12-29-2020, 10:18 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,098,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Lots of poor information in this post - maybe too late to stop this freight train, but please try to read and understand this.

You are contagious before you have symptoms. This does not mean you are asymptomatic. It means you are pre-symptomatic. The terms are not synonymous. The Chinese report is about asymptomatic cases. You wear a mask because of pre-symptomatic cases (mainly). We already knew true asymptomatic transmission is rare, because we already know that true asymptomatic CASES are rare - and this report proves that, too.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/cor...247318654.html

The Chinese report - intriguing - of 10 million people - only 300 were truly asymptomatic. It changes nothing.

It is unfortunate that authors, doctors, scientists, and forum posters don't use more care when tossing these words about.

Anyway - all of you should already know this - but I can't blame you for being misled. I see bad media info all day long.

If you insist on the Chinese report being 100% conclusive, here's a CDC report showing the opposite (i.e., asymptomatic transmission does indeed happen):

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/11/20-3353_article

Lockdown forever!

Old 12-29-2020, 10:24 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

Not true. Open Access journals can still be peer-reviewed. I doubt that Nature, the most prestigious publication in the world, would publish anything that was not peer-reviewed, unless described as opinion. I definitely would not say that open access articles are usually "junk".

In order to read a peer-reviewed article you usually need to have a subscription. Open Access was created so that the general public can read it without a subscription or purchasing an article, by shifting the cost from the reader to the author. You make it sound like they will publish anything you write, as long as you pay the fee. That's not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies