Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 11:41 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,356,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Ha. I'm not that familiar with Minecraft either. But maybe that is where all this stuff is coming from. A generation raised on Minecraft...
Evidently, "Illagers" are mobs that attack the "Villagers''" villages, then there are the "Pillagers" who...pillage? What does that sound like?

Having trouble keeping straight what my grandson's telling me, but I'm seeing some similarities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2021, 11:41 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,150,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I don't see where anyone's lives will change. Monstrous? Evil? Nah.
Have you not heard about the "slippery slope"?

People's lives will change if they get in hot water (whether it be legal or socially/politically ostracized) if they even mistakenly use so-called wrong terminology.

Old 01-03-2021, 11:43 AM

As a woman (formerly girl)...a wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt and great-aunt...I want to be referred to with the traditional feminine pronouns, dammit! It's my right, and I can be as out and proud and demanding that my pronouns be respected just as much as the next guy or gal.

FFS...

Old 01-03-2021, 11:50 AM

26,790 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
Whats so bad about respecting preferred pronouns?

Oh nothing,

nothing at all.
Except for that some of us would like to retain our sanity.

Old 01-03-2021, 11:53 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,356,074 times
Hallmark is going to just LOVE this! What are they going to do about Mother's Day, Father's Day...all those "Happy Birthday to My Wonderful Sister", or "My Wonderful Brother" cards? "Happy Birthday Grandson"?

They can always turn out "Happy Valentine's Day to My Spouse". Without any gender specific poetry, descriptions, or cartoons, of course. Or, "To My Offspring on Their Sweet Sixteen". "Happy Birthday to My Offspring's Offspring?"

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 01-03-2021 at 12:02 PM..

Old 01-03-2021, 11:55 AM

25,775 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
Whats so bad about respecting preferred pronouns?
Mainly because it is requiring use to deny, through the very use of our language which is in essence our "operating system," the biological reality we see right in front of our faces--i.e. it is requiring us to engage in voluntary insanity and denial of reality.

It's a very common and effective technique used to brainwash individuals. I recall, long ago, an episode of STNG where an alien species (the Romulans?) had captured Piccard and were torturing and brainwashing him. They kept telling him that they were holding a certain number of fingers up to his face when they were holding a different number of fingers up. They kept demanding that he agreed they were holding the number they said they were.

That is what our society now reminds me of. I never thought that series would be so prophetic. We had the Borg... now we are becoming them. We had this brainwashing episode... just like the sorts of things we are going through today with the gender nonsense and the election and so on...

Old 01-03-2021, 11:59 AM

9,109 posts, read 6,327,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
"Hello. Just calling to say Offspring 1 told me Parent 2 was going to be late picking up Offspring 2 from school. So, you might want to let Parent 1 know to wait on dinner. K? Thanks!"
OMG! If that becomes reality it would be so much easier to just have one parent and one child. Maybe that is the underlying Democrat objective.

Old 01-03-2021, 12:14 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,531,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
and yet......I'll bet you keep voting for them. Thanks alot.

Keep voting for authoritarian ego maniacs to represent the right and yes, I will vote for ANYONE on the left. If moderates would nominate someone more mainstream (e.g., John Kasich) I would happily vote for a republican.

Old 01-03-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
She feels AOC's breath on her back.
Correction: They feels AOC'S breath on their back.

(I'd argue that ya gotta keep "feels" and "back" because "They" and "their" refer to a singular person in this case).

Old 01-03-2021, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
There's nothing CRINGEworthy about these House rule changes. The rule will change mother and father to 'parents'; brother and sister to 'siblings'; wife and husband to 'spouse'; son and daughter to 'children'; and the like. This isn't one of those pick your own gender or pronoun changes.
You make a reasonable point...assuming this is *all* that they're doing (which I don't believe...remember the expression "slippery slope"?).

However, any and all changes like this cost time and money, so at best, this is a total waste of both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies